Leica article in the New Yorker

cometsoft

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The New Yorker article is really excellent even if it is not absolutely perfect. Its hard to take those on this thread who think otherwise seriously.

...and let's not forget, the published paper issue--you know, hold it in your hands, no batteries or computer required--is "The Style Issue", replete with 24 pages of fashion ads(including a double spread for Land Rover)before the TOC. So for those who disagree with the pitch of the piece, and hold the M8 as a wanting digital camera, you've picked the wrong thread, again.

While snapping some pics of an event a few weeks ago, more than a few asked about the kit... "wow, that's a beautiful camera... if it's easy to use, I want one... is it easy to use?" "No," I replied, "it is not easy to use." The context was among folks who mostly use digital P&S kit, or their larger black plastic siblings... folks who would "expect more" from a digital camera rather than themselves. Not that this audience is unworthy, but that the M8 is not "easy to use" unless you apply yourself to it.

As regards "the Style issue", the M8 fits neatly amongst pages of clothes most humans cannot wear. If one could both wear the fashions AND make use of the M8, I'm sure s/he'd have an aide to carry lenses(all Leica, all coded), and of course Leica batteries ;) Oh, and not likely their togs will yield much of the magenta blacks either!

Reminded of R. Frank when I noticed that the LCD is placed directly behind the lens, centered: a quick visual of where the frame is when shooting from the hip! It is a beautifully designed rig... "oh, so pretty", and the image data ain't half bad either.

rgds,

Dave

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the following:

1. I have been using my M8 since 12/13/06 -- with no important problems.

2. I have been using Leica glass since 1970 -- and it changed my life.

3. I don't use slr's so the R family isn't an option for me.

4. For Leica to produce this camera, with no prior experience in "computers" is amazing. I would say that they are getting way too much heat for the (expectable) problems that have occurred.

5. Their response has been positive: free filters, lens discounts, support. They even sponsor this website so they can get beaten up in public.

6. This is a unique company, not because they make an expensive product, but because they make the best lenses possible. The M8 mates well with the wondrous glass, in my experience.

7. The images I have printed over the last 9 months are so superior to anything I was able to produce before that it's amazing.

Agree withy all this.

The real good strategy part is that Leica sticks to its basics (core competence) while industry partners like Kodak for the sensor, Phase One software, maybe even the Copal shutter manufacturer do the other components in which they excel. And that combination is a winner. It's the Kodak sensor that gets you the best captures, colours, rendering, slickness.

All problems with the M8 are imho trivial and overcoming and widely balanced by the superior quality getting the best out of the lenses, ease of use, handsomeness, goodlookingness (!), the open concept, access to more than one line of lenses, reuse capabilities. The existing mass of lenses mean there is a 'low entry threshold' for new buyers. Thats should be valued as part of the brand.

I'm sure the partners will push even more out of the existing glass. It's a platform now. That's clear.

And Mr Lee should not get jealous of the existing lenses: "The economic equation is perverse: "I believe that for every euro we make in sales, the market does four euros of business," Lee said. [Candid Camera, by Anthony Lane, The New Yorker]". That is just as a curious a remark as if President Bush were saying in a pityfull way that for every dollar made in the USA, 100 dollars are traded outside of the USA. If Leica would want to forego the amassed number of lenses (i.e. design a new bayonet) there wil be no market take-up.

Now the statement is easily reprinted out of context, but my job is being a strategy consultant so I'm a bit trigger happy, apologies.

albert