Please help me identify some vintage pieces?

AllieGM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Hope I'm not doing that noob thing where they get the photos the wrong size, but here goes...

Hoping for some help to identify some of these miscellaneous pieces from a stash of old stuff.  

A: some kind of film winder thingy?  There are 2 holes in the base for some little screws.  A google search shows this could be for movie film rather than 35mm?

B: another winder thingy?  Dad made a lot of things so I don't know if it's home-made?

C : plastic cap for...?  Doesn't fit any of the Leica pieces I have.  Doesn't have a thread.  About 49mm inside.

D : little screw parts.  Small one fits M3 tripod socket.  Other one is too large.

E:  little case for... something?  The 2 pieces screw together.  About 35mm inside.

F:  ????  Has a slit in one side.  ??  

G:  are these re-loadable film canisters?  A couple have some crud on them; can I clean them up, and with what?

H:  Marked "SOOEY".  Google says this is a 39-41mm adapter?

Got one more photo but it looks like I'll have to make another post, so I'll try that.

If anyone can help clarify what some of the stuff is, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for reading.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by AllieGM
typos
  • Like 1

Finally, the other item looks like a teleconverter, or extender.... but again it doesn't fit any of the pieces I have.  
I have a couple of M3s, a Summarex 85mm, a Summarit 50mm, a universal bellows, and a Hektor 135, and it doesn't seem to go with any of these.

ALSO:  I have a couple of flash sync cords.  I don't have a flash to test them with.  A multi-meter shows current goes through them (resistance = 0 or close to it).  Does that mean they're likely to be functional or could there be something else wrong with them, or another way that I could check them?

Thanks!

A is a film winder thingy for 16mm movie film. There would be two of them and you would mount them to a table top or a board using the two mounting holes you described.  One of them would hold the film reel and the other the take-up reel.

Each of them would be called a rewind. This is a single 16mm film rewind.

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AllieGM said:

Finally, the other item looks like a teleconverter, or extender.... but again it doesn't fit any of the pieces I have.  
I have a couple of M3s, a Summarex 85mm, a Summarit 50mm, a universal bellows, and a Hektor 135, and it doesn't seem to go with any of these.

This is just a barrel of a 135mm f/4 Leitz Elmar, it is missing the bottom barrel piece with the LTM/M39 mount and the top (lens) module.

Edited by Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

G marked items are FILCA type cassettes. Search for the FILCA A, B, C, D thread on this forum for more information. I presume that you have checked already about whether there is film inside. Before cleaning them, I would suggest that you remove the spool inside by pulling back the spring and twisting the top. I would suggest soaking them in water first and only use cleaning fluid if absolutely necessary. If you are going to use them, you need to check that you have a camera which can take them before putting bulk film inside. Any Leica manual from the 1920s or 1930s should cover this topic. 

William 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

This is just a barrel of a 135mm f/4 Leitz Elmar, it is missing the bottom barrel piece with the LTM/M39 mount and the top (lens) module.

4,5 on the DOF scale--- 😉 it's a late Hektor 135 barrel ("short mount" ZOOAN for Visoflex mirror box usage - no rangefinder cam)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

4,5 on the DOF scale--- 😉 it's a late Hektor 135 barrel ("short mount" ZOOAN for Visoflex mirror box usage - no rangefinder cam)

Missed the 4.5 mark, absolutely correct about the Hektor, although physically the two barrels are very similar. Can be used on PLOOT as well.

Edited by Al Brown

Thanks for all the information so far!

17 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

Hmm.  So I have a Hektor 135 and maybe this is a spare piece?  So it screws into the black part where the tripod socket is?  I didn't think those pieces came apart because although I tried -- gently -- to unscrew it, it seemed to be fixed.  Maybe it's just seized from long unuse.  I didn't want to damage anything by forcing it.   The only difference with the intact lens is that the middle piece doesn't have metres.

I watched a video on the IXMOOs.  Cool.  The mechanics of these old cameras are so much more ... I dunno, elegant? ... than today's digital stuff.

Hektor 13.5cm is a long run production lens.

from Wiki

have a read here for this particular mount, short/long, etc.

Edited by a.noctilux

Does anyone know exactly what compatibility the SOOEY has?

