Wollensak Velostigmat 9cm and Elmar 9cm - are the heads interchangeable??

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.
I was wondering whether the heads of both are interchangeable, i.e. can you screw the head of Elmar 9cm into the barrel of Wollensak Velostigmat 9cm New York? I have seen one such combo but the optical lens was destroyed so I was unable to test. I know the top of inner barrel should have matching last three digits, but I did not get to check them.
My two further questions: are Wollensak Velostigmat 9cm 4.5 lenses RF coupled? And was there ever a E. Leitz New York 9cm Elmar?
Thank you for your answers.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown

• Al Brown changed the title to Wollensak Velostigmat 9cm and Elmar 9cm - are they the same flange?
  • Al Brown changed the title to Wollensak Velostigmat 9cm and Elmar 9cm - are the heads interchangeable??

That's really an odd item.... the front ring is clearly Elmar of the "narrow front ring" variant - consistent with the s/n - but the diaphragm scale looks a sort of do it yourself... 🙄 : with a "84" closure (a misengraved 64 ?) , 6,3 and 9 red painted... "13" which is an oddity (std, should be 12,5) and the DOF scale with international apertures...

• Like 1

BTW, the Wollensak Velostigmat 90 mm f 4,5 was RF coupled (Leitz NY made the mount,  Wollensak provided the glass) , and was listed in US as LEXXC ... a wholly "made in USA" Leitz item (not the only one, anyway) : but the depicted item looks to have the distance scale in meters... another oddity : I have seen several Wollensaks 90 (some named "Raptar") and all of them, not surprisingly, are scaled in feet.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 12:33 PM, luigi bertolotti said:

BTW, the Wollensak Velostigmat 90 mm f 4,5 was RF coupled (Leitz NY made the mount,  Wollensak provided the glass) , and was listed in US as LEXXC ... a wholly "made in USA" Leitz item (not the only one, anyway) : but the depicted item looks to have the distance scale in meters... another oddity : I have seen several Wollensaks 90 (some named "Raptar") and all of them, not surprisingly, are scaled in feet.

I have tried to unscrew the "Elmar" unit with no avail...

On 9/16/2022 at 3:13 AM, luigi bertolotti said:

That's really an odd item.... the front ring is clearly Elmar of the "narrow front ring" variant - consistent with the s/n - but the diaphragm scale looks a sort of do it yourself... 🙄 : with a "84" closure (a misengraved 64 ?) , 6,3 and 9 red painted... "13" which is an oddity (std, should be 12,5) and the DOF scale with international apertures...

Hello Everybody,

The "84" can be a number of things:

Following the 1/3 smaller f stop sequence on the lens from: 11 - 16 - 22 - 32 - 45 - 64 the numbers would be: 12.5 - 18 - 25 - 36 - 50

Or possibly 48 in place of 50. Keeping in mind that 84 is a transposed 48.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Certainly doesn’t look like mine, in the middle, between prewar and postwar Elmars.

• Like 2

Were Elmars 9cm pre-war in feet made for US market exclusively? @luigi bertolotti @Michael Geschlecht
Here is mine from 1937, SOOC JPG of ELANG & FIKUS. Sounds so cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Were Elmars 9cm pre-war in feet made for US market exclusively? @luigi bertolotti @Michael Geschlecht

Apparently, the feet scale was available anywhere, on demand ; of course they were probably the standard delivery for US, UK and related markets like Australia or South Africa : see this extract from the French Catalog of 1934 :

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1