Issues - Troubleshooting Advice Regarding the APO-SUMMICRON-M 90 f/2 ASPH

tedwill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello.  I own the APO-SUMMICRON-M 90 f/2 ASPH (11884) and it has worked very well for the two years I owned it.  Over the weekend, I discovered that it no longer focused properly on long distance shots at 2.0, 2.8, 4.0, 5.6 with short distance and long distance shots.

I own the M11.  I have been shooting with it since March.   Prior to that, I used this lens with my M10R and the SL2.  On the M11, I have tried different settings.  My hunch is that a recent update may be the issue.  The lens works fine with the SL2 with the Leica adapter.  

On the M11, I have removed the settings for the lens.  I have tried automatic lens detection, manual detection.  Nothing seems to work at any f stop with getting a decent focus at 25 feet or more.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks!

-Ted

The M focussing is mechanical, I too shoot with this lens and have no issues.

Try putting the camera on a tripod and using live view, focus on an easy subject, then look through the viewfinder, are the focus patches precisely lined up? If not, leave the camera in place and you need to select another lens, if the patches line up and live view is in focus its the lens, if they are both off on the mechanical focussing, its the camera

24 minutes ago, douglas fry said:

Try putting the camera on a tripod and using live view, focus on an easy subject, then look through the viewfinder, are the focus patches precisely lined up? If not, leave the camera in place and you need to select another lens, if the patches line up and live view is in focus its the lens, if they are both off on the mechanical focussing, its the camera

Thanks!  I'm going to do that next.  All my other M lenses - the 35 Summilux ASPH, 50 Summulix and 21 Super Elmar are tack sharp without any issues on the M11.  I was hoping that something had changed in the software with the latest M11 update.  I July I was in San Diego and the 90 performed without any issues.

35 minutes ago, tedwill said:

Thanks!  I'm going to do that next.  All my other M lenses - the 35 Summilux ASPH, 50 Summulix and 21 Super Elmar are tack sharp without any issues on the M11.  I was hoping that something had changed in the software with the latest M11 update.  I July I was in San Diego and the 90 performed without any issues.

1 hour ago, douglas fry said:

OK. I was able to test it out. As it turns out I was wrong about the SL2. On the tripod, the 90 performed equally bad on both the M 11 and the SL2. It is if while I'm focusing on infinity I need to move it a little bit more to the left and I cannot. That happens in live view or with a viewfinder on both cameras.   I focused on a tree which was 30 meters away.  My 50mm Summilux, also at f2, focused pin sharp on both cameras while mounted on a tripod.  

I've seen a few threads hear about this lens being calibrated for digital since it was developed in 1998. I don't know if that is still the case, especially with the newer M10 and M11 bodies 

I will most likely send in this lens for a CLA or attempt to adjust it myself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I sent the lens in to Leica USA in New Jersey.  I just signed the work order to repair.  It's just over $300 (USD).

I asked the technician what happened and he said he didn't know, it just needed front focusing adjustment.  The problem came up very quickly.  It worked great on a recent trip.  Then suddenly, it didn't.  The lens, when not being used always has the caps on and is kept in a padded compartment of my bag.  When it's mounted on my M11 or SL2, the cameras are always gently handled.

I'm curious how front focus get out of alignment so I can avoid this in the future.

Thanks,

-Ted