TTArtisans 50mm 0.95

KPD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good day all.  I recently acquired a TTArtisans 50mm 0.95. I'm using with the EV2 on the M11 and the M10M. There is a discrepancy between the aperture I'm shooting and the metadata in the downloaded file. I've tried several different lens choices and decided to just use "uncoded" to see if this made any difference. It really doesn't. I know it needs to be calibrated for use with the rangefinder but that shouldn't have any impact this, yes?  And, I have the same situation on the SL2. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Ken

Leica has always calculated the aperture based on the other exposure data. Since there is no electrical coupling, there is no other way. This is an approximation that is more or less accurate depending on the lens.
My example: VC 50 1.0, if the recording is made with f 1.0, the Exif will show f 1.2, with a recording with f 8, the Exif will also show f 7.5.
To be honest, I'm totally fine with that. On the other hand, I'm actually only interested in the lens with which a picture was taken, because in the end it's the finished and printed photo that counts.

I also do not evaluate my photos with which aperture was statistically photographed, and at exhibitions I am never asked with which lens, which camera and / or with which aperture the picture was taken.

1 hour ago, KPD said:

Good day all.  I recently acquired a TTArtisans 50mm 0.95. I'm using with the EV2 on the M11 and the M10M. There is a discrepancy between the aperture I'm shooting and the metadata in the downloaded file. I've tried several different lens choices and decided to just use "uncoded" to see if this made any difference. It really doesn't. I know it needs to be calibrated for use with the rangefinder but that shouldn't have any impact this, yes?  And, I have the same situation on the SL2. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Ken

Thats very normal, it’s just guesstimation by the camera of the f aperture

Thanks for the replies. 

I realize that there is no data connection and that the end resulting image is what is important. My concern was/is the inconsistency of the aperture numbers in the metadata. Maybe too much data is a bad thing after all. Be well all and thanks again for your input.

Ken

12 minutes ago, KPD said:

My concern was/is the inconsistency of the aperture numbers in the metadata.

The inconsistency is because the pattern and arrangement of light and dark things in your various subjects are likely different in each scene you aim at.

Digital Ms estimate the aperture used by looking at the scene through two separate systems: the lens/metering cell - AND - the little round light sensor on the camera front, up in front of the hot shoe.

And then comparing the actual scene brightness as seen by the external sensor, to the amount of light actually coming through the lens's aperture to the meter.

The external sensor covers a generic field of view that does not necessarily match what the actual meter sees through any given lens. So if you are shooting, for example, a black door in a white wall, or a white door in a black wall, or with wider or longer lenses, there will always be some mismatch between what the meter "sees" and what the external sensor "sees."

With some subject compositions, the comparison will make a pretty good guess. With others, the difference can be ±2 stops

But that is close enough for Leica's technical purpose, which is to figure out the approximate amount of vignetting expected for a given lens at a given aperture, so that the vignetting can be corrected digitally before being saved on the SD card. "About" f/1.4-f/2.0" or "about f/5.6-8" or "about f/11-16" is "close enough" to reduce the expected vignetting fairy accurately.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 9/23/2022 at 7:40 PM, KPD said:

Good day all.  I recently acquired a TTArtisans 50mm 0.95. I'm using with the EV2 on the M11 and the M10M.

Could you please say something about the results you got from using the lens?  Were they "acceptable"?   What was good/bad about the images it created?

Long ago, I bought a 35mm TTArtisans 35mm for a cost that was so small, I wondered what I would get  I didn't like the edge sharpness on my M10, but I got rather nice images with my M8.2 (with it's crop sensor).  The worst parts of the lens were cropped out, and I was pleasantly surprised, especially considering the cost.  Of course, the lens came with a tiny screwdriver, and I was supposed to take part of the lens off, to adjust the focus so it matched my camera.  That was quite easy, once I figured out how to do it.  Anyway, did you have to do the same thing with your 50mm f/0.95 ??  Could you please post a couple of images here?  I've read good things and bad things about this lens - not sure what I would use it for, but there's no way I can afford "the real thing".  

I'm still trying to save up in case I decide to buy the M11.  Not buying this lens will leave me closer to my more important goal.

• Like 1