M11, M10M or (SL2-S) - As a souvenir

Tylerman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello guys,

I’m looking for a feedback / advice from you guys. Sadly my dad passed away sometime ago and he gave me some money.

I really enjoyed Photography as you should know if I’m here 🙂 and I already own a Q2. I was looking for awhile for an upgrade… a friend of it 😀

When my father was younger, he loved the photography aspect but he was not able to kept the pace following the cost of using films stuff and so on.

To make it short, I’m looking to invest in a body that I will use and keep on his memory. People à maybe thinking I’m silly but, I’m thinking that he will be with me all the time when I’ll take family, vacations pictures, when I’m doing my passion

Following this, I was thinking about the M11 but that will be my first M body and all those alignement and so on stories make me nervous and this is why the SL2-S (with M lenses) came on the table. I’m not really use of the OVF either and I really love the Q2 EVF. I spoke about this with my friend and he brought the idea of getting a M10-Mono instead as a iconic camera… but I’m debating myself around this 

So, if you have any inputs, ideas, thoughts, feel free to share with me I will appreciate it for sure.

Thanks !

note : I’m using Q2 95% in manual and I love the EVF 

I can relate with your sentiment .

my background with Leica is M3 M6 M4, M10-P, M10-R, M10M, SL2, M11 and Q2

I would suggest you keep it simple and take the camera everywhere.

My suggestion is the M11, it is a much refined camera, portable, and powerful . I think there are many benefits on the M11 over the other M cameras .
I can tell you that the alignment is lots of noise and maybe very few % need it. in the case of need it is an easy fix. I never had to calibrate the rangefinder in my list of cameras, and I like to shoot at 0.95 and 1.4 most of the time.

M11 is a camera that if you never used can have a little bit of learning curve, but it is very rewarding.
I can see to issues with the M11, you can't just give the camera to someone and aspect to take a photo of you, most likely it will a focusing challenge for most unless they use the screen. 
The other issue is that at parties you may hold a glass and you need two hands to operate the camera.

Lens suggestions are 28mm 35, and 50.

The SL2 is a great camera and I use 2 professionally all the time. For passionate use I think it is too big, too heavy when you add some lenses, batteries , charges.....

I would keep the Q2 for some occasions.

Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

If you already use the Q2  most of the time in manual, I think an M will be even more enjoyable. 

Rangefinder alignment issues being annoying, I don't feel are that big of an issue. It's easy to adjust yourself and not as daunting of a task as it may seem and I think it's good to be self sufficient with things like that when possible.

Edited by dsm21
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

The SL2 or SL2S are both great cameras, but not a forever camera.

😱

🤔

B)

@TylermanI would say ALL IN... Go for an M10M. This camera will still be unique and good in ten years. A pure reference, one of the last of its kind, with a base plate.
As expected, I'm sure it will already be better on the M11M. But hey, the 25,000 iso on the M10M today looks like the M10 at 2,500/3,200.
If you want to risk less (because of the monochrome), an M10P or R would be just fantastic. But goes for an M. Even film... But I suggest any of the M10 types.
As a pro, I "still" have and often use my M10 since 2018. It never disappointed me.
I would not be buying an EVF, despite you like it so much on your Q2
My two cents.

• Like 4

Seems like you probably going down the M11 route, it is a solid camera when it works, and probably out of other leica options, the M11 that would stay with you longer, that being said there’s a learning curve to master it

And in my experience, the learning curve wont be as steep as a medium format hasselblad 500series and that you’d enjoy your M

• Like 2

Hello guys,

I do really appreciate all your reply’s, this confirms some of my feelings and way to see it.

Ill try to understand how to fix this adjustment issue when it will come. 
As it was writing from some of you, I’ll keep my Q2 for other situations, as a easy fix.

I won’t be able to buy 3 Leica le s to start so maybe I’ll focus on a 35 or a 50… Q2 is already giving me the 28 for now.

Again, I do really appreciate all your answers and thanks for your time.

