Leica M10

xoubie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m in Canada, Toronto specifically and I’ve been thinking about getting a used M10. I love my M6 and no other digital camera has come close to shooting with my M6. I love focusing with the rangefinder and the general simplicity of the camera. I also love the size which rules out the chunky earlier version of the digital M’s. I’ve been looking at getting an M10 as they’re reasonably priced by Leica standards on the used market but I’m not having much luck in Canada unfortunately. My options seem to be eBay or to buy from the US. I’ve found a mint condition M10 for $5100 USD and after I pay HST tax in Ontario would be about $7500 CAD to import which is significantly cheaper than buying a new M10 up here, about $10000 CAD. Wondering what folks experiences are with the M10 or digital M’s in general? Still with it in 2021 or would I be investing in an outdated system? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I've used M cameras since 1968, and never found a digital I enjoyed using until the M9 came out. (I wasn't interesting in smaller format sensors for my lens collection.) I loved the M9, as it could be used just like my M6. After 7 years (long out of warranty), Leica replaced the sensor (and electronics board) due to the discovered corrosion issue - for free. That's standing behind their products. While I was fully satisfied with the M9, I couldn't resist the M10 - which is everything I want in a digital camera. I kept and still use the M9 (& M6, 5,4,3,2) but the M10 gets the most use. I don't need or want the later modes with higher resolution sensors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, evikne said:

This is a bit strange. Here's a thread with the exact same opening question, but from a different user:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/333808-leica-m10-in-2022/

🤔

Thank you 

I just had the same thought and started to question my memory, which apparently still works 

3 hours ago, xoubie said:

I’m in Canada, Toronto specifically and I’ve been thinking about getting a used M10. I love my M6 and no other digital camera has come close to shooting with my M6. I love focusing with the rangefinder and the general simplicity of the camera. I also love the size which rules out the chunky earlier version of the digital M’s. I’ve been looking at getting an M10 as they’re reasonably priced by Leica standards on the used market but I’m not having much luck in Canada unfortunately. My options seem to be eBay or to buy from the US. I’ve found a mint condition M10 for $5100 USD and after I pay HST tax in Ontario would be about $7500 CAD to import which is significantly cheaper than buying a new M10 up here, about $10000 CAD. Wondering what folks experiences are with the M10 or digital M’s in general? Still with it in 2021 or would I be investing in an outdated system? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Welcome to the Forum. You will find all the answers with a little searching - start with M10 thread. If you want a quick answer, the M10 is a superb camera, but as always go for condition over price.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 7:34 PM, xoubie said:

I’m in Canada, Toronto specifically and I’ve been thinking about getting a used M10. I love my M6 and no other digital camera has come close to shooting with my M6. I love focusing with the rangefinder and the general simplicity of the camera. I also love the size which rules out the chunky earlier version of the digital M’s. I’ve been looking at getting an M10 as they’re reasonably https://routerlogin.uno/ priced by Leica standards on the used market but I’m not having much luck in Canada unfortunately. My options seem to be eBay or to buy from the US. I’ve found a mint condition M10 for $5100 USD and after I pay HST tax in Ontario would be about $7500 CAD to import which is significantly cheaper than buying a new M10 up here, about $10000 CAD. Wondering what folks experiences are with the M10 or digital M’s in general? Still with it in 2021 or would I be investing in an outdated system? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I got this,..

• Like 1

I used to shoot with an M6, and loved the experience.  I replaced it with an M9.  Last year, I bought an M7 and I love the experience with that...much nicer than the M9 in many respects, but not nearly as convenient.

I just bought an M10-P.  It shoots exactly like my M7 with all the conveniences of the M9.  It's a little quieter, too.

I'd say an M10 is a good investment if you enjoy the M experience.  It can bring home the goods.  Get one in good shape.  I've never regretted buying an M10-P in 2022.  To add perspective, I have a Canon R5 that I bought last year...different in so many ways.  Now it gets used when I need telephoto...kind of a waste.

Could you possibly cross the border to Buffalo and pick up an M10 used for ~$4200 USD?

I think the M10 is a great camera, but not $7333 USD great. Also, digital Ms will most likely depreciate, so it'd be wise to refrain from referring to your large purchase as an "investment".

On 9/24/2022 at 9:04 PM, xoubie said:

I love my M6

On 9/24/2022 at 9:04 PM, xoubie said:

M10… would I be investing in an outdated system?

Outdated compared to what?

It’s not outdated compared to the M6. So I don’t understand your concern. It’ll be like shooting your beloved M6 but with all the benefits of digital and a rangefinder window that doesn’t flare as much with a better viewfinder.

Seems like a leap forward in terms of technology compared to your M6. So how is it outdated for you?

If you’re thinking digital rangefinders don’t make sense in 2022, then get a Sony instead. 

They just released the A7R V too. I’m sure it can track the bum hole of a pigeon in Mid flight and track it in focus at 40fps every frame. 

Edited by Chimichurri
  • Haha 2

I had been shooting exclusively film M cameras since long time ago, M3, M2, M6, MP... and because of film stock, prices, two months ago I decided to buy an M10, it gives me the same rangefinder experiences, I only miss, once you take the photo, the moment you have to load the film for the next frame, that's all. Of course, everyone has different budgets and personally, I am not a professional photographer. So as an amateur photographer, and the time I can spent taking photos is not the same as when I was young. So going to digital was the most practical decision, but having in mind, that I didn't want to lose the analog experience while shooting.

THe M10 is giving me great results in terms of enjoying the moments I am shooting.

A good source for an M10 is BH Photo, with fair prices.

I know nothing of taking it into Canada.  If you visit New York, can't you just take it home with you?  If it's a used camera, will anyone care?  How much is import duty nowadays into Canada?

From Google:  Most photographic equipment is duty free, when imported from most countries, including the States. This means you pay no duty! This includes most products such as SLR and point-and-shoot cameras and lenses. For other goods, check out the Canadian Border Services Website.

Also from Google:  

https://reviewlution.ca/resources/how-to-avoid-customs-charges-from-usa-to-canada/