Lesson Learned

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A few years ago I purchased a small, lightweight carbon fiber tripod for trips because it is easy to pack and carry. Today I was biking in the countryside and heard a stream in the woods near the trail I was on. I stopped and went into the woods a found a beautiful little stream with nice light filtering through the trees. I did my best to prop up against a tree to stabilize my camera, but for long exposures it wasn't good enough. Next time, I'm carrying the tripod.

M10R/90 APO Skopar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Hello Brent,

Nice photo.

In the future you might consider a small, solid, table tripod. With soft, non-marking slippers. And a large ball head. & a cable release.

Against my chest it gives me +2 stops of added hand held stability.

Against a wall (Soft, non-marking slippers.), inside a door frame. Or, against the underside of the top of a door way. Against a rock or a TREE. On a car with the engine turned OFF. And, even on the top of a table:

A small, solid, table tripod. With a large ball head. And a cable release: Gives a person more stability at 1 second than handheld at 1/125 second does.   

Instead of f2 at 1/125 second a person can have f22 at 1 second. With as much stability as they want.

And sometimes the cable release by itself, used with the camera/lens, can add stability in some situations.

The more you use these in different situations: The more different ways you discover to use them.

Easy to carry assembled & it comes apart & packs away in very little space.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has been my approach ....

Michael and Doc Moore--thanks very much for your suggestions. In this instance I was off trail and on very uneven, soft and sloped terrain. I have a cable release stashed in the same sling pouch that the tripod is in and always use it when I use the tripod. The problem today was not so much that I didn't know what to do, but rather just being too lazy to take and use the little tripod I bought for just these situations. 

Doc, I do like your setup for carrying your monopod. (I also like Surly bikes. I ride a Co-Motion) It's have drop handlebars so that exact thing wouldn't work for me but I probably could attach mine to my frame if I can figure out how to avoid the brake cables.

I actually might go back tomorrow properly equipped and do a reshoot, depending on whether my legs recover. Right now they're pretty tired.

Cheers, Brent

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Brent,

If I could find a buyer for my Pegoretti .... I would buy a Co-Mo Divide with a Rohloff in a heartbeat ... really love their bikes.

Kind of like Surly on steroids ... better build and great paint choices.

I wonder if a sling bag with the straps for a small mono / tripod would work for you ....

https://www.wandrd.com/products/roam-9l-sling?variant=39446582722640

https://www.wotancraft.tw/creations/rider-series

I have had Wotancraft and now use the Wandrd 9 ... both are very stable walking, running, riding and scrambling.

On 9/14/2022 at 5:32 PM, fotografr said:

A few years ago I purchased a small, lightweight carbon fiber tripod for trips because it is easy to pack and carry. Today I was biking in the countryside and heard a stream in the woods near the trail I was on. I stopped and went into the woods a found a beautiful little stream with nice light filtering through the trees. I did my best to prop up against a tree to stabilize my camera, but for long exposures it wasn't good enough. Next time, I'm carrying the tripod.

M10R/90 APO Skopar

Your revisit the next day to the stream produced very nice images indeed, but I really liked this one when I first opened it. Could have fooled me, this looks intentional and well done!

46 minutes ago, war said:

Your revisit the next day to the stream produced very nice images indeed, but I really liked this one when I first opened it. Could have fooled me, this looks intentional and well done!

Thank you, Wally. If I'd had my tripod I think I would have preferred this shot, too. What I got was definitely what I intended except for the lack of sharpness. Part of it was wind but part was my movement. I used a much longer shutter speed for the re-shoot and in retrospect I wish I'd stayed with 1 second so as to not get the extreme blur in the water. 

Maybe I need to do a third trip. 😉

Edited by fotografr
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, docmoore said:

Brent,

If I could find a buyer for my Pegoretti .... I would buy a Co-Mo Divide with a Rohloff in a heartbeat ... really love their bikes.

Kind of like Surly on steroids ... better build and great paint choices.

I wonder if a sling bag with the straps for a small mono / tripod would work for you ....

https://www.wandrd.com/products/roam-9l-sling?variant=39446582722640

https://www.wotancraft.tw/creations/rider-series

I have had Wotancraft and now use the Wandrd 9 ... both are very stable walking, running, riding and scrambling.

Thank you very much for introducing me to both lines of bags. I think I'll look very seriously at the Wandrd line as there are some that look perfect for my needs. I'm currently using a Lowe Pro belt bag for my riding and it comfortably holds one M camera with lens attached and two additional lenses. The problem I have with it is that fully loaded it's so heavy I have to cinch it very tightly around my waist to keep it from slipping downward. I use a sling bag for my tripod, which is very light. Your links are much appreciated.

Your Pegoretti is a fine bike! I'd say it's pretty much on par with my CoMotion. Both are very well built steel frame bikes.

Cheers!

Edited by fotografr

I think you will like getting the belt off and using one bag. I used a TT Speed Freak for a long long time but it was not the most

comfortable on the bike.

The Peg is wonderful but has carbon wheels and would be a disaster off anything paved. Weighs half the Surly and I can

accelerate uphill into a moderate wind so it is a blast. Love to have a skinnier gravel type however.