50mm lens help

Hrv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I’m looking for some help / recommendations for a 50mm lens to pair with an M6 (my first Leica film camera). 

I’m looking at either the Voigtlander. 50mm f1.2 nokton or the f2 apo-lanthar. 

I’m mainly looking to shoot landscapes and travel, etc and was wondering if the (apparent) sharpness of the apo would be best to pair with film, rather than the nokton. 

Many thanks for any assistance. 

Harv

Harv, welcome to the forum. While I am afraid I cannot help you with your specific question, I would urge you to consider a contemporary Leica 50 mm lens to work with your classic Leica body. It could be the modest Elmarit, a great little performer, or better still, one of the earlier Summicron lenses. By so doing, you will be reproducing and experiencing the character of the combination, which no modern lens can realistically emulate. I guess your mind is already set on a solution. However, think on the possibility of adding such a lens in due course.

• Like 3

I agree with wda, my M2 is usually paired with a 35, 50 or 90 mm all from the 1950 - 1960 era and that gives me results very much to my liking.

I have used a Voigt Nokton 35/1.2 II on it but somehow it makes the camera front heavy and losing some of it's magic. I think the same might happen with the two 50 mm Voigt's you mention. If you want to use a modern lens maybe the Voigt 50/1.5 II might be better in that respect. Otherwise look at a Summicron 50/2 v1 or an Elmar 50/2.8, both work very nicely on film.

This might be a useful article for choosing the right lens, allthough it doesn't consider older lenses and is focussed on digital rather than film.

• Like 1

Either of the Voigtlander lenses would be a fine choice. I’ve used Leica M cameras for over 50 years, of course with Summicrons for most of those. Now I find the Voigtlander to be equal for my use, but one of my main criteria is also compact size. 
I think the balance of the M6 is best with a Summicron or Summarit, and I usually use a version 3 Summicron from 1969 on mine. While I have many newer “fast” lenses I prefer the smaller f2. (Except for 35 where I retired my 1969 Summicron for a Nokton 35 1.4, as it’s used more indoors dim light.)

I have a 1957 M3 I use a 35 Summilux or a 35 Zeiss f2.8 mostly with the camera (it has an M4 viewfinder). For a 50 I have the Summicron V1 collapsible, this is a very nice lens, sharp but not contrasty, great for film. Version 2 Summicrons are also nice, the dual range being one of Leica's best 50s. Zeiss 50s have an excellent reputation, the Zeiss 50 f1.5 Sonnar is an old lens design, with that sort of vibe on film, the f2 Planar a more modern lens. Good luck hunting, earlier Leica 50s can be found for decent prices.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also use a 50mm for travel and landscape and wanted a small-ish size. I was very close to getting the Nokton 50/1.5 but at the last minute changed my mind and got the latest Summicron just because I wanted the entire Leica experience. I am sure the Nokton would produce pictures of equal quality - in my case the limit is the photographer not the kit. 

21 minutes ago, Hrv said:

Hi all,

Thank you for all your kind assistance; there’s certainly food for thought. On reflection, I think I’ll try and source a Leica 50mm contemporary with the M6 and keep the true Leica experience. 

Thanks again,

Harv

Good choice, although I wouldn't worry about a 'contemporary' lens if you find a nice example of say an earlier Summicron, an Elmar or Elmarit, or a more recent Summarit. All would be fine choices.