What is your 'walk around' Sigma lens...

Oliver Christie

Very vague question. Price point? Subject? Weight? AF and MF lenses - very different styles of shooting and vastly different weights. Why only Sigma? 

My answers would be Panasonic 50/1.8 or Sigma 65/2 or Voigtländer 40/1.2 (the most light option) or Leica 28/2 SL or Voigtländer 50/1.0 or Leica R 50/1.4 E60 

Edited by Sandokan

13 minutes ago, Sandokan said:

Very vague question. Price point? Subject? Weight? AF and MF lenses - very different styles of shooting and vastly different weights. Why only Sigma? 

My answers would be Panasonic 50/1.8 or Sigma 65/2 or Voigtländer 40/1.2 (the most light option) or Leica 28/2 SL or Voigtländer 50/1.0 or Leica R 50/1.4 E60 

You are quite right!

Price point - Not Leica prices!

Weight - Light and compact

AF/MF - Either

Subject - A bit of everything

Make - Anything with a bit of character 

• Haha 1

Try the Sigma 45/2.8 - great bokeh wide open ( sharp in center and soft to edges - great character ) - very sharp stopped down 1 stop or more - very reasonably priced - small and compact - manual/AF switch on lens.

• Like 3

I have the 45/2.8 but havent got around to using it yet, but its for my TL2 where as a 67.5 it is longer than normal. It is small and compact and feels good to carry on the Tl2 or SL

For MF, I do like the rendering of Canon FD lenses, such as the 50/1.4; soft at 1.4 but sharp by 2.8

I have got the 2,8/28-70mm which I use on my S5 - for me an excellent compromise of size, weight, price and image quality. I purchased both S5 and this lens as I have been looking for a lightweight combo to take with me when I go hiking with my wife on the weekends. In the S5 sample thread you will find some shots with this combo. Also I just received a note yesterday that there is (at least in Germany) a cash-back action from Sigma until end of October, where you would get up to €200 back per lens (€100 for the 28-70).

Edited by hofo100

Sigma 45mm lens, not sure what all this love for it is. I got my copy when it came out and used it the first week. And I never use it again.

what a boring lens!

it is small and it can take pictures, the picture quality is ok, but there is nothing that makes this lens interesting.

There is no great separation or character, just a snapshot.

Anyone wants my lens? 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Photoworks:

Sigma 45mm lens, not sure what all this love for it is. I got my copy when it came out and used it the first week. And I never use it again.

what a boring lens!

it is small and it can take pictures, the picture quality is ok, but there is nothing that makes this lens interesting.

Anyone wants my lens? 

Indeed, Sigma 45mm is a booring lens.
The right words you use.

4 hours ago, Photoworks said:

what a boring lens!

Anyone wants my lens? 

I would love it, even just to see what you are seeing. I know what you mean by boring lens hence my question.

How much are you thinking with postage to Colorado Springs?

2 hours ago, satijntje said:

Indeed, Sigma 45mm is a booring lens.
The right words you use.

I don’t find it boring at all but, for some reason, it obviously splits opinion. It’s sharp enough for me at all apertures but (& only very close up at f2.8) it’s got a bit of glow which I like. Stand back and it’s sharp. I admit that I’m a fan of the Sigma i Contemporary lenses though - I use the 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2 and the 100-400 as well.

Still, the 45mm is the one I’m drawn to using the most on my SL2-s when I’m just out and about. When I was looking for a small walk around AF prime to complement the 24-70 VE (which I also like very much, heavy as it is), and reading reviews etc. I saw a thread over on the Macfilos site and noticed that the 45 Sigma was a lens that the inspirational Nick Ut used and was complimentary about. Of course, what suits me won’t suit everyone, you pays your money…….

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I use the Panasonic 1.8/50 in addition to the Leica Vario-Elmar SL 2.8/24-70 Asph. Performance is not outstanding, but it is enough for most cases.

Attached is a test photo (ooC DNG only converted to jpg in C1, unfortunately not as sharp in the forum as on my monitor Mac Studio😞

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!