M2 - Looks like a great deal

It's an awful repaint on a chrome camera. I suspect it's been done without removing the chrome first, in which case the paint won't stick and will look terrible and not have the classic brassed look as the paint wears off. You can see the chrome showing through on the edges near the strap lugs and on the rewind knob.

Edited by 250swb

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

It's an awful repaint on a chrome camera. I suspect it's been done without removing the chrome first, in which case the paint won't stick and will look terrible and not have the classic brassed look as the paint wears off. You can see the chrome showing through on the edges near the strap lugs and on the rewind knob.

listen to 250!  If the paint was indeed just applied to the chrome it will come off in patches showing the silver underneath, not nice patina.

I’ve had cameras like this before.  Paint should be applied directly to the base brass layer.  Properly painted chrome cameras have the chrome removed before painting.

The selftimer also shows chrome through the paint. This camera will look very bad in no time.

One has to speculate that the chrome below the paint may have been sanded to help for the paint to adhere (it doesn't really help) and therefore just removing the paint from this camera may show something that looks very ugly.

I suspect the only way to reestablish a reasonable finish would be a new repaint done the right way, and that is not cheap.

A CLA never happened unless there is documentation - ask to see it.

9 hours ago, nitroplait said:

A CLA never happened unless there is documentation - ask to see it.

Yeah a CLA is a big deal, people know it and also know if it actually happened they would have the docs to prove it.  Because you don’t throw that stuff away as it adds value!

I’ve seen lots of ads where they say cla, but with no evidence.  Or some lame excuse as to why they don’t have the docs etc.  A cla with a rattle can paint job is very doubtful - that just smacks of trying to maximize their return on shoddy work.

17 hours ago, kivis said:

Still a good deal if you can verify the CLA and get someone to restore the body color. IF...

There are so many decent Ms out there, why risk it on something dubious?  Something like this could quickly turn into a money pit.

I would never buy a repaint unless I was involved from the beginning because there’s no way to know what the camera was like before the facelift. I know from two examples one mine and one belonged to a friend even if the top was originally smashed in a craftsman can make it look new. 

The only repaint I have owned was a big M6 black paint from Kanto. It was perfect. There are not many others that do they work they do at that quality level. 

Posted (edited)
On 9/30/2022 at 10:39 AM, Huss said:

Yeah a CLA is a big deal, people know it and also know if it actually happened they would have the docs to prove it.  Because you don’t throw that stuff away as it adds value!

I’ve seen lots of ads where they say cla, but with no evidence.  Or some lame excuse as to why they don’t have the docs etc.  A cla with a rattle can paint job is very doubtful - that just smacks of trying to maximize their return on shoddy work.

I totally agree with you. The really frustrating thing is that, as far as I know, NONE of the major independent Leica techs send an actual, hard copy receipt anymore.  Two of the major players only send a boiler plate email!  So...what to do???

I notice that respected Nikon F2 repair guy, Sover Wong, lists the serial number of every F2 body that he has serviced on his website. He will also send a complete description of work done and even photos of the disassembled body upon request.  I wish all of the major techs did this...or something like it.

With old Leicas, I prefer to buy a body with good cosmetics and no noticeable defects and have it overhauled myself...that way, I know the work was done and I know who did it. Of course, the other, possibly better, option is to buy from a respected dealer, like Tamarkin.

Edited by BradS