Old Delft Minor 35mm thread

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lens carefully fitted with M10-P Reporter 😊.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Photos from October holidays at sea. Old Delft Minor 35/3.5 mostly wide open and M10-R.

Part 1:

• Like 2

Part 2:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Old Delft Minor 35/3.5 wide open & M10-R BP.

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/4/2022 at 3:47 PM, sandro said:

Al, you are showing us not only a fascinating part of optical history connected with Leica, but also fascinating examples of what this lens is still capable of, wonderful!

Lex

+1

And that wide open!

I have worked at Old Delft (Optische Industrie "De Oude Delft") in 1961. They did not manufacture this lens any more, but I was offered to get one from spare parts. I liked longer than 50mm lenses more at that time. But a colleague made decent pictures with it.

Edited by jankap
  • Like 2

Kino International (1963) in Berlin.

M10-R and Minor 35mm f/3.5 wide open.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

The shut down Tempelhof airport, now a recreational space in the heart of Berlin. One of the last pre-WWII airports in Europe. The Berlin Airlift, Operation Little Vittles and US forces accessing West Berlin during the cold war all happened here.

Leica M10-R BP, Old Delft Minor 35

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Wonderful bokeh wide open.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I’ll spoil the market a bit - when I got interested in the Alpa versions (family members have an Alpa) I read that many of their rangefinder (=early) and TTL lenses were APO lenses. And that does make a difference.

Now there has been some questioning of that term APO as used in the past vs. now. There will be a slight technical difference. Colour balance was a hot issue then; if I undertstand that nowadays also the focus point entered in the definition. But I just want to give the heads up to this lens. Also  some version of the Elmar might fall in a lax definition of apochromatic, at least having a balanced and good red channel so to speak.

Unfortunately they fog up. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2023 at 4:46 PM, Alberti said:

I’ll spoil the market a bit - when I got interested in the Alpa versions (family members have an Alpa) I read that many of their rangefinder (=early) and TTL lenses were APO lenses. And that does make a difference.

Now there has been some questioning of that term APO as used in the past vs. now. There will be a slight technical difference. Colour balance was a hot issue then; if I undertstand that nowadays also the focus point entered in the definition. But I just want to give the heads up to this lens. Also  some version of the Elmar might fall in a lax definition of apochromatic, at least having a balanced and good red channel so to speak.

The best kept APO secret in Leica universe is the 50 Summilux ASPH... Because the good Germans thought back then that both ASPH *and* APO designations on the barrel would be too much lol. Today the APO is a super strong Leica marketing tool with a hefty premium.

On 9/20/2023 at 9:46 AM, Alberti said:

Chromatic aberration is well defined in physical optics and results because different colors / wavelengths of light bend at different angles going through a medium such as glass.  Chromatic lenses are described by the ability of a lens to focus different wavelengths on the same image plane.  Achromats were invented by astronomers well before the invention of photography.  Achromats focus two wavelengths to the same plane.  The quest to improve chromatic aberrations has lead to apochromats (three wavelengths focused to the same plane) and super-achromats (four wavelengths focused to the same plane).  The achromat / apochromat / super achromat ways nothing about how far off the wavelengths are that don't focus to the same plane.

This is what Leica AG's site says:

APO: 
Stands for ‘apochromatically corrected’. In normal lens designs, blue and green light converges on one focal plane, while the (longer) wavelength of red light is refracted to a slightly different plane of focus. This effect (known as ‘chromatic aberration’, or ‘color fringing’) is more pronounced in longer focal lengths – making it a particular problem in long telephoto lenses. With APO lenses, on the other hand, the construction of the lens elements and the use of low-dispersion glass enables all colors to converge at the same point of focus – resulting in a sharper image without color fringing.

• Like 1