New edition of the Leica Summilux-M 1.4/35mm ASPH.

Ken Abrahams

21 hours ago, vikag said:

Does the optical formula have anything to do with focus shift we experience when we change aperture from 1.4 to 2.8 for the same distance? My current FLE has it and Leica told me at the time it is ans expected. Wondering if the new one is the same. That focus shift really bothers me sometimes. 

funny. I have tested my FLE and there is no focus shift.

4 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

funny. I have tested my FLE and there is no focus shift.

The focus shift of my FLE (every fast lens has a certain amount of it..) is minimal and is within the greater depth of field (zone of acceptable sharpness..) of the smaller aperture when the lens is stopped down.

I suppose @vikagFLE is not within standard and should be fixed od replaced by Leica.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:29 AM, junix said:

The focus shift of my FLE (every fast lens has a certain amount of it..) is minimal and is within the greater depth of field (zone of acceptable sharpness..) of the smaller aperture when the lens is stopped down.

I suppose @vikagFLE is not within standard and should be fixed od replaced by Leica.

Well I have email from Leica confirming the focus shift as normal behaviour when I sent my lens to them for this specific reason. 

Edited by vikag

On 9/27/2022 at 11:38 AM, jonoslack said:

My understanding is that the glass type is the same, the coating is the same, the optical formula is the same. The advantages are simply:

1. more aperture blades

2. new lens hood

3. close focus

Just That!

We also have a brand new lens housing, so there could be some things affected such as internal flare reduction and/or a reduction in copy variance from ideal spec.

11 hours ago, vikag said:

Well I have email from Leica confirming the focus shift as normal behaviour when I sent my lens to them for this specific reason. 

I’m sorry to read this. My dealer would have replaced the lens immediately no questions asked, the FLE is too expensive to exhibit considerable focus shift.

But you can always use it on a film Leica where the problem disappears. 😜

Edited by junix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/27/2022 at 12:42 PM, jonoslack said:

I understand that's what you were told (as were others). But what I understand is that they considered doing this but didn't . . . and that the old document which was leaked is not actually the case . . . It would be incredibly difficult to test this with side by side comparisons with test targets (sample variation would likely be more significant). . . . maybe it's better to just believe what Peter Karbe and my contacts are saying, which is that optically the lenses are identical. 

Jono, for someone like me who doesn’t own either of these, would you recommend the v2 or v1? There’s about a $1k USD difference in cost. I’m leaning toward the V2 but would welcome your thoughts. 

Am 30.9.2022 um 00:11 schrieb vikag:

That's kind of strange because the old 35/1.4 pre FLE was supposed to have focus shift (and it did) and the FLE (floating element) version was marketed to eliminate (or drastically reduce) focus shift. I haven't seen problems with focus shift with my sample of the FLE.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:43 AM, eyeheartny said:

Jono, for someone like me who doesn’t own either of these, would you recommend the v2 or v1? There’s about a $1k USD difference in cost. I’m leaning toward the V2 but would welcome your thoughts. 

Hi There 

Well, I'd get version 2 - the advantages are 1. 11 Aperture Blades 2. new sliding shade 3. close focus. . . seems worth the extra to me!

best

Jono

1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

That's kind of strange because the old 35/1.4 pre FLE was supposed to have focus shift (and it did) and the FLE (floating element) version was marketed to eliminate (or drastically reduce) focus shift. I haven't seen problems with focus shift with my sample of the FLE.

Just now, elmars said:

So it is!

Perhaps 'Drastically Reduce' is the relevant word - the FLE is certainly hugely improved over the previous version - perhaps vikag's focus shift was within the limits of Leica's spec and hence their email. . . . . I can't imagine there could be any fault with the lens which would make it worse.

The close focus is pretty amazing, click on it to check out the sharpness :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ktsa5239

On 9/25/2022 at 4:30 PM, Jeremy Bunting said:

Well, I've already lost the terrible plastic E46 lens cap that comes with the 35mm Summilux FLE v2. I brushed up against a subway door and that was all she wrote.

But it turns out that the metal cap that came with my 50mm Noctilux f1.2 reissue is a perfect fit over the lens hood of the FLE v2, as opposed to over the lens only, as is the case with the plastic E46 cap. Paradoxically, the Noctilux f1.2 cap doesn't actually fit over that lens if you use it with a UV filter, which I do, so I can't use it with the lens it's intended for. 

I have to wonder if Leica just assumes people don't use lens caps.

Anyway, if you pick up a 35mm FLE v2 and you're annoyed by the absolutely garbage cap that comes with it, I highly recommend this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1684256-REG/leica_12480_lens_cap_for_noctilux_m.html

...which is a snug, secure fit over the entire retractable lens hood, and also just feels much more premium and befitting of a lens of this caliber.

The E46 plastic cap makes absolutely no sense for 35mm FLE v2. If you accidentally pull the hood out while the cap is on, the cap is gone. If you brush up against anything even slightly, the cap is gone. 

Needless to say, I expect much better at this price point. The details matter.

I chatted with B&H and the rep (with 100% confidence) said this will not fit the 35 FLE V2. Has anyone tried this. If not too much trouble can you share a photo? Also, I am going to assume having the Leica UV filter should not be as issue with thus cap? Thank you

4 hours ago, Dob3rman said:

I chatted with B&H and the rep (with 100% confidence) said this will not fit the 35 FLE V2. Has anyone tried this. If not too much trouble can you share a photo? Also, I am going to assume having the Leica UV filter should not be as issue with thus cap? Thank you

I use mine with a UV filter (image below). It works great. It is a tad snug but given my tendency to lose lens caps I don't view this as an issue.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!