IIIg flash sync failure

qqphot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two Leica IIIg bodies, both with the same problem. On either of the flash sync shutter speed positions denoted by the little arrows, the flash isn't fired at all.  On other speeds it fires, but of course isn't correctly synchronized for electronic flash.

One of the cameras' flash sync used to work fine, but came back from service (for a different problem) with sync no longer working.

The other one has never had working sync since I've had it.

The similarity leads me to think this is not exactly a random issue, but I can't follow the diagrams well enough to understand what's going on or how it could be repaired.  Anyone recognize this problem?

maybe this will help... In any case you will need to take off the top cover, you will need as well soldering iron. Drawings are from repair manual, photos are mine. Wheel 1 rotates when shutter runs. One of the inserts (like below 1) shall touch then lever 2 which closes the contacts 3. If the wires are soldered in opposite manner (see drawing like it shall be) than flash will not fire at all. If contacts 2 and 3 are not positioned correctly cintacts will not close. And if inserts are not in their places or the spring is wrong they will not close contacts.  So there are few possibilities, even the flash contact itself may be deffective (for flash not working at all)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jerzy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since it fires on some random speed settings but not the arrow positions, I suppose the wiring to the contacts is OK but probably the inserts are assembled in the wrong positions. Once I get over my fear of opening the top cover I will have to check this out.  Thank you for the very helpful information!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 5:22 PM, qqphot said:

Since it fires on some random speed settings but not the arrow positions, I suppose the wiring to the contacts is OK but probably the inserts are assembled in the wrong positions. Once I get over my fear of opening the top cover I will have to check this out.  Thank you for the very helpful information!

Hello qqphot,

Welcome to the Forum.

Are you setting the little lightning bolts to their proper positions in order for an electronic flash to operate properly?

There is a IIIg instruction book, including flash data, at the top of this page in the "Leica WIKI" in the "English" section. The English language WIKI has IIIg instructions written both in English & in German.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

On 9/23/2022 at 5:43 PM, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello qqphot,

Welcome to the Forum.

Are you setting the little lightning bolts to their proper positions in order for an electronic flash to operate properly?

There is a IIIg instruction book, including flash data, at the top of this page in the "Leica WIKI" in the "English" section. The English language WIKI has IIIg instructions written both in English & in German.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thank you. Yes, the problem is that the flash does not fire at all when set to the "lightning bolt" positions. On other speeds it fires, but of course isn't correctly synchronized for electronic flash.

• Thanks 1

I thought I'd update here in case anyone else stumbles across this, as I resolved it sort of by accident. After some use the speed setting dial on this camera developed some play and eventually would spin freely. I removed the three grub screws securing the dial, and found that the flanged collar beneath it had itself loosened to the point that it was rotating freely on the speed setting shaft and applying no downward pressure on the spring below. I returned it to its correct position and re-secured the collar's own grub screws, found the correct position for the dial and re-secured that. This resolved the loose speed dial and mysteriously also the non-functioning flash sync. In retrospect it had probably been loosening for some time.

Edited by qqphot
  • Like 2