Excessive underexposure with strong light sources

yanidel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, yanidel said:

Thank you! I was very frustrated when I saw the banding on the driver, that is why I am trying to understand what happend and if I can correct.

Yes, I am going to live with it. In 95% of cases you can correct exposure previous to taking the picture. But when you can't, you have to leave it up to the camera and things like that happen. 

Well, in my case, the Auto-Iso implementation of the M10 is what most helped my photography vs the M9.  I love the fact that you can set the minimum speed to 1/500th and the reasonable image quality up to 6400.  It let's me focus purely on the action and the framing. I almost exclusivel shoot street photography, things happen very fast. I found out that in average, I take better pictures when I don't fiddle with exposure and concentrate on the street, so the M10 helped me improve. Pure image quality doesn't matter so much in street photography but when I shoot landscape or portrait, I do pay special attention to exposure. 
In the case of the beautiful picture you posted, I guess i would have underexposed by about 2 stops with the M10.

I've been tempted to use the auto iso on my M10M since 6400 is others 800 with that camera. My problem with going too high on the M10 is the dynamic range which can fall apart, more so than the 'grain.' If it works for you then that's all that counts. For me anything auto (except AF on some long lenses) is just another set of hands in the soup that don't need to be there, and are more likely to mess it up than not. Ingrained from shooting for forty six years I guess (from the age of 12). 

Some nice pics on your IG, esp that shadow of kids on blue! 

Leica M10, 135mm APO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

I've been tempted to use the auto iso on my M10M since 6400 is others 800 with that camera. My problem with going too high on the M10 is the dynamic range which can fall apart, more so than the 'grain.' If it works for you then that's all that counts. For me anything auto (except AF on some long lenses) is just another set of hands in the soup that don't need to be there, and are more likely to mess it up than not. Ingrained from shooting for forty six years I guess (from the age of 12). 

Some nice pics on your IG, esp that shadow of kids on blue! 

Leica M10, 135mm APO

In good light conditions, which is basically daily in sunny Argentina,  it is very rare that the Auto-Iso shoots up to the max of the range (6400 in my case). It happens a lot more after sunset, but colors fade away anyways. But you are right, dynamic range decreases also which can impact some types of pictures. But I choose not to care too much about it, because in street photography, it is rarely the color, noise or dynamic range that defines a picture. Banding is the only no go for me, which happened on this picture.

Great picture by the way!!!

My biggest shock in moving from a Nikon SLR to my M10-R is the auto exposure system. I always used matrix metering on my Nikon and never had a problem. The M10-R's center-weighted metering sets the wrong exposure much more frequently in uneven lighting. I work around it by pre-metering to a different part of the scene, using exposure compensation more, and using manual exposure.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Only one problem with that scenario: live view! (imo live view/EVF defeats the entire M's reason of being).  

You don't have to look throught the EVF or at the screen. Just look through the viewfinder and pretend LV doesn't happen.

Edited by pop
typo
  • Like 1

vor 23 Minuten schrieb charlesphoto99:

Only one problem with that scenario: live view! (imo live view/EVF defeats the entire M's reason of being).  

This is just a view. I could not be without Visoflex2. And Leica knows why they offer such an item.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

True, but using longer lenses, 90mm+, it’s irreplaceable for me. Not as young as I used to be and eyesight isn’t as good. 

2 hours ago, M11 for me said:

This is just a view. I could not be without Visoflex2. And Leica knows why they offer such an item.

Unfortunately my only experience is with the M10 and 020 which I find to be a really subpar experience vs the rf, esp if shooting anything moving. I tried the V2 in the store on an M11 - better in terms of blackout time but still like watching a bad mini TV for me. Of course, doing macro with an M it's a must. The raison behind the frame lines in the OVF is so one can avoid tunnel vision and see what's OUTSIDE the frame, and move it into if need be, which can make for a more fluid vision and shooting style than an slr/evf. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rmitchell146 said:

I have a similar problem with my M10R, if I take two identical shots especially in low light, one optical vg the other live view (both centre weighted exp) , the live view is 1.5 stops brighter. Any ideas?

