6-bit Code for 135mm f/4 Tele-Elmar-M Ver II

Crafty Pilbow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there a 6-bit code for a 135mm Tele-Elmar-M f/4 Ver. II lens?  Thank you.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

No.

However, since that version does have the skinny modern 1mm mounting-flange base, I believe Leica will (or would, at one point in the past) mount a flange coded for the newer 135 APO-Telyt, upon request. You could see if they will still do that - it has no downside except the partially-incorrect lens name in the EXIF data.

Leica didn't even get around to coding the APO-Telyt itself for several years - an "oversight" for which they apologized. Probably because the first camera that used 6-bit coding (the cropped M8 digital) did not even provide 135mm (effectively 180mm) framelines. Leica simply thought a 135 cropped as a 180 on the M8 would not be a good idea (tiny framing box, insufficient rangefinder precision unless stopped down a lot). Although lots of us used a 135 on the M8 anyway. ;)

More modern M digitals do list the 135mm Tele-Elmar in the lens selection menu. And since the M10 in 2017, the camera firmware allows for one "freebie" uncoded lens to behave as though it was coded - IF it is the only uncoded lens in one's collection.

The lens choice selected in the menu is "sticky," and will remain permanently in effect until the user changes it - while seamlessly and automatically sensing coded lenses when they are mounted. So if the 135 is your only uncoded lens, it will trigger the manual selection, while all your other lenses will revert to being correctly recognized by their own actual coding. No need to menu-dive when swapping lenses.

I used a 135 TE on the M10 for 5 years that way. Now I have a factory-coded APO-Telyt, and my "freebie lens" is my uncodable 35mm pre-ASPH Summilux. ;)

Edited by adan
  • Like 3