I'm back!

ralphh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Back in 2019 I bought one of the first Q2's available in the UK and instantly fell in love.  It was the best camera I'd ever owned by a mile, and I've owned high-end cameras from almost every brand (canon 1D's & 5Ds, Nikon D700, Leica typ 240, Fuji X series, etc, etc)

Just everything about the Q2 just worked for me -- literally my perfect camera in every way for documenting my life and especially my kids.  I love a fast wide prime.  28mm is easily my favourite focal length (followed by 50) and I can make it work for everything, especially with the excellent cropping ability of a 47MP sensor behind a lens that is ludicrously sharp even wide open.   The handling is great.  Autofocus is fast and reliable.   The general look and feel of the photos is very 'Leica'.  I've never been able to put my finger on what the 'Leica look' is, but no other camera brand compares for me.

Then I lost my job right at the start of COVID and had to sell it and buy a second hand X100F, which is a capable camera, but not in the same league for me 😢  I missed my Q2 for 2.5 years, but things are stable now and have been going well for a year or so, so I went and got myself another Q2.  There was no temptation to try to wait for a Q3; there is literally nothing I'd change about the Q2

This time I went for the 'Reporter', which wasn't available back in 2019 when I bought my original Q2.

I have to say I absolutely love the Reporter.  Personally I think the name is a weird choice.  To me it screams military, not newspaper reporter.  Q2 NATO would seem more appropriate, but then maybe sales in China and Russia would suffer 🤣  I also don't think it'll actually get less attention.  Probably more if anything; people are not used to seeing matt green cameras.  If you want to be invisible as a reporter then use a canon 5D.

Anyway, I love the colour and the matt texture of the paint.  It is REALLY matt and is very grippy.  And the Kevlar looks amazing and feels really nice.  The whole thing is wonderfully tactile.  I also like the toned down appearance.  The original Q2, while not a 'blingy' camera is certainly very smart, serious and expensive looking.  I love the drab look of the reporter.  It's just really a unusual and fun look.  It has a lot of personality and really doesn't seem to be taking itself too seriously.  I imagine it'll also look better and better as it wears.  The overall look is practically begging for some wear and tear to complete it.  I'm not going to accelerate that -- this camera will be a daily carry and it'll earn it's battle scars soon enough naturall.

This has got longer than intended, so I'll just end by saying it's great to be back using a Leica! :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ralphh

Glad you were able to return to the fold and congratulations on the new acquisition!

I totally agree with you about the Q2. My journey took me through all the major brands except for Nikon. The only thing that came close for me was the Sony RX1. That was where I first realized that I like the portability, utility and simplicity offered by a full frame with a fixed lens. If I was buying a Q2 today I'd opt for the Reporter. 

My first Leica was a black paint M4 in 1976.

Since then have had IIIg with lenses, R3 with lenses and M6 with lenses.  Over the years I would sell them either because I needed the $$...or I would decide to try another brand.

Always regretted it.  Got my Q about four years...it will be the last camera I own.  I finally learned my lesson :)

Edited by bobtodrick

8 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

My first Leica was a black paint M4 in 1976.

Since then have had IIIg with lenses, R3 with lenses and M6 with lenses.  Over the years I would sell them either because I needed the $$...or I would decide to try another brand.

Always regretted it.  Got my Q about four years...it will be the last camera I own.  I finally learned my lesson :)

I feel very much like that about my Q2; with every other camera I've owned I've been wondering what the next version will bring.  With the Q2 I feel like I'll be using it until one of us dies.

6 hours ago, ralphh said:

I feel very much like that about my Q2; with every other camera I've owned I've been wondering what the next version will bring.  With the Q2 I feel like I'll be using it until one of us dies.

I've been wondering if the Q2 could be my last camera. I'm not sure what a Q3 could offer that I really need aside from the convenience of in-camera charging via USB-C. And that would not be enough of an upgrade to justify the cost unless my Q2 died.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

USB-C changing and file transfer would be really nice. And then they could put a base plate like the M's used to have. They will probably add the current 60m triple resolution sensor from the m11. And a few other minor button layout refinements etc. A joystick for AF points would be nice.

The level of change will likely be similar as that from Q1 to Q2, however none of that would justify an upgrade for me.  Theres plenty of reasons to want more MP than the Q1, but I don't find having more than the Q2 attractive - 47 is plenty.

I cannot imagine anything they could add that would make an upgrade tempting for me.

I've been into photography for 20 years and owned just about every type of camera with a 35mm or smaller sensor and I have never felt like "ok, I'm done buying camera now" before.

It was a sad day when I had to sell my Q2 a couple years ago and im so happy to have one again.

Edited by ralphh

I am so pleased by your reported change of fortunes, and it is great that you are reunited, albeit with a different variant. You are right in your judgement on suitability. Too many users yearn for upgrades, without declaring a demonstrable need. I still enjoy my original Leica Q. Enjoy!

Welcome back 👍😁

Q2 is a great camera. I almost sold mine, well I did in fact, but replaced it recently with a Reporter version. Agree with all your comments about the finish (just hope the strap lugs dont come apart) - but there seem to be few instances of that. I was going to sell the Q2 and keep the money for the mooted SL2S Reporter, but as I have the SL601 still I didnt really fancy another heavy camera - along with more of the lens anxiety that goes with ILCs.

It was also interesting that I thought that what could I want with a Q3 even, as well as yes this could be the last camera I buy too. 🤪

On 9/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, iRandom said:

Glad you were able to return to the fold and congratulations on the new acquisition!

I totally agree with you about the Q2. My journey took me through all the major brands except for Nikon. The only thing that came close for me was the Sony RX1. That was where I first realized that I like the portability, utility and simplicity offered by a full frame with a fixed lens. If I was buying a Q2 today I'd opt for the Reporter. 

I had a Q2, should have kept it. I now have a Q2M and am keeping it! For colour I’m using a Sony RX1R, which has excellent IQ. Debating whether to sell both and get another Q2…