New edition of the Leica Summilux-M 1.4/35mm ASPH.

Ken Abrahams

41 minutes ago, evikne said:

All the combination possibilities with the thread protection ring and the removable hood of the FLE made me crazy:

• no thread protection ring, no hood, no filter
  • thread protection ring, no hood, no filter
  • no thread protection ring, no hood, filter
  • no thread protection ring, hood, no filter
  • thread protection ring, filter, no hood … 🤪

Strange... I don't use often filters but mine fit perfectly with the FLE's hood...

Edited by lct

It looks compelling, but I don't see a reason to sell my 11663 to get this.  While 11 blades and closer focusing seems attractive, it's going to be 24 months from today by the time this lens could be in my hands.  My current 35 ASPH FLE is my "go to" lens for all occasions.  And I'm still on the wait list 16 months later for the 35 APO.  It's nice that Leica will make my FLE more valuable when they stop production and it's harder to find in 10 years, but I'd have a really hard time justifying this upgrade. 

Edited by tedwill

It should not necessarily be seen as a " necessary upgrade" to the current FLE as the incentives are weak unless someone really needs close focusing. I guess it just refreshes the FLE and makes it more attractive for those who need 35mm and faster than f2.  

1 hour ago, lct said:

OK but what is the problem exactly? Just curious.

Just too many options and too many loose parts to deal with (two different lens caps too). It was too hard to decide. 

A built-in hood and no thread protection ring would make life a lot easier. 😄

Edited by evikne

20 minutes ago, evikne said:

Just too many options. It was too difficult to decide. 

A built-in hood and no thread protection ring would make life a lot easier. 😄

Ah yes i see what you mean. I always use hoods on the FLE so i don't see this as an issue. YMMV.

Sigh. I JUST purchased the current gen 35mm FLE last month. It's a great lens and doesn't leave me wanting for another 35 but I'll wait to see what the reviews on this are like and continue enjoying what I have. My current favorite M lens is the Noctilux f/1.2 reissue, so perhaps newer isn't necessarily "better."

The 35 APO isn't so tempting for me because I primarily shoot 35 for indoor environments where 50mm is too cramped, and these also tend to be situations where the extra stop is helpful vs my 50 APO.

Edited by Jeremy Bunting

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Bunting said:

Sigh. I JUST purchased the current gen 35mm FLE last month. It's a great lens and doesn't leave me wanting for another 35 but I'll wait to see what the reviews on this are like and continue enjoying what I have. My current favorite M lens is the Noctilux f/1.2 reissue, so perhaps newer isn't necessarily "better."

I just bought my FLE this week 😀