M240 - good buy in 2022?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been offered a used M240 (silver) with a 28mm Rokkor lens, a 35 mm color skopar (already have this), 2 batteries and an Olympus viewfinder for AUD $5000. Is it worth considering an M240 these days, or would I be better off looking at an M10?

Edited by Aussierob78

Well, there tends to be a $2000 (US) difference between the M240 and M10.  I recently bought the M240 after not using a digital Leica for like 10 years (My last was the M9).  I am completely satisfied with it.  Especially with it being 10 years old.  That said, if you can afford the M10, it certainly seems nicer.  The smaller more M like body with a more modern sensor would certainly be appreciated.  Myself, I will upgrade to a M10-R or M11 later in life because the M240 is good enough.    The price you are being offered is very good as long as everything is in good condition and works 100%.  

Edited by jsrockit
  • Like 2

The M240 has greater capabilities than the M10.  The philosophy of the M changed from a camera with added capabilities (240) to a more basic camera  with the M10.   M240 has better battery life.  The M240-P has a significantly better buffer and response than the M240, the M10 is better still.  The M240 has a level gauge, the M10 doesn't, the M10-P and R have it.  The imaging from any mentioned is good at base iso, at higher iso the M10 sensor is improved.  Many posts mention the improved evf with the M10, response time and screen, I don't see it as significant.  I can't comment on prices in Australia.   The body thickness or thinness is a personal matter, once a half case is attached it's less significant.  I use them interchangeably and could live forever with the M240.  Good luck.

• Like 3

The M240 is still an excellent camera.

It's one pf the best camera platforms that Leica has made. I have an M-P 240 and I love it. I've had it 7 years and it's worked faultlessly.

It's a joy to handle and the extra M-P features improve things further (bigger buffer, no badges, Leica script on top plate and sapphire glass on the rear screen). The battery life is excellent and the quality of the sensor output is first class.

I can thoroughly recommend it to you.

Ernst

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Aussierob78 said:

I've been offered a used M240 (silver) with a 28mm Rokkor lens, a 35 mm color skopar (already have this), 2 batteries and an Olympus viewfinder for AUD $5000. Is it worth considering an M240 these days, or would I be better off looking at an M10?

Advancements in Leica cameras seem to come in evolutionary steps rather than anything revolutionary so the M240 is very capable as long as the electronics hold up. $5K AUD seems a bit high to me, but I don't know how the market is down under.

Having said that if you want something more modern, I'm seeing M10P prices coming down. Just today, I saw a black one and a chrome one offered for $4500US, which is not much more than regular M10 prices.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can't go wrong with either. Get the one that makes the most financial sense.

• Thanks 1

While the M10 and M11 models offer upgrades to the rangefinder and other desirable features they have have not induced me to give up my M240.  It is good enough for my needs.  Also, with the proper accessories, one can use the EVF and flash simultaneously as well as add a microphone for video. So if these features are important - newer is not better.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Depends how you intend to use the camera. In RF mode the M240 works fine up to 3200 iso if you don't underexpose but in LV mode both Leica and Olympus EVFs are outdated. Depends also upon lenses. The M240 tends to show red edges with some UWA lenses like CV 21/4 or S-A 21/3.4 but the Rokkor 28/2.8 has not this issue. You may wish to check that the Rokkor has not too much "shneideritis" i.e. white spots on the black internal coating of the lens. I have no experience with the CV 35/2.5.

• Thanks 1

I have no experience with the Nokton 50/1.5 but if you like the current Summicron you may wish to consider its Japanese clone, the Hexanon 50/2, for a fraction of the price. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just bought a minty M240 silver with a 35mm Summilux FLE 11663. It came with full box (for both items) and purchase receipt dated in 2013.

I am a Canon user for many years and in fact I bought a Canon R6, before I discovered and started my Leica journey this year.

It all started with a used X2. I was impressed at the picture quality.  Then, I bought a X 113. The X 113 is my travel camera.  I always go around with it.

Then, I was eyeing on a Q2 but there was a very good deal for the M240 with the lens, and I jumped on it 🤣. My first rangefinder. 

I bought the set for slightly more than US$3400.

It's an interesting journey so far and I'm sure I'll keep going 🤣🤣🤣.

Edited by Jskywalker
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jskywalker said:

I just bought a minty M240 silver with a 35mm Summilux FLE 11663. It came with full box (for both items) and purchase receipt dated in 2013.

I bought the set for slightly more than US$3400. 

An FLE AND a M240?  

54 minutes ago, Jskywalker said:

The funny thing is after using the M240, all I can think of is M10R  or M11 but less of Q2... 🙄

If you bought an M10R you'd start thinking about the M11, right?

I use the M240, M10-P and M10-R interchangeably, for my use in daylight they aren't all that different, low light available light differences are greater.  If you like the 35FLE try the current 50/1.4 Asph, they're both amazing lenses and you might get more from another lens than a body, of course only you know what's best, I am just throwing it out as a suggestion.  

The price you paid was very very good, enjoy your new camera.  

Thanks. Will seriously consider a 2nd lens although I'm pretty happy with the 35mm.

The previous owner simply wanted to get rid of her Leica gear that she doesn't use it anymore... hence the price. 

Think some people tried the M which doesn't have the modern bell and whistle like auto focus etc. and doesn't like it 🤔