Zeiss Distagon T* 21MM F2.8 ZM

Patman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am looking at this lens for my M8 . Has anyone here used it or can anyone give me info about it's use with the M8. Thanks

I believe that Sean Reid's website evaluated this lens, and thought well of it as long as the mount is displaying the proper brighlines in the viewfinder (and thereby doing the proper correction of vignetting).

I am looking at this lens for my M8 . Has anyone here used it or can anyone give me info about it's use with the M8. Thanks

Since the 21mm now becomes 28mm, we gave thorough testing and consideration of both lenses. For our applications, mostly editorial, wedding and people groups, we find that the quality and rendering of the ZM 21mm is a tad on top. The Leica is a great performer, no doubt, but even if price were not an issue, we would have picked, as we did, the ZM 21. Of course, throw a couple of hundreds more and get the fantastic CV 21 F4!!! That little lens will give you many rounds of happy shooting, rangefinder coupled and very small.

Let us know your final decision

Got it last month from Popflash for a great price... I used to have pre-asph Leica, but sold it to Jamie (to finance my second M8). I missed this focal lens, so I went for Zeiss. Great lens (as all other ZMs). I love the look of Zeiss, use a few lenses on my 1Ds MKII (yes, I have 21 Distagon in Contax mount:) ).

First thing I did after getting it was to replace the mount (by my self) with the 28mm mount code ready by Milich. I put the Leica 21mm code on it and - ta taaaa. Lens is a charm. I use VC 28mm finder with it and those pair well together.

I did not do extensive shoots with it so I can compare with my "old" 21 but one thing I like more is the size: Zeiss feels smaller than Leica especially with the dedicated hood on. Oh yes, UV/IR filter is cheaper than for Leica, too:) ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great lens and, yes, I reviewed it on the M8. As Lloyd mentions, it needs a bayonet swap to bring up the proper frame lines in the M8.

Cheers,

Sean

Where can i get the swap done and any idea of cost. Trying to evaluate buying this lens or the comp. Leica lens.

Where can i get the swap done and any idea of cost. Trying to evaluate buying this lens or the comp. Leica lens.

You can order the ZM28 lens mount from Zeiss in Germany. I just got mine-it's now on its way to John Milich for milling recesses for coding. Price of lens mount is €26, Extra screw (in case you damage yours in process) is €0.50 each. John charge $25 for milling recesses. Write to: "Hoenlinger, Bertram" <hoenlinger@zeiss.de>

Bertram respond quickly through email:) Hope this helps. It was jaap who gave me the contact. Thanks to jaap too.

I have the Zeiss 21 on my M8...wonderful! Reminds me of my salad days with the SWC. Don't understand the fuss with IR filters, coding and remounting. Shoot the picture...chimp the image. Too tight...step back...more image than needed, step in. Image quality is so good, cropping will not affect resolution. Obviously I'm not photographing for a living any more so I can reshoot or recalibrate when needed. I put the IR filters in my non-essential drawer...use Photoshop to filter excess magenta.

... Write to: "Hoenlinger, Bertram" <hoenlinger@zeiss.de>

Bertram responded quickly through email

I was also able to get the 28mm mount through this source. Excellent, prompt service. Total cost for conversion, including the mount, JM milling charge, shipping was around $100. A really excellent lens, and including the "conversion," still substantially less than a 21 Elmarit Asph.

If you intend to use it mainly on the M8, get the Zeiss 25mm lens shade. It will not vignette on the M8, and is smaller and blocks less of the viewfinder than the 21 shade.

T

Sean -

I'm thinking of getting the Zeiss 25/2.8. Would the framelines show up accurately? is there any modification required to the mount? And finally does it compare favourably with the 24/2.8 ELMARIT?

Thanks

Sharookh

You would need to have the bayonet swapped by Zeiss. Yes, it compares well to the 24/2.8, see my review of 24/25 mm lenses for examples.

Cheers,