90mm Elmar Macro collapsible. Anybody use this with M10?

tappan

Mark,  The 90mm Elmar Macro is the most highly resolving lens of the Leica M 90mm lenses.  I owned it for a few years and my assistant bought it from me as he needed it for building his portfolio.  The lens is superb, compact and highly resolving of course.  The current version utilizes the unique and adjustable Leica M macro adapter.  You will find forum photographers who use this lens a lot in their photography, from travel, portraits, landscapes.  You have an M10-P and it works great on the camera.  If you have the Visoflex view finder that will help, but not necessary.  The lens works with both the rangefinder and live view on the rear screen.  You might look at some photographs taken with this lens here.

Try:  https://onfotolife.com/lens_sample_photos?lens_id=391&page=1&focal_min=0&focal_max=800&aperture_min=0&aperture_max=32

I am certain other users will chime in with their thoughts as well.  r/ Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So I bought this fabulous little lens 9 years ago.
My thoughts haven't changed since I started this thread (linked below) at that time. 

It is now used on my M10, SL-2 and film M Leicas.  It rounds out a very compact with the 2.8/50 Macro-Elmarit-M and 2.8/28 Elmarit-M for when I want a very compact and versatile lens kit.

Mine is the older model that used goggles for macro work. It is optically identical to the current model.  As I don't do any macro work I've not bought the macro adapter. If you don't do much macro work you could save some money and buy the older version.

Regards,
Mark

ps: I should add that I found that the small lens hood for the 2.8/509 Elmarit-M was more than adequate to reduce flare in the 4.0/90 Macro-Elmar-M in most situations so I bought another so I have one for each lens.  It makes the lens even more compact and easier to use than with the original hood.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 3

The late Erwin Puts was a fan…in his Leica Chronicle, he characterizes the 90 Macro-Elmar as among the five or so "best performing lenses ever made for the 135 format," and as "simply the best general purpose 90mm lens in the current M range."

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love this lens. Perfect for travel. Small, lightweight, sharp... It's part of my "standard travel combo: 21SEM, TRI-ELMAR-M 28-35-50MM and 90MACRO. I use it without any restrictions on M10-D, M11 and SL2. 

Here some examples https://www.flickr.com/gp/siggigun/ibau323X14

Edited by SiggiGun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I doubt very much that you would find anyone who actually owns this lens, new or old, complain about it. I do own it (the older version) nd it works extremely well with all my Leica: M9, M-p(240) and my recently acquired SL2. I do not have the macro attachment, so cannot comment on that part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:39 PM, Jean-Michel said:

I doubt very much that you would find anyone who actually owns this lens, new or old, complain about it

I am not really complaining…

…though: the classical 12575 hood could be placed in reversed position on the lenses front with the first version so you could pack both together.  This is not possible anymore with the second version as its front has been increased a little bit without any necessity. So you always have to keep the lens and its hood separate.

If you compare the 90 Elmar with old collpsible lenses, you may find that it is not well built. All old collapsible lenses had a definite point where you fixed the extracted lens and it stayed fixed. When you fix the 90mm Elmar‘s extracted shaft, it still feels loose, so you might loosen it completely by changing f-stops (same problem with the last version of the 50mm Elmar-M). For its price you expect a more solid built.

The main attraction for the last version was the Macro-Adapter-M. You could use it with the 90mm Elmar and Liveview to achieve excellent close-ups. If you look at the Leica site you don‘t find the Macro-Adapter-M anymore. This does not say much, as the site is completely messed up and looks as if it was designed by someone with no interest in Leica. The online store still knows it, though it says, that the adapter is not available. Would they really dump the excellent adapter?

Edited by UliWer

3 hours ago, UliWer said:

I am not really complaining…

…though: the classical 12575 hood could be placed in reversed position on the lenses front with the first version so you could pack both together.  This is not possible anymore with the second version as its front has been increased a little bit without any necessity. So you always have to keep the lens and its hood separate.

If you compare the 90 Elmar with old collpsible lenses, you may find that it is not well built. All old collapsible lenses had a definite point where you fixed the extracted lens and it stayed fixed. When you fix the 90mm Elmar‘s extracted shaft, it still feels loose, so you might loosen it completely by changing f-stops (same problem with the last version of the 50mm Elmar-M). For its price you expect a more solid built.

The main attraction for the last version was the Macro-Adapter-M. You could use it with the 90mm Elmar and Liveview to achieve excellent close-ups. If you look at the Leica site you don‘t find the Macro-Adapter-M anymore. This does not say much, as the site is completely messed up and looks as if it was designed by someone with no interest in Leica. The online store still knows it, though it says, that the adapter is not available. Would they really dump the excellent adapter?

