Pairing M11 with Foto App

Edwin Ho

1 hour ago, Edwin Ho said:

I wonder if anyone who had a similar experience and can lead me to find solution.

I have never had trouble with leica fotos, but then i use iphone and ipad, dont know if that makes any difference 

in fact, due to its dual band wifi, i feel the connection is a tad faster and more reliable compared to my M10 days

27 minutes ago, jakontil said:

I have never had trouble with leica fotos, but then i use iphone and ipad, dont know if that makes any difference 

in fact, due to its dual band wifi, i feel the connection is a tad faster and more reliable compared to my M10 days

As an interim, I plan to purchase a Lightning to Android adapter and make use of the provided cable for the time being. Do you think this will work?

21 minutes ago, elmars said:

Go to settings in the App and there to manual (Anleitungen in German). 

I went to settings and do not find the "manual" there.  I am on 3.2.3 version. Do you mean the How-To tab to access tutorials?

Edited by Edwin Ho

vor 12 Minuten schrieb Edwin Ho:

Do you mean the How-To tab to access tutorials?

Probably. My proposal was to watch the video tutorials. I don´t know where to find them in the English version of the App.

Another try: Go to camera settings and set USB-mode to PTP.

1 hour ago, Edwin Ho said:

As an interim, I plan to purchase a Lightning to Android adapter and make use of the provided cable for the time being. Do you think this will work?

Im not sure since the lightning cable is exclusively designated for iphone, but i use anker or ugreen data cable usb c to usb c and works flawlessly with the ipad 

7 hours ago, Edwin Ho said:

there is no point, this only works with the iPhone and there is a chip in the port for the iPhone.

If your phone has usb-c you can use a USB-C 2.0 cable and it should just connect. It did work on my old LG phone

• Like 1

Afters several trial attempts I was able to connect the camera to Foto App. Following this, photos were successfully transferred to my Android phone. 😇

I will try and isolate the problem causing non-connection. It is likely one of the following:

• Ensure the WiFi is turned on in the camera. But I recalled this was turned on.
  • Changed WiFi band from 5GHz to 24GHz (which is the current bandwidth).

And many thanks to all who offered suggested solutions. BTW, I was at an IT store earlier today and was advised that using an adapter to connect an Android phone (USB-C) will not help. I am not sure if this is the reason that Leica provided only a cable with lightning connect for iPhone.

Edited by Edwin Ho
  • Like 1

Am 16.9.2022 um 16:05 schrieb Edwin Ho:

I am experiencing difficulty with the pairing process. After scanning QR code on M11, the app took ages to pair.

I am giving it another try. Wifi on M11 was turned on.

Yes, same here. The Leica App is a great (!) idea but still suboptimal to use. Pairing is slow, every time. And if you want to download larger batches of photos, it crashes again and again... Leica, please continue to improve:-) Great idea and functionality, but some more bugs to eliminate

6 hours ago, Edwin Ho said:

Afters several trial attempts I was able to connect the camera to Foto App. Following this, photos were successfully transferred to my Android phone. 😇

I will try and isolate the problem causing non-connection. It is likely one of the following:

• Ensure the WiFi is turned on in the camera. But I recalled this was turned on.
  • Changed WiFi band from 5GHz to 24GHz (which is the current bandwidth).

And many thanks to all who offered suggested solutions. BTW, I was at an IT store earlier today and was advised that using an adapter to connect an Android phone (USB-C) will not help. I am not sure if this is the reason that Leica provided only a cable with lightning connect for iPhone.

Hi edwin, i can connect the leica M11 with windows laptop, im sure android phone can do too with a proper cable, and make sure you switch the setting from MFI to PTP

but i havent tried so.. but im certain android boasts such transfer protocol 

4 hours ago, KEL said:

Yes, same here. The Leica App is a great (!) idea but still suboptimal to use. Pairing is slow, every time. And if you want to download larger batches of photos, it crashes again and again... Leica, please continue to improve:-) Great idea and functionality, but some more bugs to eliminate

Which devices have you used? During the early days of leica photo apps, it was a pain to transfer a single photo, but not so much nowadays, even the M10-R can transfer a bunch of 10 DNG’s at once though it’s always a tad slower than M11 but it’s solid

7 hours ago, jakontil said:

Hi edwin, i can connect the leica M11 with windows laptop, im sure android phone can do too with a proper cable, and make sure you switch the setting from MFI to PTP

Which devices have you used? During the early days of leica photo apps, it was a pain to transfer a single photo, but not so much nowadays, even the M10-R can transfer a bunch of 10 DNG’s at once though it’s always a tad slower than M11 but it’s solid

Samsung Galaxy A20 with external SD card.

After further tests, I have the following settings and it is working as far as photo transfer is concerned. Thought this may be helpful to some.

• Set WiFi on in Leica Fotos.
  • Set USB mode to FTP (not Apple MFi as I use an android phone and not using the USB-C to Lightning cable provided).
  • Set WiFi band to 24 GHz (instead of 5 GHz). Don't understand why; perhaps I am using Broadband internet home.

Just noticed DNG files will appear as Jpeg files on phone but that is fine with me. These files are stored in SD card of the phone in case I need them for sharing via social media platforms or email. Honestly, I will not use Leica Fotos much, but perhaps when travelling and away from home. In most cases I rather download images onto LR for editing and then convert to Jpeg for sharing. I am pleased to have the Leica Fotos "mystery" resolved.

Using Leica Fotos for remote control is another matter altogether. 

• Like 1

vor 17 Stunden schrieb jakontil:

M11 / WIFI / iPad Pro Mini (just 6 months old)

vor 17 Stunden schrieb jakontil: