New edition of the Leica Summilux-M 1.4/35mm ASPH.

Ken Abrahams

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A little bit of competition : Voigltander 35/1.5

https://www-cosina-co-jp.translate.goog/voigtlander/vm-mount/nokton-vintage-line-35mm-f1-5-aspherical/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

"Adopting two double-sided aspherical lenses, it exhibits extremely excellent optical performance from the maximum aperture of F1.5"

Close focus to 0.5m. Same size as 35mm Summicron.

6 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

https://www-cosina-co-jp.translate.goog/voigtlander/vm-mount/nokton-vintage-line-35mm-f1-5-aspherical/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

"Adopting two double-sided aspherical lenses, it exhibits extremely excellent optical performance from the maximum aperture of F1.5"

Excited to see this lens. I’m in the market for a 35 Summilux but may try this and save some $ for a 35 APO when I can get one. Crazy?

7 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

Thanks for the link, good to see what it looks like and I can't wait to see some reviews on this. I like the aperture scale better than the f2 but really wish they would ditch that chrome ring. If the rendering is nice I may get this in silver (looks better with the shiny hood mount) for another 35mm option.

9 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

I was really excited about this until I saw minimum focusing distance of 0.5m. Without a mechanism to tell me I’m past 0.7m, on film this “feature” is the opposite of one 😕

Just received mine and a few test images - 1 at .7 and the other at close focus. Also tested on the SL2 with Hawks factory close focus adapter for m-mount will create another post on that one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A couple of tests using the Hawk's factory close focus adapter on the SL2 with the new 35mm Summilux. I think I can sell my macro adapter :)

Leica adding the ability to use stabilization without 6bit coded lens in the last firmware update made using the Hawks adapter a great option in low light

Both handheld no tripod

F8, 1/200 and ISO 100 on the outdoor image

F8, 1/20 and ISO 800 on the basket photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is one of my first shots with the V2 of summilux 35 1,4 on the M11.

On 10/9/2022 at 12:27 PM, Jeremy Bunting said:

It’s the Leica case and strap in olive. Love the magnetic bottom so I never need to take it off. Could have been cheaper, though. 

Why, yes - of course.  They're made by Leica - they could ALWAYS be cheaper!! 😅

Edited by Herr Barnack

For those who already received the lens, how long did you guys wait for? 

I ordered mine on Sep 29 and the staff told me the ETA is 2-4 weeks. Since I didn't see any updates so I emailed today and asked if the lens has left Germany, and the staff replied they cannot provide an ETA, and the waiting time could up to months. 

I am so confused as I have an assignment that I would like to take the lens with me in mid November...Can someone advises me please?

4 hours ago, georgechan said:

For those who already received the lens, how long did you guys wait for? 

I ordered mine on Sep 29 and the staff told me the ETA is 2-4 weeks. Since I didn't see any updates so I emailed today and asked if the lens has left Germany, and the staff replied they cannot provide an ETA, and the waiting time could up to months. 

I am so confused as I have an assignment that I would like to take the lens with me in mid November...Can someone advises me please?

Same boat here minus the assignment pressure.  Inordered mine right away but did so through Adorama NYC.  I'm supposed to be part of the first batch receipients but they give me no eta (becasue Leica is not giving them any eta either.)

I shlild have ordered throguh the Leica store but I don't have any contacts there so I thought Adorama was a better bet.  Not so.

Update - 

I received this email earlier today and it's really disappointing. 

3 hours ago, georgechan said:

Update - 

I received this email earlier today and it's really disappointing. 

Wow. That is very disappointing. I am on a few order lists and was considering getting on another pre order list, but now I may just get a V1 for use on my M11. What are you going to do? Refund or find elsewhere?

1 hour ago, eyeheartny said:

Wow. That is very disappointing. I am on a few order lists and was considering getting on another pre order list, but now I may just get a V1 for use on my M11. What are you going to do? Refund or find elsewhere?

I am going to get myself a second hand voigtlander for now, and probably sell it when I receive the new FLE II.

I bought the FLE 11663 in May and sold the lens immediately after placing my order on the new FLE II. Now I got no 35mm to use. Jokes on me.

I got another email from Leica saying:

1. This is abnormal (exact wording from Sydney leica store)

2. The lens is not discontinued (😅)

3. No more stock until further notice, and this is global (exact wording)

Take these into account if you consider ordering one

1 minute ago, georgechan said:

I am going to get myself a second hand voigtlander for now, and probably sell it when I receive the new FLE II.

I bought the FLE 11663 in May and sold the lens immediately after placing my order on the new FLE II. Now I got no 35mm to use. Jokes on me.

I got another email from Leica saying:

1. This is abnormal (exact wording from Sydney leica store)

2. The lens is not discontinued (😅)

3. No more stock until further notice, and this is global (exact wording)

Take these into account if you consider ordering one

Good info from Leica and thanks for sharing. I think I may get a 11663 and eventually sell it when the V2 becomes more available or I can get a 35 APO. 

Do consider the Voigtlander 35 Ultron. It’s an excellent little lens, super sharp, nice bokeh, colors are super rich. Incredibly small too! Just a gem of a lens. I will keep mine even if I get a 11663, it’s just great. 

A few lucky (or unlucky i should say) people in Asia were treated to a rude shock when we got our first batch of shipment of this lens.

Yes, this was brand new out of the box, the aperture blades fell out of place and literally death on arrival.

From what I heard, almost 3 out of 4 people whom I know who got the lens early also got this same issue. Needless to say, they all returned the lens to Wetzlar. I wouldn't be surprised if they're now halting shipments of all units to do a proper QC and come up with a fix, because really, this is SUPER ridiculous .

12 hours ago, eyeheartny said:

Do consider the Voigtlander 35 Ultron. It’s an excellent little lens, super sharp, nice bokeh, colors are super rich. Incredibly small too! Just a gem of a lens. I will keep mine even if I get a 11663, it’s just great. 

I'll second that, only my suggestion would be to go for the 35 Ultron II asph. It's smaller, light and sharper than version I. It's a fabulous lens. 

5 hours ago, dsetiono01 said:

A few lucky (or unlucky i should say) people in Asia were treated to a rude shock when we got our first batch of shipment of this lens.

Yes, this was brand new out of the box, the aperture blades fell out of place and literally death on arrival.

From what I heard, almost 3 out of 4 people whom I know who got the lens early also got this same issue. Needless to say, they all returned the lens to Wetzlar. I wouldn't be surprised if they're now halting shipments of all units to do a proper QC and come up with a fix, because really, this is SUPER ridiculous .

That is just shocking!!!  The good news is that reading this has completely eliminated my GAS symptoms. 

Edited by fotografr

16 hours ago, dsetiono01 said:

I agree with you. This is probably the reason. 

Leica's QC is a joke now. I bought a 50mm summilux earlier this year in Hong Kong, and the first one I got couldn't focus to infinity, returned it, replaced with another one, the hood was not retractable. Luckily I opened the box and tested the lens right in front of the staff and the issue is quite obvious so they offered me a refund.