New edition of the Leica Summilux-M 1.4/35mm ASPH.

Ken Abrahams

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, tightsqueez said:

Good question… December 20/21 was when my dealer received the lens. There’s no way to know when it was manufactured because I didn’t buy the lens. 

Ah ok i thought it was fresh from factory, i received mine recently but may take up some more time since it’s third world region, just wish it’s at least sorted out

5 minutes ago, jakontil said:

Ah ok i thought it was fresh from factory, i received mine recently but may take up some more time since it’s third world region, just wish it’s at least sorted out

I think if yours is dated for November it should be good to go. They halted production quite awhile before that. 

I would have snapped it up but have been content with my new 35 Cron APO. 

40 minutes ago, tightsqueez said:

I think if yours is dated for November it should be good to go. They halted production quite awhile before that. 

I would have snapped it up but have been content with my new 35 Cron APO. 

Yeah between this and the apo… closer focus or wider aperture, i was torn too.. but i picked the lux, apo is so hard to get 

I received my new Summilux 35mm FLE II yesterday from Leica SoHo, NYC. I plan on shooting casually with it today on my M11.

it seems nice, but I actually prefer the look of the metal rectangular hood on the previous model that I traded in for the new model. Those rectangular screw on metal hoods provide a lot of protection for the front element of the lens. I’m not so sre about the new lens hood.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

I have not noticed any increased flare sensitivity of the new over the old Summilux so far. The new lens hood is shorter, but it is also narrower. Maybe that's why it has a similar protective effect. In any case, the advantage of the new hood is that the lens no longer covers the viewfinder so much.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

pulled the trigger and received the lens, hope it wont have the blade issue, so far liking it as much as the previous FLE which i sold years ago and missed it since

shot wide open, very subtle, reminds me back to lux renderings 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 hours ago, budjames said:

I received my new Summilux 35mm FLE II yesterday from Leica SoHo, NYC. I plan on shooting casually with it today on my M11.

it seems nice, but I actually prefer the look of the metal rectangular hood on the previous model that I traded in for the new model. Those rectangular screw on metal hoods provide a lot of protection for the front element of the lens. I’m not so sre about the new lens hood.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

No compelling reason for me to switch from the first FLE… I like the screw-in hood, no need for a couple more aperture blades, and I only use the RF, so close focus is wasted on me and only adds complexity. All else is the same, and my copy works perfectly. One less thing to go wrong.

Jeff

4 hours ago, elmars said:

I have not noticed any increased flare sensitivity of the new over the old Summilux so far. The new lens hood is shorter, but it is also narrower. Maybe that's why it has a similar protective effect. In any case, the advantage of the new hood is that the lens no longer covers the viewfinder so much.

This is the main question I had about he new lens. Glad to hear it offers similar flare protection. Would you be able to post an image of the view through the finder to asses how much the new lens blocks the view?

Edited by Antonio Russell

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

No compelling reason for me to switch from the first FLE… I like the screw-in hood, no need for a couple more aperture blades, and I only use the RF, so close focus is wasted on me and only adds complexity. All else is the same, and my copy works perfectly. One less thing to go wrong.

Jeff

Same here. I was excited about the FLE II at first but I like the look of the rectangular hood. After Leica Miami did the 35 Summilux show with comparisons I don't see any practical reason to upgrade unless it's just for close focus.

19 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Jeff

I shot with the my new FLE II lens yesterday. It handles well and at the IQ is excellent. Bokah balls of Christmas lights a f2 to 2.8 in the background are perfect circles. Nice! My original FLE focus ring was very easy to move. The new lens focus ring has some resistance which makes quick focusing a little tougher, but I'm sure this will break in with use. I do use the close focusing which is one of the main reason for me to upgrade.

I still prefer the look of the rectangular lens hood on my old FLE, but I'm okay with the new design. It's similar to the design on the APO-Summicron 50mm which works fine.

Happy New Year everyone!

Regards,
Bud James

• 3 weeks later...

As the original poster here, I was initially hoping to pick up a used lens however  I managed to purchase a new copy of the previous 35 Summilux version. I like the metal hood and everything else about this lens. Couldn't be happier. 

My dealer contacted me a week ago. He had a new silver 35 FLE2 in stock and I could test it if I wanted.  So I went and for the first time in my life I really shook a lens to test it. The lens passed the shake test with flying colors. I didn't think I would appreciate the 40cm close focus distance so much. In the end, I couldn't resist the temptation (which of course had been clear to my dealer from the beginning)...