My first reportage with the Q2 'Reporter Edition'

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, after some years of stop, damn Covid-19, I've done another reportage, this time from Kosovo. I went there because there have been lots of "tensions" at the border with Serbia, so I flew there to capture the climate. Unfortunately (for me) I haven't seen lots of tensions and issues compared to my other reportages (Iraq, Syria, etc..) so I've done lots of streets photos :D 

Here are the links to the reportage, so you can view all the photos and read the info:

https://www.giuliomagnifico.it/kosovo-street-2022

https://www.giuliomagnifico.it/kosovo-ethnic-tensions

Before the photos, the impressions with the Q2.

The camera is great, I don't want to write all the great things it has because we know it! Fantastic files, great handing, super fast AF and "usability", compactness, etc.. etcc.. I love it!

But I also discovered some downside compared to the Q (my previous camera):

the battery is very expensive

it hasn't a connector to directly transfer the photos to your device (the worse)

the default chargher is very big 

the default Leica "grip" is useless because you have to unscrew it every day to change the battery or eject the SD

sometimes, when the camera is at your neck, it doesn't go into "sleep" mode because the EVF sensor detects "your body" and keeps the EVF active (with a battery drain).

How I avoided to some issues:

I bought a USB charger: photo

I bought a grip from amazon: photo

And this was my first trip without a notebook, since I used only the iPad as backup device! But you can read the long procedure at my "tech blog" here: https://giuliomagnifico.blog/photography/2022/09/14/tech-setup-and-info-photo-reportage-Kosovo.html

Now some (compressed) photos, just few, full reportage is about a hundred of photos:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Let me know your suggestions and impressions, thanks!

• Like 11

Oh, I forgot some (stupid/useless but cool) images of the Q :D

Edited by giuliomagnifico
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, profus said:

Great images, thx.

Off-topic:  most of the worlds countries ( 5 EU countries included) have not recognized Kosovo as independent state, so I wouldn't call it "border to Serbia".

Yes but it’s recognized by more than 100 countries!

Anyway I don’t want to enter inside a “political discussion” but the borders were there, with border-police, militaries, the stamp on my passport, etc… 

Otherwise I don’t know to call this:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great photos. Curios if you speak to the individuals first to request their photos? I assume yes since they are looking at the camera. How often do you receive a “no” response?  Thanks. And again great photos. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ejg1890 said:

Great photos. Curios if you speak to the individuals first to request their photos? I assume yes since they are looking at the camera. How often do you receive a “no” response?  Thanks. And again great photos. 

Thanks!

well, if I can I first try to take the photo without showing me (this is the best, because the photo will be more natural), if the subject see me, I ask or I take the photo anyway, I don’t have a universal rule, every time and photo, I have to change my approach. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, giuliomagnifico said:

Anyway I don’t want to enter inside a “political discussion” but the borders were there, with border-police, militaries, the stamp on my passport, etc… 

Otherwise I don’t know to call this:

Sorry, but you are doing it anyway. I am sure if you traveled to Donbas region you would also find all that - borders, police, military etc.
If we all are so concerned (and rightly!) about Ukrainian sovereignty then shouldn't we act the same way speaking about Serbian borders? You know, borders in Europe can not
be changed by force or - can they anyway? Depending on who's doing it and with what excuse...?

Ps. Sorry again for this off spring. I know it is not the right place to have those discussions, but I can't stand world's hypocrisy.
Delete my comments if you wish - I just had to say it.

1 hour ago, profus said:

Sorry, but you are doing it anyway. I am sure if you traveled to Donbas region you would also find all that - borders, police, military etc.
If we all are so concerned (and rightly!) about Ukrainian sovereignty then shouldn't we act the same way speaking about Serbian borders? You know, borders in Europe can not
be changed by force or - can they anyway? Depending on who's doing it and with what excuse...?

Ps. Sorry again for this off spring. I know it is not the right place to have those discussions, but I can't stand world's hypocrisy.
Delete my comments if you wish - I just had to say it.

No worries, everyone has his opinions, I respect your, just stop this discussion here :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Giulio is right, political discussion should stop here: the world didn’t manage to solve it and we certainly won’t either.

This is a place to discuss the Q. Wonderful images. 

To me, sometimes the Q is too wide, watching your images, the feeling remains. Would a 35/40mm have been a better choice?

Not criticizing, just wondering aloud…

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stuny said:

A lovely set. My favorite is the 3rd photo in the first group.

Thanks, The third photo is the Q2 in Macro mode, without crop.

10 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

Giulio is right, political discussion should stop here: the world didn’t manage to solve it and we certainly won’t either.

This is a place to discuss the Q. Wonderful images. 

To me, sometimes the Q is too wide, watching your images, the feeling remains. Would a 35/40mm have been a better choice?

Not criticizing, just wondering aloud…

Thanks, about the 28mm, well, for me it's good, I love 35 and 28, maybe the 35mm is a bit better overall, but since the Q makes a bit of zoom when in macro mode (I think is about 32-35mm) than it's okay for me.

The issue is that with a 35mm you can have a 28mm framing, with the 28 you can have the 35mm :D  about 90% of the photos I don't crop them, just make a step to go closer to the scene. Anyway I would have a 35mm f/1.4, but since it would be quite big (compared to the 28), then I prefer the 28/1.7 :)

9 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Wonderful photos.  The portraits showcase what the Q2 is capable of doing.  Some very close cropping but it all works.  You wouldn't think this was a 28mm fixed lens camera.

The Speaking Hand photo is brilliant, or should I say Magnifico!

Thanks, the photos aren't cropped usually, sometimes just some pixels to make the image straight :) 

By the way here's the "speaking hand" image in full size, or at least the size that Adobe uses to sync the images: https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/d2e4f59f18d44694a5502dfed30d9105/albums/2f90f339287d04702bb64b7e11ca1d20/assets/1e498ac99201d54904a25c3c640cc4b0/metadata

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, satijntje said:

It seems that the number of old men is proportional very high in Kosovo 🙂

Kosovo in one of the younger countries in Europe, but the young people are the same as Germany or France, so I was capturing the old men that are way more “storytelling”. 

what surprised me, was that almost all the people were man, not woman. Also inside the bazaar to make the grocery shopping.Curious !