Use of modern flash with M6 ttl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I’ve got a Leica M6 TTL and was wanting to be able to use it at night/low light on an upcoming trip so was wanting to use a flash (I’m fine with just using manual settings don’t need to use the actual TTL with a leica flash to save $$)

I did some reading online and was a bit confused so was hoping a few experts here could clarify:
I’ve already got an Olympus FL14 flash (manual here) which I was hoping I could use with the camera. However, I was a bit concerned after reading about the m6ttl and flash, as read I the m6 ttl is succeptible to the strobe voltage compared to m6 classic and older Ms.
My understanding is a newer flash like the fl14 should have a relatively low strobe voltage so shouldn’t do any damage but I was hoping anyone was able to let me know if they’ve ever used one or similar on a leica M, or alternatively the best way to check if the flash is safe (I have a multimeter handy).

Cheers!

Edited by jcherubino
fix broken link

The link to the Olympus flash manual didn't work for me.

I use Metz 54 MZ-3 and MZ-4 units with my M6TTLs and they work beautifully with the appropriate SCA 3502 adapter. I don't know if there's voltage differences between these units and the Olympus. I hadn't heard that the M6TTL has some susceptibility to different voltages than earlier Leicas but mine certainly haven't been fried or anything.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I hope it helps.

Apologies Phil, I've fixed the link now so it should be working.

Maybe I'm incorrect on the voltage succeptibility of the m6ttl but still a bit cautious!

Good to know the metz combo works well, seems very functional and more cost effective than a leica flash setup so that will be my next option if I can't use the olympus flash!

Thanks for the input

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jcherubino said:

Hi all,

I’ve got a Leica M6 TTL and was wanting to be able to use it at night/low light on an upcoming trip so was wanting to use a flash (I’m fine with just using manual settings don’t need to use the actual TTL with a leica flash to save $$)

I did some reading online and was a bit confused so was hoping a few experts here could clarify:
I’ve already got an Olympus FL14 flash (manual here) which I was hoping I could use with the camera. However, I was a bit concerned after reading about the m6ttl and flash, as read I the m6 ttl is succeptible to the strobe voltage compared to m6 classic and older Ms.
My understanding is a newer flash like the fl14 should have a relatively low strobe voltage so shouldn’t do any damage but I was hoping anyone was able to let me know if they’ve ever used one or similar on a leica M, or alternatively the best way to check if the flash is safe (I have a multimeter handy).

Cheers!

On the rare occasions I use flash with my M bodies, including the M6TTL, I use a small, non-dedicated Metz 20 C-2 (no Leica-specific adaptor) purchased many years ago specifically for this purpose. I think I checked compatibility with the M6TTL back then and I have never had any problems. The M6TTL has flash automation, including a built-in flash meter, so there is some electronics that is probably sensitive to overvoltage at the flash connector. However, the manual does not specify the maximum voltage allowed. Older Ms have a mechanical switch that can withstand even high voltages.

At least some older flashes, and maybe even some current studio strobes, seem to have the flash sync contacts connected to the high-voltage circuit feeding the flash tube, meaning a voltage of several hundred volts over the contacts. Most modern flashes use much lower trigger voltages in the range 3V to 6V. I measured the Metz 20 C-2 with a multimeter and it produced a voltage of approx. 6V when fully charged (ready to flash). I don't know how close this is to the M6TTL max. limit, but I would not suggest using flashes with a much higher voltage than this.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Jcherubino, I have both flashes Metz like Phil and SF24D like Huss. They work both on my M7 which is like the M6 TTL.

The flash sends an electrical signal to the camera , the voltage is different between the Olympus flash and the Metz or Leica flash.

Leica SF24D second hand is cheaper than new.

Best

Henry

If you want to use your flash with TTL- Mode you have to use a Leica Flash or a Metz- Flash with a Leica- suitable SCA- Mount.

Otherwise the camera could not control the flash.

The tiny Olympus flash has an A- Mode. You have to set your aperture on the lens pairing your used film. The light intensity is controlled by the flash.

I would not bother the voltage, as the problem with too high voltage may occure with old flashes on new cameras.

I use the older Metz 32 CT3 even on new digital cameras without problems in A-Mode.

Thanks everyone for the insight, much appreciated!

I've tested the Olympus FL-14 flash voltage when fully charged and it only reads 3V, so I can definitely conclude the flash isn't high voltage to damage the electronics like old school flashes.

The safety of using the flash seems supported by this old write-up explaining how to check flashes that I just found so I'll likely give it a go soon!

I'll update here with any findings for future readers who may be asking the same questions.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 8:08 AM, Doc Henry said:

Hi Jcherubino, I have both flashes Metz like Phil and SF24D like Huss. They work both on my M7 which is like the M6 TTL.

The flash sends an electrical signal to the camera , the voltage is different between the Olympus flash and the Metz or Leica flash.

Leica SF24D second hand is cheaper than new.

Best

Henry

Hi All, here are the voltages of different flashes as promised in my previous post , we see that it is very variable according to the flashes

and it is still hundreds of volts for the Metz flashes.

https://www.botzilla.com/page/strobeVolts.html

Best

Henry

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

Hi All, here are the voltages of different flashes as promised in my previous post , we see that it is very variable according to the flashes

and it is still hundreds of volts for the Metz flashes.

https://www.botzilla.com/page/strobeVolts.html

Best

Henry

Excellent post, thank you!

I have a brand new in box Vivitar 285v with all accessories.  Never used.  It is still over the 6v threshold.  Not that it really matters as it will just be used - if at all - on one of my old non Leica film cameras.  I use the 24d on my Leicas, and oem Nikon and Fuji flashes on those cameras.

• Thanks 1

Huss you are welcome 😀

An example :

Flash Leica SF24D used with diaphragm adjusted at f/8 < the information is given by the flash and Exposure speed set to 1/100 on the Leica M7 😀

Lens 90 Macro Elmar and film Kodak Portra 400 dev homelab .

What do you think ? the picture is Not corrected - direct scan in TIFF post in Jpeg

Best

Henry

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc Henry said:

Huss you are welcome 😀

An example :

Flash Leica SF24D used with diaphragm adjusted at f/8 < the information is given by the flash and Exposure speed set to 1/100 on the Leica M7 😀

Lens 90 Macro Elmar and film Kodak Portra 400 dev homelab .

What do you think ? the picture is Not corrected - direct scan in TIFF post in Jpeg

Best

Henry

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Isn't that above the sync speed?  I would have thought there would be an exposure issue.  Looks good!

• Thanks 1