Does Leica Q2 have Perspective correction?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge about this topic, but I have to ask to understand: what is the difference from this software correction to shooting straight/horizontal from the start? Does the software do something else to the image (fill the cropped part)? I'm interested in this topic because I have a TS-E for my Canon and like to shoot with it (on a tripod). If the Q could do it handheld, that would be nice.  

It has just been added in the latest firmware release for the SL2 and SL2-S, around 18 months after it first appeared for the M10-P/R/Mono. So maybe it will make its way into the Q's at some point.

@QwertynmIt is quite a useful feature. There is a camera option to turn it on and off, and further options in Adobe software (Lightroom and Photoshop) to control what it will do, but basically:

1. The pitch and roll data (divergence from horizontal) is ALWAYS recorded in the metadata of the image file.

If the camera option is set to on:

2. The viewfinder shows an outline of what will be in the image after correction is applied. Useful because correcting afterwards always seems to chop more of the frame than you expect.

3. The in-camera JPEG will be generated with the correction applied.

4. When processing the raw file in PS/LR you can choose the "Guided" option to apply the correction based on the metadata.

Further, with the appropriate options set in Lightroom (sorry, I'm a bit hazy on details for this one):

5. It will display the raw image with the correction applied. But you can remove or adjust the correction (only with the raw file, with the JPEG it is permanent once applied).

If you're interested I'd suggest having a look in the M10 section for updates around January 2021 when it first came out.

John

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/8/2022 at 3:27 AM, Qwertynm said:

I apologize for my lack of knowledge about this topic, but I have to ask to understand: what is the difference from this software correction to shooting straight/horizontal from the start? 

Yes. If space allows, you can hold the camera level. However, if you're shooting a high-rise from a block away, you can't hold the camera level. 

On 9/8/2022 at 2:09 AM, AndersPH said:

I wonder if Leica Q2 has Perspective correction as M cameras? If not how do you handle correction, just in LR?

Most software from Apple Photos to LR or Luminar has correction available.   Also, no manufacturer will put all their available options in all their cameras.  I will kill off sales of the more expensive. 

Edited by DenverSteve