Any update on auto-geotagging for the M11?

cbgrey

According to the leica manual, it is available after Firmware Update during second half of 2022.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

pm-64221-Leica_M11_technical_data_EN_1.pdf

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing how the geotagging feature will work but for now, I use PhotoLinker (Mac). Whenever I'm out in the hills etc my Apple Watch is always recording the activity so the GPX file is just loaded into the app along with the photos to create the GPS location for C1. Sidecar files for Raw or embedded with tiff & jpg.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don’t see why they didn’t implement the M10 feature in the EVF (Leica Visoflex 020). 
Personally, I’d like a small module, like the Visoflex 020 bottom section, the one attached to the hot shoe, to provide gps data.  I don’t want to use my phone it drains the battery too much.

Since upgrading my SL to the SL2, I really miss the GPS tagging built-in to the SL because I do a lot of travel and street photography.

Like everyone else, I am anxiously awaiting the M11 bluetooth connecting to my phone for GPS tagging. When I used the Visoflex 020 on my previous M10 and M10-R bodies, the GPS info was imbedded into the DNG files. The only problem with this is that I hardly used the Visoflex because it slowed down the operation of the camera and drained the battery faster. Leica ditched the GPS function in the new Visoflex 2 in hopes that the BT connection would do the job. 

My less-than-ideal workaround for now is to snap a shot with my iPhone every so often. When I get home, I use Photo Mechanic 6 Plus to copy the GPS information from my iPhone images to M11 DNGs shot in the same area. Updating the GPS info along with keywords and star ratings are written into the DNG by Photo Mechanic instead of creating sidecar files. After I ingest the images into Capture One Pro, all of the added metadata shows up.

Automatic geo tagging will be great. Hurry up Leica!

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

There are a few apps (iPhone) but I just use my Strava account. I treat it as my library of all routes I've either walked, hiked or ran and when I come to process an image just search the date and download the gps track for that activity. 

The app I use for hiking / walking is WorkOutDoors... that allows you to export the gps file directly from the app to "Files" on your phone or, export it to your laptop. If you don't use Strava then something like that is the easiest way. You use the app on the phone to manage the activities and the app on the watch just to start / stop etc.

Edited by IzelPhotography
typo

If I don’t use my iPhone, Visoflex, or a stand alone gps tracker, I use Lightroom, or Photo Mechanic to add the gps coordinates to the photographs. 

Edited by OThomas

5 hours ago, OThomas said:

I don’t see why they didn’t implement the M10 feature in the EVF (Leica Visoflex 020). 
Personally, I’d like a small module, like the Visoflex 020 bottom section, the one attached to the hot shoe, to provide gps data.  I don’t want to use my phone it drains the battery too much.

I do not remember that my tracking app (GPS Tracks) drains the battery much. 

52 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Where do you get the GPS coordinates from?

The map module in Lightroom. You can place your photographs on a map and Lightroom will assign the gps coordinates to the metadata. 

In Photo Mechanic it’s a similar method (video is 11 years old, but it hasn’t changed much since then)

28 minutes ago, OThomas said:

The map module in Lightroom. You can place your photographs on a map and Lightroom will assign the gps coordinates to the metadata. 

In Photo Mechanic it’s a similar method (video is 11 years old, but it hasn’t changed much since then)

I see. You place the GPS coordinates from your memory. 
I found that method unreliable. I use it sometimes for coarse location assignments but often find it too much trouble. Assigning a keyword works better for me in such cases.