No Shutter release sometimes. Anyone else?

elmars

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It happened to me a couple of times that the M11 did not release even though I pressed the shutter button. The shutter did not release and no image was recorded.

At first, I was unsure if I had accidentally pressed the shutter incorrectly or if the electronic shutter was active. However, after being sensitized a bit, I am now actually sure that there is a bug. I had this at least twice. No freeze, I could take the next picture afterwards without any problems.

Has anyone had something similar or suspected something like this?

I had this with my M10M which I purchased earlier this year. Started in first week of use. Back to Leica Service, shutter unit replaced, took 4 weeks (New Jersey), was of course repaired free of charge under warranty.

While trying to ascertain what was going on, I used a cable shutter release, which triggered the shutter every time (if you cannot send the camera in for service right away, this might be a clunky workaround to keep you going).

1 hour ago, elmars said:

It happened to me a couple of times that the M11 did not release even though I pressed the shutter button. The shutter did not release and no image was recorded.

At first, I was unsure if I had accidentally pressed the shutter incorrectly or if the electronic shutter was active. However, after being sensitized a bit, I am now actually sure that there is a bug. I had this at least twice. No freeze, I could take the next picture afterwards without any problems.

Did you have the LCD active? on live view or play?
I found it too and it is a bug that will be fixed. when you touch the screen with face or finger the shutter does not fire!. If you then put off your face it works again

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, elmars said:

I'm sure you're talking about something else, but just checking, were you firing off a few frames in quick succession?

1 hour ago, elmars said:

This has happened to me once. Went through the same thought process. I actually thought the camera had crashed but the light meter in the RF was still changing when I pointed it at a different light source and the menus worked, apart from the "play" button. Could only resolve it by turning the camera off/on.

vor 54 Minuten schrieb M11 for me:

I recently had that too. It was very a very queer feeling- The camera would and would not release. Eventually I switched it off and on again and everything was fine. I did not have that since.

Thank You! That shows me I am not alone.

vor 51 Minuten schrieb Photoworks:

I found it too and it is a bug that will be fixed. when you touch the screen with face or finger the shutter does not fire!. If you then put off your face it works again

This could be a good explanation. I have just tried it. When the camera is in play mode, it can't be triggered when you move the image very slightly (as if scrolling to the next image). However, without moving the displayed photo, I can trigger. I have the camera set to 3 sec auto review. During this time I could have moved the image with my nose. One time when I couldn't trigger, I was in portrait mode (the other times I don't remember). That's when the nose gets to the display especially easily.

In liveview, however, I can always release the shutter, regardless of whether I hold my finger on the display or move it.

Regardless of whether this is the cause of my shutter lock: when the shutter button is pressed, the touchscreen has to be turned off and the camera triggered. Leica needs to change that.

• Like 1

It happened to me too.

Seems that Leica knows the bug and has a procedure to fix it  if it is a mechanical cause (obviously if it is not this procedure is not adapted).

The trigger rod (?) may be a little too short so it happens that it does not work when pushing on it.  As it happens randomly it is puzzling.

Went to the Leica store where the technitian explained me that and in less than 5 mn dismounted the trigger, put a thin gasket and voilà.

From that time no more problem.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, elmars said:

This could be a good explanation. I have just tried it. When the camera is in play mode, it can't be triggered when you move the image very slightly (as if scrolling to the next image). However, without moving the displayed photo, I can trigger. I have the camera set to 3 sec auto review. During this time I could have moved the image with my nose. One time when I couldn't trigger, I was in portrait mode (the other times I don't remember). That's when the nose gets to the display especially easily.

In liveview, however, I can always release the shutter, regardless of whether I hold my finger on the display or move it.

Regardless of whether this is the cause of my shutter lock: when the shutter button is pressed, the touchscreen has to be turned off and the camera triggered. Leica needs to change that.

it is already in the next update!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I have had this same issue in this same scenario.  Frustrating, but hopefully fixable in firmware update.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, elmars said:

Regardless of whether this is the cause of my shutter lock: when the shutter button is pressed, the touchscreen has to be turned off and the camera triggered.

How do you turn touch screen off? Must be mentioned somewhere but i can't seem to recall how.

6 minutes ago, elmars said:

The display must be turned off every time You press the shutter except the camera is in LV mode. Then the display must show the view through the lens. 

OK thank you so there is still no way to turn touch screen directly off? 

I don't know if I've expressed myself correctly. 

The display has three functions: Image playback, menu display and liveview. You can turn off the first two by pressing the shutter button - except when your finger moves the image during playback. This is a bug. In Liveview mode, you can turn off the display by pressing the corresponding function key or by turning it off in the quick menu.