Interesting combo with the adapter, how close can you get when paired with the macro adapter? 

2 hours ago, jakontil said:

Interesting combo with the adapter, how close can you get when paired with the macro adapter? 

1:2 reproduction ratio.  Even more if an Elpro 52 is attached, or if another adapter is stacked. The Red Dot Forum (Leica Miami) boys cover all this at about 1:14:28 in the following episode…

Miami store still lists the adapter in stock.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, UliWer said:

The online store still knows it, though it says, that the adapter is not available. Would they really dump the excellent adapter?

It wouldn't surprise me. I imagine stocks of the adapter are built in batches and it may not be a big enough seller to justify making another batch.

The 90 Macro-Elmar-M is my most used lens (in terms of shots taken) – almost always in "macro" mode. I use it with both adapters, depending upon whether I am using film or digital and/or what degree of close-up-ness I require. It's very good but I don't kid myself that using a Leica M is the best tool for taking close-up photos in the field.

Am 25.9.2022 um 05:00 schrieb MarkP:

I should add that I found that the small lens hood for the 2.8/509 Elmarit-M was more than adequate to reduce flare in the 4.0/90 Macro-Elmar-M in most situations so I bought another so I have one for each lens.  It makes the lens even more compact and easier to use than with the original hood.

+1, this is exactly what I did with mine.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb UliWer:

Well, I had similar thoughts at first when using my copy of that lens. Until I found out that it takes more force than I was initially prepared to apply to a brand new lens to lock the extended tube in position. After the tube has been extende, once enough twisting force is being used to reach the final stop position, nothing feels loose at all, and there is zero tendency to unlock the tube when changing aperture settings. Rather, the entire lens is rock solid. And optically stellar, as already pointed out by others above.

NB: I own two 50mm Elmar-M f2.8 lenses, one chrome, one black, and none of them shows a tendency to unlock the extended locked tube either.

Am 25.9.2022 um 05:00 schrieb MarkP:

It rounds out a very compact with the 2.8/50 Macro-Elmarit-M

Mark, I trust you are referring to the 2.8/50 mm Elmar-M lens, which has no macro capabilities, but is a very fine lens indeed.

Andy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wizard said:

After the tube has been extende, once enough twisting force is being used to reach the final stop position, nothing feels loose at all, and there is zero tendency to unlock the tube when changing aperture settings. Rather, the entire lens is rock solid. And optically stellar, as already pointed out by others above.

+1

2 hours ago, wizard said:

Well, I had similar thoughts at first when using my copy of that lens. Until I found out that it takes more force than I was initially prepared to apply to a brand new lens to lock the extended tube in position. After the tube has been extende, once enough twisting force is being used to reach the final stop position, nothing feels loose at all, and there is zero tendency to unlock the tube when changing aperture settings. Rather, the entire lens is rock solid.

Thank you for the description. I tried again to "force" the extended to tube to lock - without any results. I don't feel a position where it locks like I do with other collapsible lenses. I think my Elmar needs a service. With older lenses you could adjust the pressure of the "spring" which fixes the tube, for the 90mm Elmar this part seems to be deep down in the shaft where I better don't try to manipulate. 

Gerade eben schrieb UliWer:

I tried again to "force" the extended to tube to lock - without any results.

You should feel a definite stop when locking the lens. There is no clicking or snapping into place, it is just a dead stop which indicates end of movement. If you have reached that stop and your tube still feels loose, then your lens may indeed need a service.

• Like 1

Here you can see the mechanism to fix the extended tube of a 50mm Elmar-M, there are three of them around the tube's rear end:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If one carefully lifts the "spring" on the right side the fixed position of the tube gets more stabile. I don't see a similar device for the 90mm Elmar as its tube doesn't protrude. So there is no chance for self-service.

About macro adapters, aside from ancient adapters and Elpro add-on lenses, there are two different Leica ones AFAIK: 
- Macro-Adapter-M v1 with goggles (14409) dedicated to the Macro-Elmar-M 90/4 v1. Works in RF mode normally but also in LV mode if needed. 
- Macro-Adapter-M v2 sans goggles (14652) works only in LV mode with Macro-Elmar-M 90/4 v1, v2 and any other Leica or non-Leica lens with M mount. Some of those other lenses, like the Elmar-M 50/2.8 quoted above, perform really well this way. 
Couple of M11 snaps with Macro-Elmar-M 90/4 and Macro-Adapter-M v1 or v2 below:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-Leica-904-macro/i-5rqTszx/1/fa72b549/X4/M1002605_si-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-Leica-904-macro/i-K6XnKMP/0/1f996678/X4/M1002498_si-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-Leica-904-macro/i-V5mBwdN/0/fa7f445b/X4/M1002509_si-X4.jpg