Big price drop - Q3 imminent?

paul chiu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just noticed a big price drop on a new Leica Q2 on Amazon. Not by a third party. 
4907 or -18% off list

Is this a typo or is the Q3 imminent?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

31 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

Maybe it's just because there's no Leica USA warranty.

I'd really want to find this out.  None of the Leica Boutique dealers are offering this price.  I know that a year ago my son purchased an iMac from Amazon...it came with an Amazon warranty...but it was not an Apple warranty.  Thankfully we never needed warranty work to find out how good their warranty was.

Even if there is a Q3 on the horizon it is far enough away that people aren't needing to clear them out...they can barely supply their orders  now.

As well I am a manager for a Leica dealer in Canada...we have heard nothing about a Q3 coming soon.

Edited by bobtodrick
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

I'd really want to find this out.  None of the Leica Boutique dealers are offering this price.  I know that a year ago my son purchased an iMac from Amazon...it came with an Amazon warranty...but it was not an Apple warranty.  Thankfully we never needed warranty work to find out how good their warranty was.

Even if there is a Q3 on the horizon it is far enough away that people aren't needing to clear them out...they can barely supply their orders  now.

As well I am a manager for a Leica dealer in Canada...we have heard nothing about a Q3 coming soon.

I guess it would still have the international warranty through Wetzlar but need to be shipped to Germany for repairs.  Personally it wouldn't interest me at even at this price because I can buy the same thing in Asia for $4350 US.

14 hours ago, William Cook said:

I saw those prices on Amazon as well and it excited me at first. When I realized it was for ‘grey market’ goods, I decided to purchase from my old stand by, B&H photo video. 

Oh, dr kaufmann would not be happy with that…

On 9/17/2022 at 8:36 AM, SirBlunder said:

Ha, this ships from Amazon but is sold by a... George Baker from a Chinese address. I'd stay away...

George Baker in China?  Great guy!  I bought a Bolex Submariner from him  a while back. 

It runs like a charm but sometimes oil and metal shavings leak out around the crown when I'm setting the time.  I emailed George about this and he said not to worry, Bolexes are supposed to do that.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 5

On 9/14/2022 at 5:48 PM, paul chiu said:

Just noticed a big price drop on a new Leica Q2 on Amazon. Not by a third party. 
4907 or -18% off list

Is this a typo or is the Q3 imminent?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This price is not good enough. I can get from many very reputable HK source for about $4000. 
Go to Leica official registration site, immediately after receive it, if you can register it, there is nothing to worry about.

B&H is my number 1 photo supplier, but not for brand new Leica or Hasselblad. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 4:16 PM, Einst_Stein said:

This price is not good enough. I can get from many very reputable HK source for about $4000. 
Go to Leica official registration site, immediately after receive it, if you can register it, there is nothing to worry about.

B&H is my number 1 photo supplier, but not for brand new Leica or Hasselblad. 

Not concerned about lack of warranty buying gray market? 

3 hours ago, SirBlunder said:

Not concerned about lack of warranty buying gray market? 

Same warranty. 
I called Leica at New Jersey before the first buying from HK, I asked several questions, in summary:

1: To Check authentication : register the serial number ASAP get it, if successfully register, you are fine.

2: Quality and binning: Leica does not have market segmented quality grades, There is only one grade across the world. 
    I have heard from some vendors that the lower price offering indicates it is from the lower grade bin, such as Africa or SE Asia.
    Leica New Jersey confirmed it is nonsense, quote: ” Leica does not produce enough quantity for that practice”

However, not sure if the same comment can apply to other brands, such as Sony, Nikon, Canon.

I did hear that these brands might have the discriminated binning, but Ihave not checked yet,

It mightl be just as nonsense as the comment on Leica.

3: About US warranty vs international warranty. I had my Leica serviced by Leica at New Jersey. I also had US purchased Leica that needed ship to Germany. I have no experiences on any service differences due to the purchasing location yet.

4: about the tax at custom:  regardless carrying in person or shipping through mail, the tax rate is negligible, practically none.

BUT:

The big problem buying. fromHK is, most of them would not ship to US, even I requested to pay extra to cover the S&H troubles,

I have to ask friends to buy then ship to me.