My grandfather was the chief photographer at the major newspaper of the city we lived in for ~30+ years.  He took photos of some landmark historical events in the area.  He and I did not have the best relationship when I was a teenager, and this is significant, as I was living with him up until my grandmother passed away, and he swiftly kicked me out.  He passed away prior to my interest in photography "sparking off", so I really didn't get anything from him as far as education or experience in photography prior to his passing.  I truly regret that I didn't talk to him about his photography and show interest in it until after his passing.  It would have been beneficial to me, and it could have potentially helped our relationship.

Fast forward to ~3 years ago.  I've been shooting digital cameras from multiple brands and with multiple systems for ~20 years.  I bought a Q2 back in 2019 and that was my first Leica.  I was considering switching out my large Sony kit for a Leica (SL2 or SL2-S) recently.  Around this time, I found out my grandfather had Leica cameras as secondary cameras to his professional kit provided by the newspaper.  So, this was a bit of a motivator for me to go ahead and make the jump.  I tried the SL2-S, but ended up returning it.  Then I bought an M11 and immediately started selling off my Sony kit.  I absolutely love this camera, and the experience it brings.  I've now sold even the Q2 to fund more M lenses (I have 4 already) and could not be happier with the system and my choice to make the switch.  The M system cameras are the kind you can and may keep for life.  At least the lenses, if you upgrade the camera.  It's a fantastic system, and a unique experience to every other manufacturer's cameras.  The hand-made craftsmanship, the exquisite build quality of the cameras, the history behind the company and the M system, and the quality of the images it produces.  ESPECIALLY the M11.  Nothing short of incredible.

I've attached an image of my grandfather from the early 50s when he was overseas, with one of his Leica cameras.  I'm even considering getting one of this Leica model (I believe it's the IIIa) just to have on the shelf.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, T25UFO said:

For the reason you are buying this camera, it has to be the M.  Maybe get a film camera, it will last forever, enjoy the experience of using it and every time remember your father.

And less concern about RF adjustment; more forgiving than digital.  

Either way, I encourage the OP to make prints, if not already part of the workflow.  This is how the memories can best be preserved.  The gear comes and goes.

Jeff

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tylerman said:

Hello guys,

I do really appreciate all your reply’s, this confirms some of my feelings and way to see it.

Ill try to understand how to fix this adjustment issue when it will come. 
As it was writing from some of you, I’ll keep my Q2 for other situations, as a easy fix.

I won’t be able to buy 3 Leica le s to start so maybe I’ll focus on a 35 or a 50… Q2 is already giving me the 28 for now.

Again, I do really appreciate all your answers and thanks for your time.

The M is for the long haul - you don't have to buy a bag full of lenses from day one.  If you can find a 35mm APO just buy that, it's really all you need.

If you're used to cropping with the Q2, the M11 or M10R will give you even better results when using the 35mm APO.  It even makes a decent 'head & shoulders' portrait lens.  This was taken with the APO and cropped to about 70mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I'd be wary of ascribing too much personal attachment to a brand new camera, esp ones that you haven't ever used (a Q2/M/SL are all very different shooting/handling experiences - some never get on with the rf experience whereas for others it's the only way; similar with EVF). Perhaps a used M3 to honor his memory, a beautiful object that even if just left on the shelf will always bring joy, and no guilt or shame if it stays on the shelf because you don't enjoy using it or wanting to upgrade/move on as one might do with a modern camera and lenses. Just a thought, and sorry for your loss. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jakontil said:

M10-D or the M10-r black paint look beautiful 

13 hours ago, chuhsi1 said:

I agree.  Get any recent black paint camera to make it special. 

Why more the M10-D or M10-r over the M11 ? 

I thought the M11 was a step ahead here !

Thanks all for the feedback, that will be in the M series but I'm juggling between which one. I would love to get a B&W one but I'll still love to take great picture of my kids and family in the next years ... maybe this is something I'll check when I'll get older ;) ... as a piece of cake.

25 minutes ago, Tylerman said:

Why more the M10-D or M10-r over the M11 ? 

I thought the M11 was a step ahead here !

Thanks all for the feedback, that will be in the M series but I'm juggling between which one. I would love to get a B&W one but I'll still love to take great picture of my kids and family in the next years ... maybe this is something I'll check when I'll get older ;) ... as a piece of cake.

M10-D and the black paint m10r was in a limited run of production, so i thought it was something for a keeper than just a camera you want to use

a M film camera will probably last even longer