Forum no longer working on an iPad

250swb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK it's an old iPad, but after the recent software update it no longer works with the Forum.

The problems I've identified so far are that the 'reply to thread' box is minimised and won't open up and remains a thin narrow band at the bottom of the page. I can only 'Like' a posting, no 'Laugh' or 'Thanks' options. The three little bars at the top right of the screen are unresponsive. I can't knock off the 'Happy Birthday' notifications at the top of the screen. I can't get access to any notifications. I am however properly logged in (but only accessible by pressing my icon) and can get to my account details and read all the posts, but I can't now even log out of the forum to try and log in again to see if that fixes the issues.

I know there is an aggressive policy by Apple to make older equipment redundant and no longer supported, and my iPad is gradually losing the ability to communicate through apps as a result of this. Maybe this is the case here?

12 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

Do you have firmware 15.7?

Not everyone can update to the new version of iPadOS, especially older models.

My first iPad is over 10 years old and is locked to iPadOS 12.5.6 too. And yes I still use it to watch YouTube etc. 😊

Edited by OThomas

Yes that could be the answer, I can't update anymore, Apple need for me to buy a new iPad or they'll go bust, but I'm resistant to it in principle never mind the price. Mine has stopped updating at iOS 10.3.3 but as said above by @OThomas I can still watch You Tube (but not via their app), Amazon Prime, Twitch, etc. so some companies can accommodate older firmware.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The same thing happened to my main Mac Pro desktop production computer (definitely older, and not upgradable any time soon due to a complicated and expensive mix of older peripherals and software that will need to be replaced).

I even "saw" it happen, exactly at noon GMT on Monday (Sept 26 - 6 am local time), in the middle of a post. The screen jumped, and I was tossed out of the posting box, which became minimized and unclickable, and remains so. Activity searches broken as well.

I'm posting this from my wife's newer iMac, but that's not very convenient, especially for posting pictures. So my participation here will also be minimized for the foreseeable future.

There are lots of sites I can still use - so it is too bad the L-Camera Forum has damaged its own "backwards compatibility."

On Monday I upgraded the forum to a new version of the forum software.

I had to take this step as my provider is going to stop support for an old version of the underlying script language (PHP 7.4).

This caused an avalanche of necessary updates (PHP => Forum Software => Plugins) which took several weeks.

Sorry to hear that it's not working on all devices, but in general I'm really happy the update worked so quietly.

I'll try to fix the issues described by @250swb and @adan

First step: 

Maybe your problems are not caused by the update itself but by a mixture of old and new content – caused by cached content.

Please try to empty your caches and restart the browser.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb adan:

Monday (Sept 26 - 6 am local time), in the middle of a post. The screen jumped, and I was tossed out of the posting box, which became minimized and unclickable, and remains so. Activity searches broken as well.

This was the update itself, please try again with your old configuration. Activity searches were broken as the search index had to be rebuilt.

@250swb If the forum doesn't work on your iPad please try another browser like Chrome. 

The issues you describe (editor not showing up) point to problems with Javascript.

Andreas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LUF Admin said:

Activity searches were broken as the search index had to be rebuilt.

Thanks for the consideration.

The issue I was having with the Activity Menu in the page header was that the Forum would not even respond to mouse-clicks on the menu at all. It did not appear to even recognize that it had been clicked on. That was with a standard single-button Apple mouse

vor 13 Minuten schrieb adan:

The issue I was having with the Activity Menu in the page header was that the Forum would not even respond to mouse-clicks on the menu at all.

This sounds too like a Javascript problem. Do you still have that issue?

If so, please try another browser too.

Andreas

Thank you Andreas.

The Chrome app doesn't gain access, possibly even worse, but it shows the same problems, I can read posts but buttons aren't working and inability to reply to threads. As a cross reference the Chrome app does work with the forum on my iPhone 6.

7 minutes ago, OThomas said:

Why should forum members have to change?

First: This wasn't an advice to change in general but to try out another browser in order to find the reason for the issue:

• Is the problem in general with the forum software?
  • Is it the device or the connection between device and the forum server
  • Is it the browser?

Second: I do my very best to offer the forum on as many devices as possible. But there are limits: I can't promise 100% backward compatibility to legacy browsers – this would cripple the function scope and performance for the vast majority of all forum users.

Additionally: This doesn't lie in my hands:

• My hosting provider stops support for PHP 7.4 in a few weeks – thus I have to switch to PHP8
  • This means I have to update the forum software to the current version
  • And I have only a limited influence on the forum software maker…

Some other German forums I know are still running old forum software – and every now and then these forums are down and have security breaches and data loss.
I'm pretty sure no forum member would appreciate this approach in the long run…

Andreas

• Like 3

A couple of years ago I managed the development of a new website - nothing as complex as this. The biggest arguments among the team were about how much time and coding effort should go into making it run on different devices and browsers:

• Operating systems: OS, iOS, iPadOS, Windows, Linux, Android (and how many years back?)
  • Browsers: Safari, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, Chrome....
  • Interfaces: mouse, pen, touch, keyboard
  • Adaptive design for screens: desktop, laptop, tablet, smartphone

We had to give up on some aspects: no support for Internet Explorer; certain actions by mouse couldn't work with a finger etc.

I don't envy anyone doing this as a day job!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

A couple of years ago I managed the development of a new website - nothing as complex as this. The biggest arguments among the team were about how much time and coding effort should go into making it run on different devices and browsers:

• Operating systems: OS, iOS, iPadOS, Windows, Linux, Android (and how many years back?)
  • Browsers: Safari, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, Chrome....
  • Interfaces: mouse, pen, touch, keyboard
  • Adaptive design for screens: desktop, laptop, tablet, smartphone

We had to give up on some aspects: no support for Internet Explorer; certain actions by mouse couldn't work with a finger etc.

I don't envy anyone doing this as a day job!

But if you look at the games community who pay either for the game, or if not that possibly for additional content by purchases, or both, or none at all if 'playing for free', the games companies bust a gut to keep older devices active because the people generally paid for content in money or involvement. It doesn't matter if it's a whizz kid try-hard with the latest PC or other interface, or a potato fuelled PC somewhere in Siberia, older devices have to be honoured. And it's obviously the same with the games forums, nobody gets cut off. Maybe over time users of older devices start to feel they are losing out when new game content is delivered, and this generates upgrading by the user, but they aren't cut off in a stroke from their game or the community they are in. Games companies are big business, but they know their customers and know it's they who make them big companies.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1