SL2 and Profiles

Ranger Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New user, had set up some preliminary profiles.  Inspired by latest reddotcamera youtube show on menus, I wanted to make some changes to existing profiles (using FW5.0). I have performed these types of changes on other systems, am confused as to whether it can be done, and, if so, how.

1.  It seems that every time you turn on the camera, you must change the Profile from Default.  There seems to be no way I can find to have it start up in either "last used" or a different "default" custom profile (such as Tripod).  I find this annoying.  Am I missing something?

2. There seems to be no way to modify and existing profile and have it updated to the modified version.  Looks like you make a change (from, say MF to AF), and you must save it as a new profile, so you wind up with the original profile plus a second modified profile?  Again, am I missing something?

Thanks,  Rick

Have you updated the firmware since setting up the profiles? That is what has caused my SL and Sl2-S to forget the selected profile when switched off. I think it is something to do with how the new firmware changes the way certain parameters work which don't fit with how those parameters were set in the profile. If you think that might be the case, then you'll have to check you have your camera set up as you want it for a particular profile, then save it again. Tedious, but it worked for me, then it remembered what profile I had selected.

For your second problem, are you sure you're updating your profiles correctly? Sorry if you know this already, but when you go to the user profiles menu, you have to scroll to the next page to find the 'Manage Profiles' item: click on that, then save the profile, overwriting the previous one. It's easy to overlook Manage Profiles if you're not aware it's there. Poor menu design by Leica (no submenu should scroll beyond one page).

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2022 at 7:52 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

Have you updated the firmware since setting up the profiles? That is what has caused my SL and Sl2-S to forget the selected profile when switched off. I think it is something to do with how the new firmware changes the way certain parameters work which don't fit with how those parameters were set in the profile. If you think that might be the case, then you'll have to check you have your camera set up as you want it for a particular profile, then save it again. Tedious, but it worked for me, then it remembered what profile I had selected.

For your second problem, are you sure you're updating your profiles correctly? Sorry if you know this already, but when you go to the user profiles menu, you have to scroll to the next page to find the 'Manage Profiles' item: click on that, then save the profile, overwriting the previous one. It's easy to overlook Manage Profiles if you're not aware it's there. Poor menu design by Leica (no submenu should scroll beyond one page).

This is extremely useful information. As a new SL2-S owner, who has just updated the firmware to 4.0, the camera stopped turning on to the profile in use when it was switched off, and this topic confirms both my suspicions and the remedial action needed.

• 4 weeks later...

I am still somewhat puzzled by the User Profiles in Photo, and especially the way they are displayed. I happy with how to set up and store them, but this I find puzzling. A bit hard to explain, but here goes.

• I have a Profile set up, e.g. Aperture, AFs, Vivid, plus my selection of Capture Assistants, and this is Profile #1 (PF1).
  • I go to the Status Screen, and select PF1 from the used ones. Immediately after selecting, the icon has changed to the profile icon with "1" on it.
  • I then press the shutter button, and the the screen goes to shooting screen.
  • I then press Menu and return to the Status Screen. Here I would expect to see the Profile icon with "1" on it, but it is the plain, unnumbered icon.
  • However, the settings are those for the PF1 profile I set up.

Question:- why, if I choose a numbered profile, does the Status Screen not always show the numbered icon?

It then gets a bit more complicated.

• When I go to User Profiles in the main menus, and, as an experiment, go to Manage>Save, it lists my Profile slots as Used (which they are).
  • However, although the Photo settings are those for my PF1 profile, the PF1 profile in the list has nothing against it i.e. it is NOT shown as ACTIVE
  • If I then go to another profile (given they are all USED) and select, for example, my ManBW profile (all manual and B&W settings, Profile 6), then return to the shooting screen, I find that my ManBW settings are applied, but the Profile icon is again plain unnumbered (as per my last point above).
  • If I then return to the main menu Profiles, I see nothing to say or indicate that my ManBW is the "Active" one, although I am using all its settings.

THE ANSWER?

In the course of trying to explain this, I had another look at the settings and profiles behaviour on my CL, which behaves exactly as expected, and is why the SL2-S behaviour was puzzling me. In fact, I had considered buying a secondhand SL, were it not for the CL-SL2-S Status Screens being identical, and the change in the CL when the Status Screen was introduced in its last firmware update made it an even better camera.

I have a couple of L-mount Leica APS-C lenses, which I bought for my CL, and the rest of them are Sigma L-mounts, Leica M and old M42/39. The SL2-S wasn't showing the profiles correctly when a Sigma lens (full-frame) was mounted. The CL shows the active Profile icon correctly on its Status Screen, and "Active" in the User Profile menu, irrespective of whether the lens is a Leica or Sigma model, but only if either make is an APS-C lens. It will not show correctly with a full-frame lens, although the only ones I have to test are Sigma.

If I put one of my Leica APS-C lenses on the SL2-S, it immediately shows the correct numbered icon for the profile in use, and the Profiles menu shows it as ACTIVE. The conclusion therefore is that the SL2-S, firmware 4.0, only shows the Profile icons and information correctly if a Leica or Sigma APS-C lens is mounted, and not if another non-Leica L-mount is in use.

To summarise (it's all in the lenses):-

Profile info in Status Screen and User profiles menu item is correct:-

On SL2-S - with Leica APS-C lens and Sigma APS-C (DC) lenses but NOT with Sigma full-frame lens

ON CL - with Leica and Sigma APS-C lenses, but not Sigma FF lenses  i.e. the same constraints as the SL2-S

I'm presuming that Leica L-mounts in FF will work just fine on either camera model.

I can't see anywhere any settings in the cameras which could alter or rectify this, but if my conclusions are correct, it's not helpful that non-Leica FF lenses disallow the correct display of User Profile information.

I haven't pursued this line of enquiry with "manual" M mount lenses on the M-L adapter and other adapters, but will do so, in due course.

Edited by Foxfan100

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you foxfan for the exact observation and description of the problem. I was pretty annoyed by this behaviour and it also made made a recent photo shoot at a wedding quite difficult.

yesterday I sent an email to Leica service department asking for a fix of the problem - at least to the level as described in the manual.

Additionally I think the function deserves a bette4 implementation, i.e. clearer visualisation and simpler setting - I even vote for setting this in the external app and the transfer it to the camera.

Regards

Wolfgang - SL2-S user

Edited by Macsportler-2

On 11/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, Photoworks said:

It used to work, it is just a bug.

But the setting are all still applied it just not displaying the correct icon

I'm afraid that I've only had this camera for a short while, and although I updated it to 4.0 firmware, I hadn't noticed whether it worked as expected in the previous firmware release.

I mentioned that I'd see what happens with purely manual lenses, and today, I'm using a TTArtisans 28mm M-mount lens on my SL2-S, which is attached using a 7Artisans M-L adapter, so my in-use profile is my all-manual setup, Profile 3. When selected, this shows correctly in the Status Screen, and when the camera is turned off, and then on again, appears as "3" in the Status Screen, with the entry in the User Profiles menu marked "Active".

This shows that the Profile in use display works as it should with manual lenses.

It therefore seems to be some sort of bug, whereby full-frame "connected" lenses, with the electronic lens-to-camera connections in use for all functions (autofocus, aperture etc.), somehow prevent or disallow the correct display of the User Profile in use; although, as you have noted, the settings for the selected profile are applied and used, but just not correctly shown in Status and the relevant menu.

This is happening with my Sigma full-frame lenses, but I don't have any Leica SL L-mount full-frames, and therefore cannot say whether the same applies or not.