The end that screws into the lens seems to be E39 (sometimes confusingly called '42mm' in various references, perhaps because vintage E39 lenses also have an outer diameter of 42mm, though I don't think this is a push-on A42 adapter).

The filter end has variously been described as compatible with Summitar filters (which have a unique tapered thread of variable diameter), E41 filters, and the bayonet filters used by some versions of the Summarit (I think other versions only have an E41 thread). I can see a notch in the rim in photos of the SOOEY that look like they might be for bayonet fitting, as well as an inner thread.

Is the adapter for some or all of these types of filter?

18 hours ago, AllieGM said:

Thanks for all the information so far!

Hmm.  So I have a Hektor 135 and maybe this is a spare piece?  So it screws into the black part where the tripod socket is?  I didn't think those pieces came apart because although I tried -- gently -- to unscrew it, it seemed to be fixed.  Maybe it's just seized from long unuse.  I didn't want to damage anything by forcing it.   The only difference with the intact lens is that the middle piece doesn't have metres.

I watched a video on the IXMOOs.  Cool.  The mechanics of these old cameras are so much more ... I dunno, elegant? ... than today's digital stuff.

No, is not a spare and cannot screw into the black part with tripod socket : this is a version of the  Hektor 135 designed and made as is, to say with a shorter mount than the usual Hektor, to be mounted on Leica cameras equipped with the reflex box named Visoflex, an accessory with a long history, a number of versions and lot of accessories : here are a pair of Hektor like yours, with different versions of the Visoflex on different Leica cameras :

What you can unscrew is the lenshead of your Hektor, separating it from the focusing mount : it can be in turn used for several other combinations for visoflex (Bellows, mainly) or even mounted on a standard "long mount" for direct mount on a Leica (the long mount, as well as the short mount as yours, were available separately)

• Like 1

Aha.  OK, so a previous post made me think it was a middle piece for that lens.

So, I have the piece in your bottom photo, which was attached to the bellows, so now I see where it comes off and this piece screws on.  So then you put the lens piece of the Hektor into that? 

Another little google, and is the point of it that now you are looking through the lens rather than the rangefinder, for macro photos?  I remember my mom using the bellows for lots of closeup stuff.  Does the setup in your bottom photo give you a little less closeup than the bellows?

If I put this up for sale, is "Leica Hektor 135 barrel short mount ZOOAN for Visoflex" enough of the right keywords?

Man, I wish my parents were still around and using this stuff  :(

Edited by AllieGM

8 hours ago, AllieGM said:

Does the setup in your bottom photo give you a little less closeup than the bellows?

If I put this up for sale, is "Leica Hektor 135 barrel short mount ZOOAN for Visoflex" enough of the right keywords?

1) Yes, the above depicted setup allows a"normal" focusing range (1,5 m to infinity): the bellows is mounted on top of the Visoflex and extends much more than the focusing short mount, even if, typically, you mount on the bellows not the "complete" Hektor, but the lens head only, unscrewed from the short mount - see hereunder

2) Yes, such a description is well clear for any Leitz passionate / collector : add some pics to evidence that is a relatively "recent" ZOOAN (has the dual scale feet/meters - last version : can be dated around 1959-60)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still looking for information on items D, E, F and B in the photos above.

I wonder if B is some sort of homemade substitute for an AFLOO or part of the guts of one but I can't figure it out.  The piece at the top in the photo has a thread that unscrews and part of it comes off. 

From what I've been able to search out, the canisters are IXMOOs.  They have the "GmBH" on the bottom.  I got them pretty much cleaned up.  Some were hard to take apart.

Edited by AllieGM

1 hour ago, JohnW. said:

Difficult to tell without a side view but 'D' could be camera case body retaining screw and 'E' could be screw mount body cap and rear lens cap??

Given that the two "E" parts do match (post #1) is as you say, the silver with male screw is an ORTVO/14055 - cap for Leica screw mount bodies with lens removed, and the other is the back cap for normal screw mount lenses (ORYFO/14050 . many variants)

And yes, the top in D is the screw to retain bodies (with "large"- 3/8" - tripod mount) into the "old" brown leather cases : has not a proper code, being part of the cases themselves (maybe was available as spare) ; I am almost sure that the other in D is the same component for the modern black leather cases for M cameras, with 1/4" tripod mount (I have one - but the screw went lost... 🤒)

• Like 1