I see the same thing w my 10-r.

It heavily underexposes and shots that I could take w/o much thought w my old m240 and m9 have become a struggle.

I have been experimenting w it taking test shots to see the exposure outcomes, but frankly it is surprising that it really biases the exposure to save highlights, no matter how small they are.

5 hours ago, rmitchell146 said:

I have a similar problem with my M10R, if I take two identical shots especially in low light, one optical vg the other live view (both centre weighted exp) , the live view is 1.5 stops brighter. Any ideas?

Different light meter function?

RF is reflected from the front of the shutter. Remove the lens and you’ll see some white and grey areas which the light bounces off onto the light meter. 

Live view uses the sensor for light metering. Hence the differing meter modes (Spot, Centre weighted and Multi field)  

You’d think they would match, maybe they don’t.  

Edited by OThomas

M9 vs M10 shutter curtain.

I’ll leave those of you knowledgeable about such things to comment on the impact of the differences

FWIW…. I’ve managed to make a bunch of photos with the M9/240/10 where there was a strong backlight and it was underexposed!!!!!! (Because I wasn’t paying attention or because I’d rather try to recover shadows than highlights)

The only foible I find between the 9 and the 10 is that with the latter set to ISO 200 and the former set to 160, they more often than not ask for the same shutter speed…

IMO it would be redundant to replace the ISO dial with an EV wheel as the M10 (and 9/240/11) has an EV wheel already

IMHO some folks can work super fast all manual, others work fast pointing the camera at what they want to meter from, others work fast using the EV overwrite the camera’s choices… all the roads lead to Rome!

13 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

I’ll leave those of you knowledgeable about such things to comment on the impact of the differences

Main difference seems to be the M9 and M10 shutters travel in opposite directions (one top to bottom, the other bottom to top) - probably as a result of Leica's moving internal parts around to squeeze down the thickness of the M10 body (while also adding a larger battery). I expect Leica simply flipped the shutter module, to move the drive/control unit on the side from left to right (or vice versa).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265466864661

That alone would not change the metering much  - it is still a lens on the meter cell in the bottom of the chamber "looking up at" the middle of three gray bars in the middle of the image area.

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:41 PM, yanidel said:

in Auto Iso mode.

I hardly work with Auto ISO. It’s quite unpredictable and/or I don’t understand how it reads the scene. And it mostly turns a dark scene in a scene that is fully lit, which was not the case in reality.
I strongly agree though with what’s said before that the image is very good like this, very nice balance between highlights and shadows, drama, it’s just perfect. That you pp-ed it is all in the game with a digital M, no? I see a little banding, okay. Not so strange if you shoot right into the sun with auto-everything. If you strive for details in highlights and shadows here, you would just smooth out the drama of this scene. 

BTW, the M10 and the M10-R are both involved in this discussion, but the M10-R has a much better handling of and capacity of recovering highlights than the M10, which means a lot for what you can achieve in pp and also for how you expose. Totally different from an M9 as well.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, otto.f said:

I hardly work with Auto ISO. It’s quite unpredictable and/or I don’t understand how it reads the scene. And it mostly turns a dark scene in a scene that is fully lit, which was not the case in reality.

This nails it on the head why it's so important to have a passing knowledge of the zone system, and how it relates to the camera you're shooting and the scene you're trying to portray. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 3:40 AM, Huss said:

I have been experimenting w it taking test shots to see the exposure outcomes, but frankly it is surprising that it really biases the exposure to save highlights, no matter how small they are.

Isn't this what we want?  Blown highlights are gone forever, but the shadows can be recovered.

Went back shooting last week and same situation happened.  The sun wasn't close to centered but still it resulted in extreme underexposure. 

Yet this time I had time to lock exposure away from the sun.  

The highlights were burnt obviously but that was the trade-off to have a correctly exposed picture.  My conclusion is that it is the way the M10 works, unlike the M9. One has to be extremely cautious when a strong light source is present (sun but also car headlights) in any place of the picture, just not the center. 

Not ideal for street photography since you don't always have the time to adjust exposure setting, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Edited by yanidel
  • Thanks 1