New edition of the Leica Summilux-M 1.4/35mm ASPH.

Ken Abrahams

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

Got this lens. Love it. Now it makes more sense to use it on SLx as a fast 35mm lens with 0.4M MFD. At 70cm, the new lens show less CA than v1 on SL2S with my copies and it is also a little sharper. Not sure it is copy difference or formula tweak for sensor stack. I also used them both on m11 but haven’t exam them carefully side by side yet.  V1 I prefer use it at f2 but new one at f1.4 has more definition to my eye. 

if old lens I give 80/100, now I give 90/100 in term of usefulness for my personal usage. 

Thank You .  As you have both do you have any images that can be compared?  

1 hour ago, S Maclean said:

Thank You .  As you have both do you have any images that can be compared?  

I do have both. Not plan to do any side by side comparison here other than quick Lightroom checking as I feel there are too many variables ( such as copy variation. ) I don’t want this to be a false claim as my  personal experience with my copy. You have to take my word for it for what they worth. :)

For me, the biggest incentive to get this lens are MFD of 40mm and integrated hood. Anything more than that is cherry on top. 

I also love it’s ergo slightly better. (Feel fatter and shorter in hand) it (shape and hood) reminds me of Leica 35mm summicron R which I always feel having perfect ergo. 

BTW, it has very respectful MFD performance at f1.4 IMO. Almost surprised me.  

Edited by ZHNL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZHNL said:

I do have both. Not plan to do any side by side comparison here other than quick Lightroom checking as I feel there are too many variables ( such as copy variation. ) I don’t want this to be a false claim as my  personal experience with my copy. You have to take my word for it for what they worth. :)

For me, the biggest incentive to get this lens are MFD of 40mm and integrated hood. Anything more than that is cherry on top. 

I also love it’s ergo slightly better. (Feel fatter and shorter in hand) it (shape and hood) reminds me of Leica 35mm summicron R which I always feel having perfect ergo. 

BTW, it has very respectful MFD performance at f1.4 IMO. Almost surprised me.  

Fair enough. Good news all around anyway.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Which one do you prefer?

Between the APO 50 cron and the 35 lux v2?  I'd say they two are very different lenses, like two different calligraphy pens.  I love them both equally, and more than any other lenses I have ever owned. 

I have previously owned the 35mm summilux pre-asph for many years, and the 35mm FLE v1 for a short while.  The FLE v2 gives me more value than both of these lenses - with a commercially usable f/1.4 and closer focus.  (I also see more sharpness and more subtle bokeh than the I did in the V1 - but this is subjective and I won't push the point).

Edited by phototrope
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, phototrope said:

Between the APO 50 cron and the 35 lux v2?  I'd say they two are very different lenses, like two different calligraphy pens.  I love them both equally, and more than any other lenses I have ever owned. 

I have previously owned the 35mm summilux pre-asph for many years, and the 35mm FLE v1 for a short while.  The FLE v2 gives me more value than both of these lenses - with a commercially usable f/1.4 and closer focus.  (I also see more sharpness and more subtle bokeh than the I did in the V1 - but this is subjective and I won't push the point).

This is very well-stated. Some of us find value in this new closer-focusing Summilux FLE. I love the example of “two different calligraphy pens.” 🙂

I do, also, believe that it is possible to love two lenses equally. My first Leica M lens, the lens that lured me into adding the Leica M camera system, will always be “The Favorite,” but, there can be a true need for other focal lengths, or a different type of performance, within the same focal length, which can lead to loving more than one lens equally.

19 minutes ago, Dob3rman said:

When will this be available in US? IS it already shipping? Best place to get it quick?

It’s already here for pre order but not sure if anyone has it yet.  I’m on the list at Adorama NYC and got early enough that they say I should be getting it on first batch, but they don’t have an eta. Both Adorama and BH have really long lists at this point.  I am assuming Leica will ship to Leica stores first but I’m hoping Adorama and BH are big enough to get some attention soon ( ish)

Well, I've already lost the terrible plastic E46 lens cap that comes with the 35mm Summilux FLE v2. I brushed up against a subway door and that was all she wrote.

But it turns out that the metal cap that came with my 50mm Noctilux f1.2 reissue is a perfect fit over the lens hood of the FLE v2, as opposed to over the lens only, as is the case with the plastic E46 cap. Paradoxically, the Noctilux f1.2 cap doesn't actually fit over that lens if you use it with a UV filter, which I do, so I can't use it with the lens it's intended for. 

I have to wonder if Leica just assumes people don't use lens caps.

Anyway, if you pick up a 35mm FLE v2 and you're annoyed by the absolutely garbage cap that comes with it, I highly recommend this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1684256-REG/leica_12480_lens_cap_for_noctilux_m.html

...which is a snug, secure fit over the entire retractable lens hood, and also just feels much more premium and befitting of a lens of this caliber.

The E46 plastic cap makes absolutely no sense for 35mm FLE v2. If you accidentally pull the hood out while the cap is on, the cap is gone. If you brush up against anything even slightly, the cap is gone. 

Needless to say, I expect much better at this price point. The details matter.

