Orson Welles - Citizen Kane - 24mm lens - 1942 small movie format

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Years ago , someone told me , Citizen Kane wide pictures were a result of 24mm lens but because of their use of smaller old film format from 1942 , Now, its possible to shoot same wide shots with 40mm lens and 24X36 Format film today. Is it true or should I invest to 24mm lens or is my 40mm lens enough and give the same perspective , coverage , depth of field ?

Thank you,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

CItizen Kane was shot on Cooke Speed Panchro and Astro-Berlin Pan Tachar Lenses with Gregg Toland as cinematographer. The use of 25mm lens was perfected for deep focus techniques Welles used to narrate the story skillfuly.
Citizen Kane was shot on 35mm film format. There was apparently also an "Aspheron wide lens attachment" used by Gregg Toland during the filming of Orson Welles’ Citizen Kane, so it is impossible to determine the true focal length.
The answer to your questions can only be given by yourself... is your lens wide enough for you and your use? The 40mm (I own one) is an incredible focal length and I use it for 85% of my images. But that's just me.
The most important thing - do not try to be the second Orson Welles... Be the first Mustafa Umut Sarac. You will be much happier that way.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

CItizen Kane was shot on Cooke Speed Panchro and Astro-Berlin Pan Tachar Lenses with Gregg Toland as cinematographer. The use of 25mm lens was perfected for deep focus techniques Welles used to narrate the story skillfuly.
Citizen Kane was shot on 35mm film format. There was apparently also an "Aspheron wide lens attachment" used by Gregg Toland during the filming of Orson Welles’ Citizen Kane, so it is impossible to determine the true focal length.
The answer to your questions can only be given by yourself... is your lens wide enough for you and your use? The 40mm (I own one) is an incredible focal length and I use it for 85% of my images. But that's just me.
The most important thing - do not try to be the second Orson Welles... Be the first Mustafa Umut Sarac. You will be much happier that way.

I asked a technical question not a philosophical one. I loved the movie and I need an answer.

Edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac