Cleaning Coca Cola off the outside of an M10-R

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I was on a classic car rally on Sunday in my Morgan Three Wheeler at the mid morning coffee stop, someone bumped against a waiter carrying a tray of soft drinks in front of me. Some of the Coke in a very full glass, splashed onto my M10-R. It did not get on the lens front and has not affected the operation of the camera in any way but there are distinct shiny residue marks on both the camera top body (satin black) and on the control rings of my 35mm APO. 

What do folks think would be the safest cleaning method. I am minded to try first a sponge/Spontex cloth, new out of the packet, just barely dampened with warmed deionised water (my tap water, although lovely to drink, is exceedingly hard and always leaves behind hard water deposits on drying), being as neutral a substance as I can source. If that does not work, I would then move to a 50/50 solution of IPA and deionised water, applied with a cotton bud but I am concerned about lifting the paint of the markings on the lens control rings. 

Any other (sensible!) suggestions? 

Wilson

If it wasn’t causing issues with the camera a damp, almost dry, microfibre cloth to clean it off. Otherwise, send it in for cleaning and bill the venue. You did report it to the venue didn’t you? And you know the people around you for witnesses, if it went that far? 

Slight update. I noticed today, when downloading some of the photos I had taken last week-end, that the on-off switch is not moving as freely as it should, so some coke must have got in there. Freed that off with a squirt of Servisol switch cleaning fluid. 

The rest of the coke has come off with a microfibre cloth dampened with hot deionised water. 

No I did not report the incident to the venue, as I did not see who bumped into the waiter. It was not the waiter's fault. The negligence laws are very different in France and you would get little return from trying to bill the venue for professional cleaning other than a large advocate's bill. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

When I was on a classic car rally on Sunday in my Morgan Three Wheeler at the mid morning coffee stop, someone bumped against a waiter carrying a tray of soft drinks in front of me. Some of the Coke in a very full glass, splashed onto my M10-R. It did not get on the lens front and has not affected the operation of the camera in any way but there are distinct shiny residue marks on both the camera top body (satin black) and on the control rings of my 35mm APO. 

What do folks think would be the safest cleaning method. I am minded to try first a sponge/Spontex cloth, new out of the packet, just barely dampened with warmed deionised water (my tap water, although lovely to drink, is exceedingly hard and always leaves behind hard water deposits on drying), being as neutral a substance as I can source. If that does not work, I would then move to a 50/50 solution of IPA and deionised water, applied with a cotton bud but I am concerned about lifting the paint of the markings on the lens control rings. 

Any other (sensible!) suggestions? 

Wilson

Sounds like you were able to restore appearance and functionality. Time to celebrate with an undiluted IPA. 🍺

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Pixeleater said:

Sounds like you were able to restore appearance and functionality. Time to celebrate with an undiluted IPA. 🍺

Not in France and anyway the only bitter beer I really like, is my local brew in Sussex, Harvey's of Lewes Best Beer.  This is actually more akin to an ale than a bitter beer, with quite low hop content and a lot of malt. 

Wilson

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

Not in France and anyway the only bitter beer I really like, is my local brew in Sussex, Harvey's of Lewes Best Beer.  This is actually more akin to an ale than a bitter beer, with quite low hop content and a lot of malt. 

Wilson

I like a pint of Harvey's too! I had a drive over to Lewes last weekend and popped into the brewery tap bar but they had sold out of Best! I had to make do with their IPA (also very nice).

I'm too late to offer my suggestion for cleaning camera equipment - baby wipes! (non scented). They are great for cleaning all sorts of things, car dashboards/trim, giving your shoes a quick wipe when you don't have time to polish etc. etc.

• Like 1

The first thing I would have thought of is "lens cleaning fluid" for glasses, or lenses.  That, on lens cleaning tissue.  

The M10 is supposed to be weather resistant, so maybe the coke didn't get very far into the camera.  Do you have a Leica shop to take it to, to get their advice?

Morgan three-wheeler!!!   Wow.  Please post a photo of your car here.  I love Morgans, but never owned one.  The three-wheeler.....   again, wow!!

7 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

Morgan three-wheeler!!!   Wow.  Please post a photo of your car here.  I love Morgans, but never owned one.  The three-wheeler.....   again, wow!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Speechless!!!   Thank you for posting.  

What an awesome vehicle!!!!!!!!    

I used to own an MGA.  I almost bought an MG TC, but my dad (wisely!) vetoed it.  I thought I might eventually find a Morgan, but I could never afford one.  I love your photo!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, OThomas said:

@wlaidlaw have you had a test drive of the new Morgan 3-wheeler?  I had a ride in one at an event I attended in spring, a fun ride, but not enough room for me I’m afraid.

My brother has one on order. My personal view is that it is nothing like as pretty as the original and with a three cylinder under the bonnet, it is much more akin to the F4 pre-war "poverty" model, with a 998cc Ford Popular engine, which most Morgan enthusiasts are not keen on. The USP of the sporting three wheeler IMHO is the Vee Twin and without, it loses much of its character. The new one is in effect a British built version of the Polaris or Vanderhall three wheelers but more expensive and not as well built.

The build quality of the 2012 onwards three wheelers was truly abysmal. I have had to have the chassis on mine replaced twice after one failure and a faulty replacement plus many other components more than once. Morgan service is appalling. Earlier this year, I needed to replace one of the two fuel tanks as the original had split on a seam weld. I had this done with a lot of other work (new clutch, new clutch hydraulics, release bearing, new vibration absorbing Centa compensator plus a whole load of minor items) at the only decent garage in France, M3W services in Aquitaine, the other side of France from me. That is just this year's list. My M3W has only done a grand total of 12,000 km from new. Morgan sent the wrong side fuel tank to France not once but twice. A rear view mirror had a fatigue failure of the head just a few weeks ago. I ordered a replacement from the UK and paid duty on it when it arrived. It is completely the wrong mirror and is for a modern 4 wheeler even though I ordered by part number, chassis number and description. This is typical Morgan service. 

Wilson

@wlaidlaw wow I did not know they were that bad, but then it is only a small company, not that it excuses their failures. Have you written to the head honcho at Morgan and let him know of your issues? Maybe that would alert the company to their failures.

As I said the 3-wheeler isn’t for me, but the Plus-6 was in my sights. After what you say, maybe not.

I agree with you though the new model Super-3 isn’t as pretty as the previous model with the V motor hanging out front. I think the new one took some design elements from the ev concept they did a few years back.

Back in the late 1960's, I used to race a Morgan 4/4. This was a very heavily modified car with a tubular space frame, designed and built by the man who did the Mark 3 upgrade on the AC Cobra. We used carbon fibre reinforced fibreglass and aluminium bodywork and a 2 litre Martin Vega Formula 2 engine. I changed the steering from the original Burman Cam and Peg system to a rack and pinion, firstly for safety, so I no longer had a six foot steel spear pointing at my chest and secondly to improve the steering. The improvement exceeded my wildest expectations, far more accurate and less than half the steering effort. I proudly showed my modification to Peter Morgan at a Prescott Hill Climb meet. His response was: ".....but my customers expect and want bad steering". Unbelievable. I also suggested to him that he should do like I had and instead of the "japanned (black enamelled) mild steel wood screws to attach the aluminium or steel body panels to the ash frame, use stainless steel marine screws. This would avoid the mild steel screws rusting, swelling up and splitting the ash framing. Peter's response: "my dear chap, do you realised that would cost me £3 per car." I doubt if the current top management's attitude is vastly different. 

Wilson