B&W Digital M?

dfarkas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

how much bla bla bla.......

and how much disrispect to real b/w photography........

Victor, black and white are just two colours (or rather lack or presence of all colours) so the way in which it is captured is a personal taste, which has not much to do with respect, rather with choice of medium.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

So one can safely assume if it ain't film based it is not REAL B&W photography. What a concept. I thought photography was photography no matter what the medium. It is more about your choice of the medium you want to work in, not what is better or worse and make it whatever you want to be. Sorry but i find comments like that above very one sided and completely untrue. It comes down to a powerful image not how you got there

A B&W M camera would be faster (basic ISO maybe 320–360, useable 2500) due to the absence of Bayer filtering and over-the-sensor IR filter. It might also write somewhat faster to memory, and file size would be smaller. On the other hand, on-lens colour filters would lose you all the speed you gained.

And, Vic, REAL B&W photography was done on full-plate glass plates with a wet collodion emulsion on. Don't give me that Tri-X crap.

The egregious old man from the Age of the Black Cloth

So one can safely assume if it ain't film based it is not REAL B&W photography. What a concept.

No Guy, it's the old school yard bullying syndrome, if you're not in the gang you're persecuted for choosing a different path. Constant sneers and snipes from narrow minded individuals who try to brow beat you into submission. I'm having none of it!, this type of sniping was discussed in another thread which was closed just after heavy handed remarks by a newly appointed mod.

Is it any wonder why we wish to keep ourselves to ourselves, looked upon as the black sheep of the leica community, constantly under attack by some for expressing opinions relating to photography through the digital medium. It's their narrow mindedness that shines through rather than their skill in the medium of their choice.

Live and let live, otherwise we'll be meeting for a scrap behind the bicycle shed at 3:30.

Guest guy_mancuso

LOL you bring the soda water , i will bring the Vodka and lemons. Btw thanks for the enlightening message here and so very true it seems. Guess we will go back to our hole

this type of sniping was discussed in another thread which was closed just after heavy handed remarks by a newly appointed mod.

Not only "discussed", the crap went on.

It was me who deleted the last postings and closed this thread, NOT "a newly appointed mod.".

To BOTH parties: If NOBODY is willing to listen i (and the other mods) have no problems to give EVERYBODY who shouts for it some more time for photography :mad:

Kodak made a B&W version of the 14n, why not Leica?

David

If I may digress to the OP's original post, that's the problem. If I remember correctly, Kodak owns the original patent and for some reason will not license the technology to anyone else even though they have no immediate intention of marketing a B&W (or grayscale) digital camera in the immediate future.

What i see are professional photographers treating each other like they would NEVER treat their clients! That´s disturbing.

Man, it's called competition and they hate each other ... :D

Please accept the best wishes to this thread and everyone involved from a happy amateur ... cheers! ;)

Guest guy_mancuso

This is laughable.

Social Life

Within the Leica forum, different people from various nations and cultures are interacting. In order to achieve constructive discussions all participants are obliged to interact in a civilized and respectful manner and in a manner which is not likely to cause offence to other forum members.

Aside from legal regulations (e.g. insult, defamation) so called "Netiquette" may serve as a standard for communication: Netiquette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Conflicts

In case of conflict, the following rules will apply:

Provocations by others are no justification for own aggressive behaviour. If you feel provoked, either ignore and/or use the Ignore function or report the incident to a moderator, using the appropriate button or the Private Message facility.

Conflicts between individual members will not be tolerated on the forum. Please deal with such disputes off-forum. Everyone can use the Ignore function.

If you post a statement about someone else, please consider:

Defamation of another person is prohibited in general

Publication of personal data (mail address, telephone number, email address etc) is prohibited in general -- even if made in good faith. Every person has a legal right to decide about whether to publicise their own personal data.

Forum membership requires the publicising of the member’s full name. If there is a concern that an internet search engine may find one's name, it can be varied by using special characters in such a way, that it can still be identifiable by another member. If there are advanced concerns and/or other/additional important reasons for a non-disclosure of the name please contact the administrator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

I would suggest that some may want to follow and enforce you own rules. I have done everything that the rules asked me too with regards to complaining about these offensives. i also have hundreds of e-mail support also. What else does one have to do

If I may digress to the OP's original post, that's the problem. If I remember correctly, Kodak owns the original patent and for some reason will not license the technology to anyone else even though they have no immediate intention of marketing a B&W (or grayscale) digital camera in the immediate future.

That would explain why we haven't seen even a P&S test unit to see what the market might amount to. B&W sensors are in Kodak's product inventory and are used in industry and medicine where max resolution is required. I don't know about other sensor mfrs.

Bob

B&W sensors are in Kodak's product inventory and are used in industry and medicine where max resolution is required. I don't know about other sensor mfrs.

DALSA makes B/W sensors for still capture too ... it's not a Kodak patent. If Leica is interested in building a B/W dedicated camera, they can do it right now ... I bet them not. :)

DALSA makes B/W sensors for still capture too ... it's not a Kodak patent. If Leica is interested in building a B/W dedicated camera, they can do it right now ... I bet them not. :)

Dalsa and Kodak must be working on Foveon type technology.. having a sensor (with the Foveon quirks ironed out) that can capture 16 bit, true color, with no AA filter would be very nice (and would allow for the best of both worlds.. color and B&W)

Mention of the Kodak B&W camera dredged this name from my memory:

http://www.petemyers.com/

I just had a quick look at his website but couldn't find the information I was looking for [Luminous Landscape archives might be a better bet as he has contributed articles there]. As I remember; Pete Myers had for quite some time the Kodak B&W digital camera and did extensive testing with it. He was a fan, but Kodak didn't want to pursue the camera's development. Just in case anyone is interested in doing further background reading.

.................. Chris