Review: The Leica Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 ASPH. by Jonathan Slack

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, georgechan said:

You might want to take a look at this thread - basically they halted everything and they are not willing/cannot provide an ETA for this lens due to a production/QC issue. 

I got in touch with the Leica team in Australia earlier today again and nothing has changed. 

"You are more than welcome to keep your order and when it finally ships there is one assigned to you, or request a full refund."

That's what he said. 

Thanks for sharing this thread! I had no idea. How sad 😪 this wait has now become indefinite. 

5 hours ago, Bear said:

Thanks for sharing this thread! I had no idea. How sad 😪 this wait has now become indefinite. 

Yes...I would rather telling me I have to wait for two years so I can make up my mind to get a refund. Now I am worried what if I cancel the order and they resume the shipping next week...

4 hours ago, georgechan said:

Yes...I would rather telling me I have to wait for two years so I can make up my mind to get a refund. Now I am worried what if I cancel the order and they resume the shipping next week...

Right there with you on that. Thankfully for my situation, BH doesn't charge until they're ready to ship so I can keep myself on the waiting list until it does come around. My hunch is that it will be closer to two years than next week 😩

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine yesterday and I was assured that this copy won’t have the aperture blade issue. Managed to do a couple of shots, and the close focus is really wonderful. I do notice one thing though. Somehow the in camera JPEGs of the new FLE don’t correctly show the distortion correction when compared to my Zeiss Distagon. I always use the Lux 35mm profile for my Distagon and the in camera JPEGs show barely any distortion. And with the new FLE, the distortion is noticeable in the JPEGs.

However, when I open the new FLE’s RAW files in Lightroom and lens correction is applied, the distortion is properly corrected. So I don’t know what’s going on with the in camera JPEGs, perhaps they need to update the firmware to rectify this as it also affects the image preview on the LCD. And I don’t have the previous FLE version so I don’t know whether it’s the same case or not.

Edit: I’m shooting with the M11 body.

Edited by normie610

Well, Returned from my tirp and the lense was here at home.  Excieted to get it but....It's busted.  The ring has to be forced to click at 1.4 and the blades seem damaged as they do not open uniforml.  Someitmes it's one of them and sometimes 2.

Also somehow it is not focusing accurately through rangefinder, although I can get good shrpness with the viewfinder.  I am not technical enough to uderstand why. (my other lenses seem fine unless my rangefinder got off wack through travel.  See images for blade issue.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 4 Stunden schrieb S Maclean:

Well, Returned from my tirp and the lense was here at home.  Excieted to get it but....It's busted.  The ring has to be forced to click at 1.4 and the blades seem damaged as they do not open uniforml.  Someitmes it's one of them and sometimes 2.

Also somehow it is not focusing accurately through rangefinder, although I can get good shrpness with the viewfinder.  I am not technical enough to uderstand why. (my other lenses seem fine unless my rangefinder got off wack through travel.  See images for blade issue.

I still find it hard to believe. 
This is a disaster for Leica. 

4 hours ago, anickpick said:

I still find it hard to believe. 
This is a disaster for Leica. 

Yeah, pretty bad.  I suppose it happens.  This is the first time for me one of these lenses is off so iM not going to throw the baby with the bath water so to speak.

the worst part for me is not I have to wait a few months more….

Fortunately i just got a Summilux  21 mm 1.4 from Leica Madrid that I could not resist so that will keep me entertained.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, S Maclean said:

I had to return mine as well. It didn't focus properly with rangefinder. Aperture blade was fine. Mine was silver and there was another one at the store but with black color. I did try that one and it seems all is fine. So I took up the offer to exchange the silver one with the black one but it might take a couple of days to do the exchange. It's a pity that the quality control seems very poor indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An update to my situation, just got my replacement lens in black (which looks a bit dull compared to the silver one), and thank God, all is well. Aperture blades are ok, focus through rangefinder is very accurate, image quality is remarkable. Let’s hope that it stays this way for eternity 😁

• Like 1

17 hours ago, normie610 said:

An update to my situation, just got my replacement lens in black (which looks a bit dull compared to the silver one), and thank God, all is well. Aperture blades are ok, focus through rangefinder is very accurate, image quality is remarkable. Let’s hope that it stays this way for eternity 😁

How long before you got your replacement?

6 hours ago, S Maclean said:

How long before you got your replacement?

The store has it in stock so it’s a matter of admin stuff that took just one business day to sort out. And I’ve tested the replacement before I decided to do the exchange (they literally open the sealed box of the black lens in order for me to try It).  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, normie610 said:

The store has it in stock so it’s a matter of admin stuff that took just one business day to sort out. And I’ve tested the replacement before I decided to do the exchange (they literally open the sealed box of the black lens in order for me to try It).  

Lucky

22 hours ago, S Maclean said:

Lucky

Not so lucky after all. It turns out after two days using it, the same exact problem happens. Can’t focus accurately through rangefinder. It’s weird because initially it was working fine. I suspect this has got to do with the close focus. Perhaps the focusing distance > 0.7m got misaligned once the close focus is frequently used/engaged. Here are the pictures of the rangefinder and the corresponding results:

Rangefinder IN FOCUS:

Result: Blurry image

Rangefinder NOT IN FOCUS:

Result: Sharp image

25 minutes ago, normie610 said:

Not so lucky after all. It turns out after two days using it, the same exact problem happens. Can’t focus accurately through rangefinder. It’s weird because initially it was working fine. I suspect this has got to do with the close focus. Perhaps the focusing distance > 0.7m got misaligned once the close focus is frequently used/engaged. Here are the pictures of the rangefinder and the corresponding results:

Rangefinder IN FOCUS:

What’s going on with this lens? I’m tempted to cancel my replacement order.  But I honestly can’t believe all these issues are happening

8 minutes ago, S Maclean said:

What’s going on with this lens? I’m tempted to cancel my replacement order.  But I honestly can’t believe all these issues are happening

Yeah it’s very frustrating. I’m returning the lens and won’t ask for a replacement. Not until I’m assured that all these issues have been resolved. It’s a shame really.  

5 hours ago, normie610 said:

Rangefinder IN FOCUS:

This really worries me. My copy so far works as it should but it’s starting to feel like a time bomb that would break at anytime….

Edited by Ktsa5239