New and old 28mm Summicron on M10M

MontuckyLow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have experience with the both versions of the 28 Summicron on an M10M?

According to Sean Reid, the newest version is a significant upgrade. However, he didn’t test it on a monochrom camera and after reading his newer reviews it seems that the M10M makes a lot of lenses shine, even if they preform poorly on other cameras.

Sean talks about version one having lower contrast, poorer off-axis resolution, and less resistant to veiling flare. How does this translate in real life images?

The price difference between the new and older Summicron is pretty high. Would I regret not saving up for the newest version or should I put blinders on and enjoy the first version while saving a bit of cash.

I mainly shoot landscapes and environmental portraits with a 28mm. I’d like my lens to have good micro contrast, be sharp, and have some “pop”. For what it’s worth, I’m also looking at the Voigtlander 28mm Ultron ii.

Thank you

I have no experience with the V2 lens, but use the V1 often on my Monochroms.  I read Sean Reid's review of the V2 and, of course, wanted to upgrade. However the V1 works so well for me it doesn't seem to be worth it.  Now if I didn't have a 28 Summicron, and could afford it, I'd go with the V2.

Here is a link (for download) to a shot taken with the V1 using my M246.  It is a processed Tiff and a big file.  If you would like the original DNG I am happy to provide it.

http://lukemiller.photos/images/GMC-Truck.tif

I like a lot of detail in my Monochrom images, so in addition to normal sharpening I add some Structure (Silverefex Pro/C1) or texture (Lightroom). This brings out detail that might not be obvious in the original shot.

Edited by Luke_Miller
Additional info
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Luke_Miller said:

I have no experience with the V2 lens, but use the V1 often on my Monochroms.  I read Sean Reid's review of the V2 and, of course, wanted to upgrade. However the V1 works so well for me it doesn't seem to be worth it.  Now if I didn't have a 28 Summicron, and could afford it, I'd go with the V2.

Here is a link (for download) to a shot taken with the V1 using my M246.  It is a processed Tiff and a big file.  If you would like the original DNG I am happy to provide it.

http://lukemiller.photos/images/GMC-Truck.tif

I like a lot of detail in my Monochrom images, so in addition to normal sharpening I add some Structure (Silverefex Pro/C1) or texture (Lightroom). This brings out detail that might not be obvious in the original shot.

thanks so much for the file! sweet truck... reminds exactly of rural Virginia. cheers!

35 minutes ago, MontuckyLow said:

Thanks, Jeff.

Looks plenty usable to me... 

I always have to do my own shooting, editing and print making to assess.  Frankly, I don’t know of any Leica lens (especially any fairly modern one) that isn’t “plenty usable” on any M. A terrific camera/sensor like the M10-M will only serve to bring out the character of a quality lens, like most any Summicron. But I can produce wildly different print rendering results using any given camera/lens combo; the lens is rarely limiting. Pixel peeping along picture edges is not my thing, though others might obsess.  Plus, lens handling and ergonomics (including hood design*) are important to me, and the only way for me to judge is by actual use.  YMMV.

* I use an alternate hood on my 28 Summicron ASPH v.1

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

I always have to do my own shooting, editing and print making to assess.  Frankly, I don’t know of any Leica lens (especially any fairly modern one) that isn’t “plenty usable” on any M. A terrific camera/sensor like the M10-M will only serve to bring out the character of a quality lens, like most any Summicron. But I can produce wildly different print rendering results using any given camera/lens combo; the lens is rarely limiting. Pixel peeping along picture edges is not my thing, though others might obsess.  Plus, lens handling and ergonomics (including hood design*) are important to me, and the only way for me to judge is by actual use.  YMMV.

* I use an alternate hood on my 28 Summicron ASPH v.1

Jeff

‘Plenty usable’ was likely a poor choice of words on my part. 

What lens hood do you use? 

41 minutes ago, MontuckyLow said:

‘Plenty usable’ was likely a poor choice of words on my part. 

What lens hood do you use? 

I understood what you meant.  Any modern Leica lens on an M is capable of fantastic, or mediocre, results …depending on user capability and display requirements.

I use the #12589 hood, designed for the 35 Summilux ASPH or the 28 Elmarit.  The stock hood is huge. There are many old discussions on alternatives.

Jeff

• Like 1

Well the v1 28 Summicron was one of my best and favourite lenses. Used on M9 Monochrome, M9, M240 and M 10, as well as film cameras.

I went through three samples of the v2 till I found one that performed better than my v1.  Leica Store agreed based on comparisons I did with my lens vs each sample. This was primarily edge performance and marginal with the 3rd sample . The two lenses otherwise render identically.  

A well respected American dealer suggested I not waste my money upgrading.

I had not had major flare issues with v1 and very much disagree with Anakronox.  Haven't appreciated any difference between v1 and v2 regarding this.

I very much respect Sean Reid and subscribe to his site. However, my experience is there is so much individual sample variation this may easily account for much of the difference with comparisons between lenses. This is not an uncommon probolem.

However I updated because: it was one of my two most used focal lengths and I had GAS, I had a buyer for the v1 for an excellent price, I liked the new hood - stupid reasons actually considering how good my v1 was 🙄.  Having said that I'm very happy with the v2 lens. 

I don't think you'd be unhappy with a good v1 28 Summicron if you want to save some money.

Edited by MarkP