Leica article in the New Yorker

cometsoft

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All those years of subscribing to the New Yorker finally paid off!

Not sure if I want to point the article out to the bride, tho. However, she did say recently that the things I need are expensive.

A nicely done article without abuse and with a good understanding of what the camera's about.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for pointing us the article. A nice read... How to interpret the smile and silence of Steven Lee when asked about a M9, an upgraded M8, with all the kinks ironed out ?

I like:

"Rather, it has to do with the old, bewildering Leica trick: the illusion, fostered by a mere machine, that the world out there is asking to be looked at—to be caught and consumed while it is fresh, like a trout."

I find I enjoy photographing with the Leica in an almost sensual way (as compared to a DSLR).

The negative impact of the article (considering the New Yorker demographic) will probably make the lenses even harder to get (at least I've got all I need). I remember when surfing became very popular again in the late 80s (I believe) due to some TV shows. The swarms overwhelmed and ruined a lot of the breaks.

Probably the best Leica article I've seen anywhere, except for an occassional, and much shorter testemonial from a user. Leica ought to send this out as a newsletter, correcting the adjective describing the Noctilux.

The guy has a way with words.

This will be difficult to surpass any time soon.

Isn't that a coincidence.

There was also an article in the Saturday Financial times (sorry couldn't find a link to post) in the "How to spend it" section entiteld Technopolis on the Lecia M8. It begins something like, "Can we agree that that when I repeated say the M8 is beautiful I really mean it? The M8 is staggeringly beautiful... it is hard to get across the physical excellence of the M8...it is probably the worlds best digital camera that just happens to look so good around your neck that people of taste stare...." and so it goes. Short, but accurate.

More a short couplet than the New Yiorker sonnet.

None the less, duling fitting our machine of choice.

Chapeau,

Peter

What a wonderful article! A remarkably telling story regarding the ethos of Leica. Anthony Lane, the author of this piece, surely deserves that M8. He did with words what Cartier-Bresson did with his shutter.

What a wonderful article! A remarkably telling story regarding the ethos of Leica. Anthony Lane, the author of this piece, surely deserves that M8. He did with words what Cartier-Bresson did with his shutter.

For the effect it's going to have on Leica sales, Leica should send him a complimentary copy, along with a nice 50 summilux.

The use of the word "widest" with the Noctilux struck me as a typical writer's solution in the struggle to find a word that will be understood by the general public. To say "fastest," which most photographers would use (and Lane too, judging from the number of cameras he's had) would confuse a lot of people. How can a still-camera lens be fast? Given the fact that he talks about photography by candlelight, he obviously understands functional advantage of the Nocti. Unfortunately, the "widest" gets confused with "wide angle." Probably should have gone with "fastest."

He is a good writer -- I look for his stuff when I'm paging through a New Yorker.

(For Europeans who may not be familiar with it, the New Yorker is probably the premier, and one of the oldest, US magazines that focuses on art and cultural commentary.)

JC

It's funny to see that this article makes some people here to fell more snobish and elitists... but doesn't make them better photographers!

Bla, bla, bla...

And here we go for another thread to the glory of Leica... even when the M8 is less than perfect!

Never mind...