Leica M6 adjustment after top plate removal

JaKuBe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello.

I just have simple question.

Is it necessary to adjust rangefinder after top plate removal? I need to replace plastic strap protectors and some repairmans say it is necessary, but I doubt it. I just want to do it quickly and without complicate things a lot more.

Thank you.

Edited by JaKuBe

The last M6 was made nearly thirty years ago so the chance that the viewfinder needs cleaning and adjustment are pretty high. If the top plate is going to be off, what better time to attend to this service? I realize you’re hoping to pop off the top plate, install a couple of new buffers and be done. Do it right and you’ll do it once and you’re set for a long time. Sorry for the tough love but welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, madNbad said:

The last M6 was made nearly thirty years ago so the chance that the viewfinder needs cleaning and adjustment are pretty high. If the top plate is going to be off, what better time to attend to this service? I realize you’re hoping to pop off the top plate, install a couple of new buffers and be done. Do it right and you’ll do it once and you’re set for a long time. Sorry for the tough love but welcome to the forum.

I see. But CLA was done quite recently, so I am sure everything is fine right now. No cleaning needs. I just have broken strap protector and want it to repair, because it can cause light leaks.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:38 PM, JaKuBe said:

Hello.

Is it necessary to adjust rangefinder after top plate removal? I need to replace plastic strap protectors and some repairmans say it is necessary, but I doubt it. I just want to do it quickly and without complicate things a lot more.

Thank you.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. It's quite simple if it works and focuses 'adjusting' it isn't going to make it better, only the same or worse.

On 9/23/2022 at 9:38 PM, JaKuBe said:

Hello.

Is it necessary to adjust rangefinder after top plate removal?

No - it is not.

However adjusting the rangefinder is something that should take max 60 seconds for a qualified tech, thus it shouldn't cost you more than the removal of the top and the cleaning of the inside surfaces (which you would want done when the top is off anyway).

If the rangefinder adjustment is a major expense on the estimate, the repair person you are talking to is a crook.