Strong Surf Shots?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here on Long Island, we have gale force winds and I'm planning to go to the ocean to take shots of the surf. Is it even advisable to do that with ocean spray and possibly sand in the wind? Probably a dumb question. I can put a filter on it, maybe a polarizer, but otherwise, I don't have protective gear for around the camera. 35-40mph winds. Thank you!

Edited by tivoli

25 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Gut feeling, based on no technical insight at all.....I would not use my Q2 in and around salt water spray, whereas I would be happy using it in rain.!

You need a Leica X-U!

Oh, didn't know about that camera! I'm always going kayaking, should have that one!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As a photographer who had only work cameras for many, many years - no matter what equipment I was shooting - went along on every shoot regardless of conditions.  Today, although I have much more expensive equipment, nothing has changed.  If you're near the shore your after-shoot clean up is different, but it's the same equipment whether I'm shooting wildlife in Yellowstone for a publication or on a Zodiac around Vancouver Island shooting whales at water level.  There are commercial water-tight bags/covers for such use, but I've generally made my own over the years with one-gallon zip-lock bags.  Larger lenses get larger bags.  Simply place the camera in the bag, cut a hole in one corner, attach a UV or clear filter on the lens and tape the bag to the filter. You then have a weather-proof container for your delicate equipment.  I also carry two shower caps in my bags for rain protection when out and about in inclimate weather just in case a surprise shower occurs.  Cameras today are far more resilient than they were decades ago, as long as you protect the electronics when necessary.  There is ALWAYS a work around if you have to be out "in it" with your gear.  I would never sacrifice quality by substituting a lesser camera for my best gear when needing to get the shot.  To me, if the shot isn't worth my best, it's not worth my time. 

Edited by DenverSteve
  • Like 3