Rollei retro 400s/FX-39ii development time

Aryel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I ran out of r09 (i.e rodinal) and I really miss it, especially with rollei retro 400s. I cannot find a source here so went with Fotoimpex’s website suggestion and got some fx-39ii as an alternative to try.

Massive dev chart doesn’t suggest any starting time for this combination. Did anyone around try? Any suggestion on how to guess a starting point?

Used google translate and found this German chat that suggests 11-13.5 in 1+9. 
https://aphog.com/forum/index.php?thread/53425-rollei-retro-400s-in-fx39ii-anhaltspunkte/

Any idea?

Thanks a lot!

• 4 weeks later...

I feel the times on the MDC are too long for Adox FX39II. For HP5+ they said 14 minutes at 68 (20) degrees. Too long, overdeveloped, 10 or 11 minutes would be better, will try 11 next time. Looking at the MDC with Retro 400 and other 400 speed films I would go 12 minutes, but just an educated guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I feel the times on the MDC are too long for Adox FX39II. For HP5+ they said 14 minutes at 68 (20) degrees. Too long, overdeveloped, 10 or 11 minutes would be better, will try 11 next time. Looking at the MDC with Retro 400 and other 400 speed films I would go 12 minutes, but just an educated guess. 

Thanks a lot for your inputs. It is really helpful cause I feel I am moving in the same direction… I have tried these so far:

-rollei retro 400s 1+9 13.5 minutes was too long and too contrasty for me (switched to 1+14 for subsequent tests) and give it an extra stop to preserve the highlights 

-hp5 20 minutes 1+14 too long, some blown highlights (was exposed at 200) Sample

-sfx200 11 minutes 1+14 looked surprisingly good to me will shorten a bit next time Sample

-Just processed some rollei retro 400s exposed at 200. I did 17 minutes, 1+14, the negatives look good but havent’t scanned or printed anything yet. 

I’ll share some images once scanned. If you are experimenting, please share. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I feel the MDC times are too long for the Adox FX39II. For the HP5+ they said 14 minutes at 68 (20) degrees. Too long, too developed, 10 or 11 minutes would be better, next time I'll try 11. Looking at MDC with Retro 400 and other 400 speed movies, I'd go for 12 minutes, but just an educated guess. 

• Thanks 1

Scanned the roll of rollei retro 400s (17 minutes 1+14). Overall it is quite ok. I feel a tiny bit too long and not forgiving enough on the shadow side. Will revert back to 1+9 and try 10.5 minutes next time.

Luckily the kids are happy to volunteer 😁

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

m3, noctilux 50 f1.2, rollei retro 400s, fx39ii 1+14 for 17 minutes

1+9, 10 minutes 30 seconds looks really good to me. Will stick to this for now and try to print. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ii/iif with Hektor 28

ii/iif with a summitar 50

• Like 3