Edited by Jeremy Bunting
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Bunting said:

Well, I've already lost the terrible plastic E46 lens cap that comes with the 35mm Summilux FLE v2. I brushed up against a subway door and that was all she wrote.

But it turns out that the metal cap that came with my 50mm Noctilux f1.2 reissue is a perfect fit over the lens hood of the FLE v2, as opposed to over the lens only, as is the case with the plastic E46 cap. Paradoxically, the Noctilux f1.2 cap doesn't actually fit over that lens if you use it with a UV filter, which I do, so I can't use it with the lens it's intended for. 

Anyway, if you pick up a 35mm FLE v2 and you're annoyed by the absolutely garbage cap that comes with it, I highly recommend this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1684256-REG/leica_12480_lens_cap_for_noctilux_m.html

...which is a snug, secure fit over the entire retractable lens hood, and also just feels much more premium and befitting of a lens of this caliber.

The E46 plastic cap makes absolutely no sense for 35mm FLE v2. If you accidentally pull the hood out while the cap is on, the cap is gone. If you brush up against anything even slightly, the cap is gone. 

I do agree with you, but the cap you are suggesting can also fall in a subway no?

1 hour ago, S Maclean said:

I do agree with you, but the cap you are suggesting can also fall in a subway no?

In theory, but it would take a much more significant bump because the hood cap is both tighter and covers more surface area (given that it fits over the hood). I haven't lost the cap on my APO 50 yet, which similarly fits over the hood, and the silver showing through on the cap indicate it's taken a bump or two.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:06 PM, ZHNL said:

Got this lens. Love it. Now it makes more sense to use it on SLx as a fast 35mm lens with 0.4M MFD. At 70cm, the new lens show less CA than v1 on SL2S with my copies and it is also a little sharper. Not sure it is copy difference or formula tweak for sensor stack. I also used them both on m11 but haven’t exam them carefully side by side yet.  V1 I prefer use it at f2 but new one at f1.4 has more definition to my eye. 

if old lens I give 80/100, now I give 90/100 in term of usefulness for my personal usage. 

Same formula, but better glass types, apparently. Ie more transmissive, sharper.

7 minutes ago, decurion99 said:

Same formula, but better glass types, apparently. Ie more transmissive, sharper.

Right.  I do have the 50 APO and love the cap, The one you posted seemed shallower on the images.  I haven’t handled it so i would not know.

This said I do plan on following your suggestion once i get the Lux 35 mm.

Thank you

14 hours ago, Jeremy Bunting said:

@Jeremy Bunting That's really good to know. Thanks for reporting.

Does the  Noctilux f1.2 lens fit over the 35mm lux v2 with filter attached?

By the way, the beautiful metal cap that comes with the APO 50 cron fits perfectly over the 35mm lux V1 (which I found out when I used to own it)

Edited by phototrope

14 hours ago, Jeremy Bunting said:

Are you using a filter ? on other lenses with similar pull out hoods that makes the plastic cap lip more prone to catching.

On 9/23/2022 at 3:51 PM, decurion99 said:

I heard that the new FLE is actually more different than people think. Leica apparently used different glass types with higher transmission factors meaning the resolution should be improved a bit. Not sure how true this is - would require a side-by-side shot of a controlled scene by someone who just got the FLE2 and is about the sell the FLE1 ...

Would be super appreciated if someone could shoot a textured scene and focus on infinity with both lenses ... ie fixed camera on tripod and then swapping the lens.

Peter K was saying it is the same glass, and at the end said that if you own the FLE you should not get the new one.

he is not a good sales men if you ask me! but it is nice to get his opinion .

some of you can understand German , my German is a little rusty but there are English subtitles.

• Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Photoworks:

Peter K was saying it is the same glass, and at the end said that if you own the FLE you should not get the new one.

he is not a good sales men if you ask me! but it is nice to get his opinion .

some of you can understand German , my German is a little rusty but there are English subtitles.

Well, what he is telling is that if you own the FLE  you do not necessarily need to get the new one. The old one is still a good lens and the near focus capabilities can be attained via the  macro adapter. ( which is not for free either ;) )

7 minutes ago, Steve Ash said:

Well, what he is telling is that if you own the FLE  you do not necessarily need to get the new one. The old one is still a good lens and the near focus capabilities can be attained via the  macro adapter. ( which is not for free either ;) )

Pretty much every Lens made by Leica is still a good lens.  I would leave the decision and desire to upgrade to the buyer, not to Peter K.  There are many reasons why one would want to upgrade, none need to be particularly sensible.

For me, I passed on getting the FLE and got the VC Nokton 1.2 instead, however the integrated hood, the .4 focus point and the 11 blade upgrade is enough to make me buy one of the new ones.  I love the Nokton, on the other hand it has opened my appetite for a fast (er) Leica 35. ( I have the summicron asph)

if I’m at the store and they have both the new and old FLE I would take the new.

On top of everything else it’s about $500 cheaper than the old here in the US

Edited by S Maclean

20 hours ago, Jeremy Bunting said:

Please put a UV filter on that lens and leave the caps at home. You're making me/us nervous. 

(edit: just saw your post above about filters)

Edited by charlesphoto99