Worth saving original Leica box?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have several Leica bodies and lenses that I do not plan on selling anytime soon, if ever.  I'm doing some "spring" cleaning and my wife wants me to toss the original boxes as we downsize to a smaller home.  Does selling a Leica body without the original box reduce the value of the re-sale?  My cameras are a Q, M10M and a film MP.72....all of which I love and plan on using for many years to come.  Thanks.

Definitely keep the boxes and all other original accessories and paperwork.  For example, 3 years ago I purchased a used M(240) from a dealer at a very good price.  The dealer explained the lower price was due to there being only the camera, battery and charger.  Had there been the box and all original accessories and papers it would have been $500 more.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your answers.....looks like I'll be keeping the boxes.  I did also take the advice and suggested that my wife part with some of her purses and shoes.  This now leads to my second question....who on this site can recommend a good divorce lawyer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Keep the boxes.

When you sell or trade, they will not increase the value of your camera or lens. 

If you do not have them though, you will lose thousands.

So in effect it does increase the value of the camera/lens 😏

• 4 weeks later...

Talking about boxes, does anyone know why some boxes of old items (I am referring in particular to M lenses) have the serial number of the lens printed on them and some others have the serial number blank (or hand written)? Are the ones with blank serial numbers generic boxes not belonging to the actual item?