Nikon LS-5000 with Vuescan: does the autofeed with SA-30 work?

quietglow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Long shot, but just in case someone here uses a LS-5000 with the SA-30 (or modified SA-21): can you tell me if the autofeeding capability works properly with Vuescan? I have been using a Minolta DiMage iv for years, but I am finding less and less time to scan.

I am looking for a solution that a: I can feed film to and then go do something else and b: which doesn't cost a bazillion dollars (Pakon etc) and/or require me to run a completely different (and old) computer for scanning. 

3 minutes ago, andybarton said:

I have the smaller Nikon Coolscan V scanner (not used in seven years...) and that would autofeed with Vuescan, so if the LS 5000 has an autofeeding unit, I see no reason why that wouldn't work too.

Thanks Andy. I also just got an email from Vuescan and they confirmed that it does work. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, plaidshirts said:

I have a 5000 with a modified sa21 adapter and can confirm Vuescan will scan whole rolls.

7 minutes ago, Steve Ash said:

That is what I use, too.

Oh brilliant! Two users! The one I am eyeing also has a modified SA-21.

So do you both use the autofeed functionality as your main way of scanning? Is it really totally self sufficient once you've previewed and started the scan? How do you handle dust with the whole roll? (assuming you shoot B&W, so no dust removal)?

Also: what OS are you using Vuescan on?

Edited by quietglow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The one I am eyeing also has a modified SA-21. It's easy to do. Get an unmodified one for a lower price and do it yourself. 

So do you both use the autofeed functionality as your main way of scanning? Yes Is it really totally self sufficient once you've previewed and started the scan? Yes, for the most part.. I have a Canon F-1 that has uneven spacing between frames so I have to do that in strips. My Leicas don't have that problem so once the preview is done, it's good to go. How do you handle dust with the whole roll? (assuming you shoot B&W, so no dust removal)? Not much you can do with B&W. Make sure the film is clean and take care of the rest in post.

Also: what OS are you using Vuescan on? Windows 10

Edited by plaidshirts

14 minutes ago, plaidshirts said:

The one I am eyeing also has a modified SA-21. It's easy to do. Get an unmodified one for a lower price and do it yourself. 

So do you both use the autofeed functionality as your main way of scanning? Yes Is it really totally self sufficient once you've previewed and started the scan? Yes, for the most part.. I have a Canon F-1 that has uneven spacing between frames so I have to do that in strips. My Leicas don't have that problem so once the preview is done, it's good to go. How do you handle dust with the whole roll? (assuming you shoot B&W, so no dust removal)? Not much you can do with B&W. Make sure the film is clean and take care of the rest in post.

Also: what OS are you using Vuescan on? Windows 10

Many thanks! I am buying them as a set from the gent who CLAs them. My intention is that this is my forever scanner. I debated going for one of the industrial ones, but this seems like it does all I need. I don't need 5 minute roll scanning if it'll do a roll in an hour unattended.

How do you handle the film collection as it scans? Do you have some sort of bowl?

Many thanks! I am buying them as a set from the gent who CLAs them. Buying from Gleb hopefully? We're all in this FB Coolscan  group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1514948298527146 You'll find lots of helpful info there. My intention is that this is my forever scanner. I debated going for one of the industrial ones, but this seems like it does all I need. I don't need 5 minute roll scanning if it'll do a roll in an hour unattended.

How do you handle the film collection as it scans? Do you have some sort of bowl? Yes, any clean bowl will do. You don't need the overpriced holder you see on ebay for $1k

1 minute ago, plaidshirts said:

Many thanks! I am buying them as a set from the gent who CLAs them. Buying from Gleb hopefully? We're all in this FB Coolscan  group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1514948298527146 You'll find lots of helpful info there. My intention is that this is my forever scanner. I debated going for one of the industrial ones, but this seems like it does all I need. I don't need 5 minute roll scanning if it'll do a roll in an hour unattended.

How do you handle the film collection as it scans? Do you have some sort of bowl? Yes, any clean bowl will do. You don't need the overpriced holder you see on ebay for $1k

Yep, Gleb! I am still waiting to be approved to join the group.

• Like 1

Another question @plaidshirts:

Do you do full roll scans with the scanner upright, or laying on its side? I have seen demos showing both, and I also saw a suggestion that you scan with it sitting on a high shelf and just let the roll hang over the edge (I have cats, so cannot do that).

The scanner from Gleb is on it's way to me, so hopefully will be scanning later in the week.

4 hours ago, quietglow said:

Another question @plaidshirts:

Do you do full roll scans with the scanner upright, or laying on its side? I have seen demos showing both, and I also saw a suggestion that you scan with it sitting on a high shelf and just let the roll hang over the edge (I have cats, so cannot do that).

The scanner from Gleb is on it's way to me, so hopefully will be scanning later in the week.

I haven't tried it on it's side, but especially for full rolls, upright makes more sense to me. I do let the film hang down in the front with a bowl to catch the film in the back. It's also important to remember when you eject film, the whole roll will come back out through the front.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, plaidshirts said:

I haven't tried it on it's side, but especially for full rolls, upright makes more sense to me. I do let the film hang down in the front with a bowl to catch the film in the back. It's also important to remember when you eject film, the whole roll will come back out through the front.

Many thanks! I think that's all my questions. Really appreciate the help.

• Like 1