Pricing of Leica lenses in USD?

AAK

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the Euro now being below parity with the USD, I'm surprised that the prices of Leica lenses haven't come down in the U.S.   Maybe it's old stock bought when the Euro was higher? Is there a better option for those of us in the US to buy equipment that should be less expensive now in our currency?

Edited by AAK

For major markets, most companies tend to set pricing in the local currency and only change it when they decide to roll out new pricing globally rather than tying it to the exchange rate. There are exceptions, of course, but that has always been the trend so that each market has relative stability.

Currency fluctuations don’t automatically result in a new price list. Sometimes that helps us in the US, and sometimes it hurts. Right now, it’s kind of neutral, but it could result in some benefit come the new year. The new 35mm Summilux, for example, is actually less expensive in USD than the lens it is replacing. That’s almost certainly because of the exchange rate. Perhaps U.S. buyers will get a nice New Year’s present in the form of less expensive Leica gear? Aside from waiting, though, I don’t think there is much you can do. I wouldn’t want to lose the U.S. warranty because I chose to buy from a European seller (assuming they are even willing to ship to the U.S—I expect most won’t be since it is likely Leica USA has exclusive rights here.)

• Like 1

Don't forget that the setting of prices, and the currency conversion, is basically internal Leica accounting.

Leica Germany does not sell or send gear directly to US dealers. It ships gear to Leica Camera North America (sometimes called Leica USA) in New Jersey in bulk, and Leica CNA then distributes it to US/Canada/Mexico dealers, and sets the local suggested prices. Which are not simply a conversion of € to $, since there are duties and tax differences to consider, as well as local market conditions.

I imagine the president of Leica CNA, Mike Giannattasio, is in daily contact with Leica in Wetzlar regarding the currency markets, and if and when it may become time to change the prices Leica CNA is setting. Or introduce temporary rebates or incentives or "bundles", so that the prices don't have to be "increased" again later - the incentives simply end if the Euro recovers some value.

https://leicarumors.com/2020/07/14/a-letter-from-the-new-leica-usa-president-mike-giannattasio.aspx/

• Like 1