M10 with fill-flash?

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Keep in mind that with a small flash you'll want to keep your exposure to a reasonable f4 or f5.6 at iso 100. At a max sync speed of 1/160, you'll need to use an ND filter to balance out the sky on a bright day. Here's an example using a Profoto A1X (not a small flash) on manual. M10, iso 160, 1/125th, f8 4 stop ND filter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

Not sure what to do, but the SF 40 is starting to sound like my better choice.  Fortunately, there is no hurry to do anything right now.

The SF-40 works fine in TTL mode as long as its flash output will be the primary light source in the image (i. e. low light situations).  When the ambient light is the primary light source and the SF-40 will be providing fill is when the problem occurs.  Just be prepared to go to manual control in those situations.  Be aware that the Auto Mode on the SF-40 is a variation of TTL and not auto-thyristor mode.

15 hours ago, Luke_Miller said:

When the ambient light is the primary light source and the SF-40 will be providing fill is when the problem occurs.

That is the reason I was going to buy the flash, and based on what you've written, I think I'll give up on this.   I suppose I could post two images, one with the Fuji fill-flash, and one without, and the difference will be obvious.  Maybe I'll just keep the Fuji for this kind of photo, and save the $500.  It's nothing urgent.  Thanks for all the explanations.

If/when I get to the Leica store, I'll check it out anyway.  

Or, maybe I'll learn how to use my Nikon SB-800 which I've had for ages, and stopped using long ago.  https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb800.htm

1 minute ago, MikeMyers said:

That is the reason I was going to buy the flash, and based on what you've written, I think I'll give up on this.   I suppose I could post two images, one with the Fuji fill-flash, and one without, and the difference will be obvious.  Maybe I'll just keep the Fuji for this kind of photo, and save the $500.  It's nothing urgent.  Thanks for all the explanations.

If/when I get to the Leica store, I'll check it out anyway.  

Or, maybe I'll learn how to use my Nikon SB-800 which I've had for ages, and stopped using long ago.  https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb800.htm

Metz 34 CS-2 Digital used on eBay. No TTL, but TTL is unreliable on most Leica cameras. 

13 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

Or, maybe I'll learn how to use my Nikon SB-800 which I've had for ages, and stopped using long ago.

The SB-800 will work fine in Auto mode.  It just feels awkward on an M like the big Metz sourced flashes.  Just manually enter the shooting ISO and aperture.  How to manually enter the ISO is not obvious since the flash normally receives it fron the Nikon body it is mounted on, but it is possible.

On 9/22/2022 at 2:56 AM, MikeMyers said:

Not sure what to do, but the SF 40 is starting to sound like my better choice.  Fortunately, there is no hurry to do anything right now.

just coming from a different angle, how to you feel about using a constant light like the LumeCube panel pro (or something generic like Ulanzi).

i keep one in my bag (some lights can also double as a powerbank). it doesn't offer the same level of power as a speedlight, but it does comes in handy as a fill light.  

Edited by sometimesmaybe

• 4 weeks later...

Love the photo of the jumping woman, btw.

Has anyone tried using the old Contax flashes for the G series?  The mention of the Metz 34 made me think of those, because I think Metz made them for Contax,  I still have my old TLA 140, which is very compact.  It and the TLA 200 only did manual at the set GN (plus TTL for the Contaxes), IIRC, but the low guide numbers may be useful for fill in flash.

Chazphoto