Replace Q2M with M10M?

ejg1890

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At times I have considered replacing my Q2M with an M10M. I do like the Q2M and ent the results especially street photography.

Who out there has shot both the M10M and Q2M?  What r your thoughts on both cameras? Those who sold the Q2M for M10M, any regrets?

thanks  

I did the opposite, had an M10M and replaced it with the Q2M. I love, LOVE my Q2M but at times wish I still had my M10M (and haven't ruled out getting another one at some point).

For me the Q2M won out for several reasons:

1. The EVF - being able to see my images in B&W as I compose them is a huge advantage for me (I shoot my M almost exclusively through the viewfinder).

2. Weather-sealing - I want to be able to shoot in all sorts of conditions and just not worry about my gear.

3. Shooting at night - one of the benefits of both cameras is their image quality at high ISOs. However it is FAR easier for me to shoot the Q2M in very low light because of the EVF. Shooting the M10M at night - seeing and focusing through the optical viewfinder - was often really challenging for me. 

4. Far down the list is the ability to shoot in macro mode on the Q2M. I don't use it that often, but it's very nice to have when I do.

All of that said, I wish I could change lenses on the Q2M and the M10M is just sexy. If the price ever comes way down (after the M11M is released, perhaps), I might be tempted to buy one again.

• Like 1

I’m fortunate enough to shoot both.  The more I use it, the more I prefer zone focusing and that’s where the Q2M falls a little flat - its distance scale isn’t very accurate, even at f/11, butt I’ve learned to work around it.  I’d much rather have the optical finder and a manual lens for zone focusing.  Otherwise, the Q2M does something my M10M can’t - autofocus, which can be handy if my subjects aren’t moving very quickly or I can get my focus point propositioned in advance of the shot.  I’m also shooting 21 and 25 a lot which of course makes me want to take the M10M out more.  Overall the M10M is more flexible and useful, but when I want autofocus or a well-sealed, weather resistant camera, I’m dragging the Q2M along with me.  Very handy in the rainy Moscow autumn and snowy winters. 

As far as image quality goes, the Q2M is stellar and I have no issues shooting it up to ISO 25,000.  The M10M goes comfortably to 32,000 which is a definite advantage.  If you don’t find yourself in very dark situations often, you’ll likely never notice this difference. 

Edited by Anakronox
Spelling
  • Like 1

Really depends if you want to use other lenses, I think - the sensor output is very similar, enough that a few seconds of editing can match them. If you are a 28mm shooter the Q2 has the EVF, AF and macro, plus better battery and lighter weight. Only if you want the rangefinder experience AND other lenses would I consider changing - and then you'd have a hard time parting with the Q2M anyway - it's totally unique and totally wonderful. 

• Like 1

It depends. If you only shoot street photography then the Q2M is probably adequate. If you already own M lenses then an M10M is more practical. I moved from the Q2M to an M10M. This was mostly because I already have many M lenses and wanted the flexibility of changing focal lengths. But if for some reason all my gear is lost then I can do with just the Q2M

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gotium said:

Really depends if you want to use other lenses, I think - the sensor output is very similar, enough that a few seconds of editing can match them. If you are a 28mm shooter the Q2 has the EVF, AF and macro, plus better battery and lighter weight. Only if you want the rangefinder experience AND other lenses would I consider changing - and then you'd have a hard time parting with the Q2M anyway - it's totally unique and totally wonderful. 

The battery life on the Q2 series in my experience is noticeably shorter than the M10 and M10M.  However, I do not rely on live view with my Ms.  If you mean the design of the battery is better, then that’s true. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, KateStarr said:

I did the opposite, had an M10M and replaced it with the Q2M. I love, LOVE my Q2M but at times wish I still had my M10M (and haven't ruled out getting another one at some point).

Almost exactly the same for me.  I replaced my M9M with M10M and replaced that with the Q2M.  I haven't ruled out getting another M Monochrom when funds permit, maybe wait and see what the M11M brings, but it wouldn't replace my Q2M.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KateStarr said:

For me the Q2M won out for several reasons:

1. The EVF - being able to see my images in B&W as I compose them is a huge advantage for me (I shoot my M almost exclusively through the viewfinder).

