Lens advice/ i want something fast in wide

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yea ,Yea i know like i need another freaking lens like i need a second hole in my head. But here goes i am torn here and on a budget yes a budget spent way too much already but here goes. I have the 12mm CV and the WATE and both are very nice lenses and i love them but there slow f4 or worse. Now my next fastest lens is the 28 cron , my little sweety but i could really use a faster lens wider than 28mm . Than if i went a 21 and 24mm asph to fill this need i have a faster lens than the WATE but a similar look. so what i am after is two things a faster wide but a differnt look than the WATE. My choices are and i think it maybe a good one is the 21mm pre asph or the Zeiss 21mm but i had this lens and it is really sharp and not so sure i truly want mind blitzing sharpness. the WATE is sharp enough could be more like the 24mm which i still think the sharpest wide angle by anyone but still extremely good.

So it seems like the 21mm preasph maybe a pretty good idea and the cost is a little more than I wanted to go but this is a tough one because I need the speed but want a look.

Idea's. I love the Mandler look too like my 75 lux. Not sure i can get this look and speed in the same lens.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had the Leica 21/2.8 preASPH it was to wide for me but it's a great lens. Wide open it is supposedly equal the 21ASPH. Giving up some resolution in the mid apertures to the newer lens. I found it to have a great look, nice OOF, sharp wide open. If I needed this focal length I'd buy it again. I find the Zeiss lenses much to contrasty for the M8.

Hi Guy

Though I have one for sale the zeiss is much nicer then the pre asphercial or even the aspherical 21 leica for my tastes. Ergonomics are so nice on the zeiss 21 being a 46 filter. I never liked the balance of the 21 elmarit. I am selling mine because of money pressure just buying a wate. I am keeping my 25 zeiss that might be a good alternative because you do not need a viewfinder. David

I would consider the 24/2.8 asph, which is a lens in a class all of its own. It is a wide angle lens but the pictures that it produces do not appear wide angle. And it does not contain an angle of view already covered by your WATE. The look of the 24/2.8 asph is quite different from a super wide angle and more like a traditional 35 mm lens. It is not without reason that Erwin Puts has called this lens a masterpiece lens, cf (34) More on masterpieces | Photography and image capture: the Leica technique and philosophy by Erwin Puts | Erwin Puts.

The 2.8 lens speed should not speak against the 24 mm lens. You do have the 28 cron which is a step faster. If you want a faster wide angle lens the 35/1.4 asph (if you can still call it wide angle on the M8) is unbeatable and like the 24/2.8 asph in a class all of its own (being the descendant of another masterpiece according to Puts, the ASPHERICAL 35).

So, in my eyes, the 24/2.8 must be the logical choice for you. I have never heard before that sharpness should be a disadvantage of a Leica lens. Anyway, although the 24/2.8 would probably not be your first choice for portraits, since you have the 75 Lux and the Noctilux (?), you could, in certain situations, use it also for portraits with special effects.

Guest guy_mancuso

Well the 24mm keeps coming up in my head too. i had one . Hell i had them all almost. LOL The 24mm is the sharpest there is no question. It's so close to the 28 cron though which makes me keep backing off it but if i found one for a good price i may jump on it anyway

Well, I'm a soft touch for fast wide-angles - I have the Nikon 28mm f1.4 and I'm looking forward to using it more as and when I move to Nikon FX - but I was hoping for a model which was less compromised on DX - but I digress.

Bill's been banging the drum on this for a while and while I welcome the introduction of the Summarits and the broad market appeal they will undoubtedly have, I hope there's a will and some money in the budget to really push the envelope.

The Summarits may be competent and good value, but compared to the Nocti, the MATE and the 75/1.4, all gone or at risk, they're a bit safe and predictable.

your real problem is that with the exception of the 24 and 50's every lens is out of stock generally...

we are a year into this M8-and there are no lenses available. Discounting used, which is hit and miss on availability, I can't go down to the biggest volume seller in the biggest volume city and buy a friggin 28 cron.

And now we have the announcements of the summarits, what about the old lenses????

I really can't understand Leicas priorities. Tooling up for an entire new line of lenses when they can't supply what they already have?

I honestly expected them to be past the M8 bubble now and back to a regular supply of glass.

While I love my M8-I, honestly, if this were any other manufacturer they'd be dead in the water by now on their record of simply delivering what they sell. Or have they become a bespoke suit maker while I have not noticed>

sorry for the rant.

btw the zeiss 25 is excellent. If they made a 28 f2 for M I'd be all over it.

Other slightly better optical performance, an additional benefit the current Leica 21mm has over the pre-Asph 21mm Elmarit is a more rational 55mm filter size. (The 60mm filter size of the older lens is oddball and not always handy in the stores.)

BUT I love my old Elmarit's performance nonetheless!

-g

The 21mm pre-ASPH Elmarit is a very nice lens if you can live with a 60mm filter thread. Don't you believe what Erwin says about it – it does handle backlighting very well. This grab shot was done wide open.

The old man from the Age of Walter Mandler

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!