Sign in to follow this  
leffe

ONE Lens

Eoin, I hope your Noctilux works out, because I still hope to buy your 75 I just have no money right now.

You can drop me a line when funds suffice as well. I might say no. I'm dithering. Don't use it enough, but love it....

I think what he meant was that the depth remains the same despite the crop so it appears wider than it is. I've noticed this phenomenon as well - one needs to get even closer to the subject with a 35 to replicate the look and feel of a 50mm on a full frame body. A 21mm shot with the M8 seems a lot wider than it is than with a 28mm on full frame and so on.

Make sense?

I made a similar assumption when I started to use M8 ... made also some post about this "perspective issue" ... well, I was wrong, and Lars and Erl are right... I studied well the question : there is no doubt that, say, 21mm on M8 and 28 mm on 24x36, at the same distance from the subjects GIVE THE SAME PERSPECTIVE. The difference is in Depth Of Field ... this really is related to absolute focal length... but DOF is a delicate concept to be defined exactly... expecially when compare film with CCD... anyway, if anyone has ever tried to see two prints from film, one from a 6x9 (105 mm lens) and one from 24x36 (50 mm lens, same aperture) you realize that the DOF factor does exist... I did this trial with my Super Ikonta; but I think that the difference between an M8 and 24x36 is difficult to appreciate in this respect. BTW, this is one of the reason for with really LARGE film formats (13x18 or 18x24) all the cameras have the capability to make regulations on lens and film holder positioning (the so called "movements").

I bow out gracefully Eoin. I was under the impression you were in two minds just like me...sorry.

He *is* in two minds, I think, but one mind is weaker

Eoin, you will have some time to enjoy it; I need to start saving for my 30% Noct.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting most folks are in the 50mm FF look here aka 35mm on the M8. Apparently many bought 50mm standard lens in the old days and that became there norm.

What is interesting some of the older folks will remember this is when you bought a 35mm film camera it pretty much came with a 50mm as a kit and buying just a body was somewhat rare. Times have changed but i wonder if most remember this marketing back than.

also as we all know a 50mm FF lens resembles the view of the human eye.

But i always liked 35mm FF so i am the 28mm camp on the M8

pretty interesting the choices here

If I needed the camera to make a living, (which I do), then my choice will be 28mm F2.8 or F2.0, for the PJ side of life.

I still have some of the 50mm kit lenses.... of many brands...

In the film days, when I had to choose just one prime lens I was always choosing the 50mm.

In the digital era I would go for the closest equivalent, the 35mm.

And as for me a Leica before everything else should be really compact, I will go for the 35 Summicron. Finally, as much as I like the 35/2 version IV, I prefer the better sharpness and contrast of the current Asph, so my choice of one only lens would be...

...the 35mm Summicron Asph

Sorry Jaap, I never read your post above

. I'm tired telling him, but he just won't listen. I'm trying to go the other way, less is more!. If the Noctilux works out I'm like a pig in clover. I just can't get to the stage where I have all together and working correctly that I can try to make an informed decision. Soon I hope.

Anyway Carsten you'll have one up on that Mancuso chap, I read yesterday he missed the boat so to speak or to be more exact, the postmark for the Noctilux. At least you'll be able to tease him in about 4 months. LOL

Guest guy_mancuso
I'd better not tease Guy or he will add more lenses. I don't want to be responsible for his divorce or any sold kids.

Yes and i am looking for something too which is really dangerous

My M8 kit is a 28/2 and 50/1.4 but if I had only one then I'd go for the 35/1.4.

My kit in general is the same, I did a job for the Wall Street Journal yesterday and used the 28/2 90% of the time, mainly because I don't have an IR filter for the 43mm LHSA 50 lux.

Tomorrow I start a piece on illegal immigrants, again, because I want to keep it low key and not be fumbling with lenses, the 28/2 will be the choice.