2. Weather-sealing - I want to be able to shoot in all sorts of conditions and just not worry about my gear.

3. Shooting at night - one of the benefits of both cameras is their image quality at high ISOs. However it is FAR easier for me to shoot the Q2M in very low light because of the EVF. Shooting the M10M at night - seeing and focusing through the optical viewfinder - was often really challenging for me. 

4. Far down the list is the ability to shoot in macro mode on the Q2M. I don't use it that often, but it's very nice to have when I do.

I agree with all those points which is why I got the Q2M and been reluctant to sell it. That said the one item that frustrates me is the 28mm lens. I much prefer 35mm, even the 50mm over the 28mm. If the Q2(M) had a 35mm I wouldn’t have these thoughts. Just everything seems so far away with the 28mm. 

• Like 1

I would do it, but this is primarily because I don't like the 28mm focal length, for myself (but I also feel that very few people use it well - tons of wasted space and/or distorted subjects - wide angles are tough).

If they made a Q in a 40 or a 50mm iteration, I may prefer it over an M. I don't own the Mono but I have a feeling I'd prefer that 40 mp sensor over the 47 mp one (which I have in my SL2 - and which is great under certain conditions, but not as versatile imo). 

3 hours ago, ejg1890 said:

I agree with all those points which is why I got the Q2M and been reluctant to sell it. That said the one item that frustrates me is the 28mm lens. I much prefer 35mm, even the 50mm over the 28mm. If the Q2(M) had a 35mm I wouldn’t have these thoughts. Just everything seems so far away with the 28mm. 

Well in THAT case...I am very much a 28 mm shooter, which is why I favor the Q2M (I even like that the Q2M is a "wide" 28)

I just recently traded in my Q2M towards a new M10M (my other camera is a M10-R BP). Best decision ever!

I love the Q cameras and especially the Q2M, but now I simply prefer shooting M over anything else. So, I feel I have the perfect set-up now for my needs. 

Also nice to be able to use all lenses on both bodies, espeically older non-asph on M10M is amazing - I prefer this look vastly over the hyper sharp and clinical look of the Q2M. But all this is just personal preference. Both cameras are stellar and won't be the limiting factor in creating strong images.

On 9/20/2022 at 3:06 PM, ejg1890 said:

Now it’s my turn to agree with you!

I am not a big fan of 28 either and shoot my Qs with the 35mm frame lines on at all times. I actually really like shooting that way. If I want to use the whole 28mm I still can, but most of the time I’m framing for 35. And with the frame lines, I can still see what is outside the frame, just like on my M, but I also still have the whole file to work with if I want. 

All of that said, I would LOVE a 50mm Q and would pick one up in a heartbeat if they made one. Or if they made a 35mm Q I’d probably use it with the 50mm frame lines on all the time.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2022 at 4:06 PM, ejg1890 said:

The difference in angle of view between a 28mm M lens and a 35mm M lens is 12 degrees.  For landscape shooting, that can be a significant difference.  For photographing people at close range, it is not that much of a difference. 

When photographing people at close range, the 12 degree difference in FOV between the 28 and 35 can be made up by taking a step closer to your subject(s).  You will get a bit more background but you will still fill the frame with your main subject.

The 28mm does require keeping the main subject nearer to the center of the frame than the 35mm in order to avoid egg shape head and face distortion - but that can also be corrected in post processing.

I like the 35mm FOV, but I keep coming back to my Q2 and my 28mm Elmarit for my M cameras.  The 28mm focal length creates a more three dimensional rendering to my eye.  Each of these two focal lengths have valid uses for the photographer.  The focal lengths are close, but they are not the same.  Each has its place in the scheme of things.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sometimesmaybe said:

it's that exact line of thinking that has caused me to accumulate some 30 lenses 🤦‍♂️

M lenses do make it hard to adhere to the one camera, one lens ethos.

30 lenses?  You obviously are not a married man... 😅

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 2