Leica X2 vs Leica X vario vs Leica TL

ceaser333

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Been learning photography from the past year. I use fuji.

I want to buy a leica and start working on my street photography skills. Saved up just enough to pick one of those above cameras.

Can anyone please suggest 🙏, which camera I should buy.

Thanks in advance ☺️

What are your skills ....can you shoot manual or are you happy with auto? ....  As wad stated, almost any camera can be used for street photo and it seems like for some reason you are bent on making a Leica 'it', regardless if you have skills beyond 'wanting a leica'.  My suggestion would be to learn street photography. Find what works for you and how you want to shoot it,....then and only then....begin to seek a camera or more importantly, a lens. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good advice already posted. As someone who owns and uses all 3 (4 if you include Fuji) I would echo that all can produce satisfying images.  The differences are more to do with handling / enjoyment / inspiration than any mysterious difference in performance.  Sadly you can't buy your way to being a better photographer (or at least I can't).

Much depends on how / what you photograph, and what you personally like. The X / T cameras are still great, despite not having the latest AF etc etc etc.  Then again, if you don't rely on regular post processing, Fuji are rightly valued for the range and quality of their out-of-camera JPEGs.  If you "want" to get into Leica, then welcome !  There may not be a huge amount of logic to it, but if it gets you out and taking more images, then its worth it.

Personally I keep coming back to my venerable X Vario, which is not perfect but is remarkably easy and intuitive to carry and use. 

Possibly you just have to pick one/ buy one and see if you like it.  Sensibly bought, you won't lose as much money as you would chasing the newest electronic wizardry.

A good Fuji image will always beat an average Leica one, and vice versa.

All three cameras require a supplementary electronic viewfinder for eye level composition as distinct from 'monitor' composition. Check which viewfinders are within your budget. The Olympus VF-2 EVF fits both the X2 and X Vario; the Leica T, TL and TL2 require the Leica Viso 020 EVF which is more expensive than the VF-2. Advantage of the ICL Leica T series is that they're usable with many non-Leica, legacy msnual focus lenses via adapters. Possible to source a s/h Leica T for as little as £250  - but a s/h  AF Leica TL lens will cost c.£600. Ref Leica X2 and X Vario: Leica Camera AG no longer offer servicing / repairs for any Leica X series cameras. Leica T / TL cameras might not be worth repairing as Leica Camera AG repair costs could exceed s/h replacement cost. 

Here's another thing: size. Do you want a super compact camera you can carry around with you just about everywhere you go? Then choose the X2. Get an accessory optical viewfinder (Voigtländer is good) and it is still super portable. The other two are much bulkier. Of course, you have to put up with a single focal length, 35mm-equiv., but that's no it's very versatile and a faster lens, better in low light.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/15/2022 at 7:39 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

All three cameras require a supplementary electronic viewfinder for eye level composition as distinct from 'monitor' composition. Check which viewfinders are within your budget. The Olympus VF-2 EVF fits both the X2 and X Vario; the Leica T, TL and TL2 require the Leica Viso 020 EVF which is more expensive than the VF-2. Advantage of the ICL Leica T series is that they're usable with many non-Leica, legacy msnual focus lenses via adapters. Possible to source a s/h Leica T for as little as £250  - but a s/h  AF Leica TL lens will cost c.£600. Ref Leica X2 and X Vario: Leica Camera AG no longer offer servicing / repairs for any Leica X series cameras. Leica T / TL cameras might not be worth repairing as Leica Camera AG repair costs could exceed s/h replacement cost. 

As David says, a fixed focal length cameras only needs a small optical viewfinder.

Minimal. It is exactly over the lens and only a small distance up - and most have vertical parallax markings. This is for street photography. One often frames loosely anyway. 

On 9/25/2022 at 2:19 PM, ceaser333 said:

Hello,

Been learning photography from the past year. I use fuji.

I want to buy a leica and start working on my street photography skills. Saved up just enough to pick one of those above cameras.

Can anyone please https://100001.onl/ suggest 🙏, which camera I should buy.

Thanks in advance ☺️

I got this,...

• 5 weeks later...

I would suggest the X2.... if you are just getting in street photography, it is the cheapest of those you listed. If you get the T/TL line etc...you have to purchase an array of lens and they get expensive.  If you get the X Vario, it is just larger..... The X2 is about perfect size and easy to work with. A lovely camera and lens combo. Get the X2, not the X1....

1 hour ago, lmans said:

I would suggest the X2.... if you are just getting in street photography, it is the cheapest of those you listed. If you get the T/TL line etc...you have to purchase an array of lens and they get expensive.  If you get the X Vario, it is just larger..... The X2 is about perfect size and easy to work with. A lovely camera and lens combo. Get the X2, not the X1....

Unless you can only find an X1. Same lens and format. 

42 minutes ago, wda said:

Unless you can only find an X1. Same lens and format. 

Mostly the same....yes. I believe the x2 takes an Olympus VF-2 Viewfinder which makes viewing thru in 'live' possible. I like that aspect of it.

I have the X Vario, X2, and CL.

Good and bad about the X Vario and X2, from a street photography standpoint:

o Both can use the Leica EVF-2 (Olympus VF-2). It can be used as a right-angle finder, so more discreet for street shooting.

o X Vario is built like a tank. Bit heavier, but super solid-feeling.

o X2 has a lighter build. I tend to baby the X2 more than the X Vario because it feels a bit fragile.

o X2 shows zone focus range in manual focus mode, which is nice for zone focusing.

o Both use leaf shutters so not much shutter noise.

o Both are fairly small so more discreet.

Toshi